A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,502
Currently Running With Scissors:
545 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Anthropologie Inspired Apron With Tute! (pic heavy)  (Read 4155 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , pattern  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Interrobam
she-who-is-relatively-good-at-several-things

as human as humanly possible

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: February 01, 2012 08:35:03 PM »

For the Craft This Tote Round 2 Swap my partner wanted an apron, and said she loved Anthropologie's aprons, so after examining their selection and choosing a few to take inspiration from ( this apron for the color scheme and general design and this apron for the pockets) I began to look at some patterns online. I wasn'’t entirely happy with them, so I started drafting my pattern and ended up with this:

Ta da! (The sunlight sort of makes the ruffles invisible here, but my partner posted better pictures of them on the tote gallery here )

Here it is with a poofy 50’s petticoat

Side with petti

Back with petti

The top is just some white fabric I had around (probably originally a sheet from the Salvation Army because I’m cheap thrifty like that) and the skirt is some upholstery fabric I inherited from my grandmother.

Details Time!

Pocket.

Waistband where I joined the fabric.

Ruffles.

But how to make this apron for yourself? Behold, a tutorial!

Note that the patterns are not proportionate to one another as depicted in the above picture, and that the dotted arrows  on some pieces show the pattern “direction” I used.

First, cut out all of your pieces. I forgot to put in the neck ties, which should be two 20” by 6” rectangles. I made the skirt, pockets, and waistband out of patterned fabric, and the top, ruffles, and ties out of white fabric. You will also need 40” of seam tape.

Sew your waist ties and neck ties. Do this by folding them in half and sewing along the long side and one short side, then turning them inside out and ironing them. I made the ends of mine rounded, but they could be made square or pointed.

Take your three ruffle pieces and hem them on both long sides 1/3 inch. Then sew a straight line of thread down the middle of the ruffles to gather them. To facilitate gathering use the lowest tension and largest straight stiches on your machine, or use a gathering foot if you have one. (I folded my ruffle pieces in half and ironed them so that they had a crease in the middle, which helped me sew the gathering line straight.)

Gather the ruffles to half their original length and pin them onto one of the apron top pieces so that one is in the middle and the other two are on each side. Sew (with normal tension and length) the ruffles to the top piece down the gathering lines.

Take your neck ties and baste or pin them to the top of the apron top piece. Lay the other top piece on top (with the straps and ruffles sandwiched in between the two top pieces) and sew up the sides and top of the pieces. Turn it inside out and sew along the sides and top again to secure the shape and fortify the straps.

Take your waistband and lay it right side down over the ruffled side of your apron top so that the bottom of the top and the long side of the waistband line up (note: the waistband will be longer than the apron top, so try to make sure the amount of “extra” waistband on each side is even) and sew them together.

Sew pocket A to pocket B, right sides out, and sew ¼ inch along the two longest sides of pocket B. Turn the pocket inside out and sew ½ inch along the largest sides again. It might help to think of this part as a French seam that stays inside out. Then line up the diagonal side of pocket B with one of the diagonal corners of the apron skirt so that the right sides face each other and sew along the diagonal. Turn the pocket around so that the pocket A lines up with the sides of the apron skirt. See picture below for a hopefully more understandable explanation of this part.

Do the other pocket this way. Make sure, if you have a directional pattern, that both pocket A pieces are facing the same way (I got one pocket scales up, another scales down, the first time I put the pockets on. : / Learn from my mistakes!) Pin the inner corners of your pockets into the apron skirt and hand stich a tiny stich to keep them in place (see below picture for what that looked like on my apron) If your stich is small and it matches the color of your skirt well, it will be nearly invisible but keep your pockets well behaved.

Now sew a gathering stich across the top of the apron skirt in between the pockets and gather it to the length of the waistband. Pin the apron skirt to the waistband with their right sides facing and sew them together.

Take two 20” seam tapes and sew them to cover up the raw seams where the apron top and skirt meet the waistband.  Iron them so they both face inward (see pictures bellow for what that looks like, it’s weird to explain) then sew them into place.

Baste the waist ties to the edges of the waistband and hem the bottom of the apron skirt ½ inch. Then, treating the entire skirt (including pockets and waistband) as one whole rectangle, hem the sides ½ inch. This hem covers the raw sides of the apron skirt piece, closes the third side of the pocket, and secures the waistbands. The fabric will be very thick at places, go slowly and use a strong needle!

Enjoy your new apron!
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012 08:59:50 PM by Interrobam » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mini Halloween Swap: Package: SENT and RECEIVED

Pinterest
FadingHippie
and God sees a flower...

Ruffles and Pearls... and Anthropologie Delights

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012 09:26:19 PM »

I knew immediately from the small gallery pic that it was Anthro inspired...

<3 !
THIS ROCKS   Logged

phnxreign99
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012 09:40:43 PM »

Love it!  The ruffles are great  Cool
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Got this piece of shrinky dink ... had it for 25 years now.  It's moved to five states and one European country ... and I just know, someday ... SOMEDAY ... I WILL use it!
Midnight Sun
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

The northern lights have seen queer sights.....

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012 05:50:21 AM »

Very pretty apron!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"OH MY GOD! Pot Smoking!? You know what that leads to?! MUNCHIES! And you know what THAT means: TRANS-FAT. God knows, you don't want your kids getting into THAT."

-- Pauline
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Installing a Web Widget in Dreamweaver CS4
Creating a Flash Gallery Using Bridge CS4
Linking Pages, Graphics, and Web Sites Using Dreamweaver CS4
Using Behaviors in Dreamweaver CS4
Adjusting a Web Layout in CSS
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...