A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 304,752
Currently Running With Scissors:
791 Guests and 45 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Home made English Muffins  (Read 3873 times)
Tags for this thread: featured_project , craftster_best_of_2012 , recipe  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

LadyDeath2007
« on: February 01, 2012 06:08:52 PM »

I been wanting to make these for a long time.  I made them last week.  They came out really good, and tasted just like english muffins you get in the store.

here the recipe
1 3/4 cups (14 ounces) milk, warm
3 tablespoons (1 1/2 ounces) butter
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons (7/8 ounce) granulated sugar
1 large egg, lightly beaten
4 to 4 1/4 cups (17 to 18 ounces) King Arthur Unbleached Bread Flour
2 teaspoons instant yeast

Place the ingredients in the pan of your bread machine following the manufacturer's instructions. Use the "dough" or "manual" setting. After the cycle is complete, transfer the dough to a cornmeal-sprinkled surface and roll it out until it's about 1/2-inch thick. Cut out circles with a floured 3-inch cutter. Re-roll and cut out the leftover dough. Cover the muffins with a damp cloth and let rest for about 20 minutes.

Heat a frying pan or griddle to very low heat. Do not grease, but sprinkle with cornmeal. Cook four muffins at a time, cornmeal side down first, for about 7 minutes a side.

Check after about 3 to 4 minutes to see that the muffins are browning gently and are neither too dark nor too light; if they seem to be cooking either too fast or too slowly, adjust the temperature of your pan or griddle.

When the muffins are brown on both sides, transfer them to a wire rack to cool, and proceed with the rest. If you have two frying pans (or a large griddle), you'll be better able to keep up with your rising muffins. Yield: 16 muffins.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013 02:55:29 PM by sweets4ever - Reason: Edited to add recipe to first post :) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Love Cute Sushi.  Purchas here http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=8250505
charlieandwillow

Professional viking-tamer & bear-wrangler.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012 06:24:53 PM »

Oh my god I love muffins! They're one of the foods from home I really miss. Would you make this English girl a very happy dinosaur and share your recipe? They look utterly perfect!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LadyDeath2007
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012 06:39:23 PM »

here the recipe
1 3/4 cups (14 ounces) milk, warm
3 tablespoons (1 1/2 ounces) butter
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons (7/8 ounce) granulated sugar
1 large egg, lightly beaten
4 to 4 1/4 cups (17 to 18 ounces) King Arthur Unbleached Bread Flour
2 teaspoons instant yeast

Place the ingredients in the pan of your bread machine following the manufacturer's instructions. Use the "dough" or "manual" setting. After the cycle is complete, transfer the dough to a cornmeal-sprinkled surface and roll it out until it's about 1/2-inch thick. Cut out circles with a floured 3-inch cutter. Re-roll and cut out the leftover dough. Cover the muffins with a damp cloth and let rest for about 20 minutes.

Heat a frying pan or griddle to very low heat. Do not grease, but sprinkle with cornmeal. Cook four muffins at a time, cornmeal side down first, for about 7 minutes a side.

Check after about 3 to 4 minutes to see that the muffins are browning gently and are neither too dark nor too light; if they seem to be cooking either too fast or too slowly, adjust the temperature of your pan or griddle.

When the muffins are brown on both sides, transfer them to a wire rack to cool, and proceed with the rest. If you have two frying pans (or a large griddle), you'll be better able to keep up with your rising muffins. Yield: 16 muffins.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

charlieandwillow

Professional viking-tamer & bear-wrangler.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012 06:59:16 PM »

Oh, that sounds do-able. However, I don't have a breadmaker. Would mixing the dough with my stand mixer or by hand work? Does it need time to rise and then be knocked back before rolling out? Sorry for the barrage of questions, I'm kind of excited by how easy they sound (for some reason I'd always assumed they would be a complex little beastie to cook).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LadyDeath2007
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012 07:15:06 PM »

I guess you can.  this recipe is from king aruthor flour.  my machine take 1 hour and a haft to make the dough. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cassiem
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012 07:25:20 PM »

You can make English muffins with a regular stand mixer, or even by hand.  I haven't used this exact recipe (the one we've used came from a cookbook), but ours turned out very well.  You'd want to let it rise a bit before you roll it out and cut it, obviously, because that's part of what the bread maker does, but it shouldn't be too hard to do.

LadyDeath, yours look phenomenal!  I like how puffy they are - ours turned out a bit flatter, but I think our yeast was old.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LadyDeath2007
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2012 09:21:30 PM »

You can make English muffins with a regular stand mixer, or even by hand.  I haven't used this exact recipe (the one we've used came from a cookbook), but ours turned out very well.  You'd want to let it rise a bit before you roll it out and cut it, obviously, because that's part of what the bread maker does, but it shouldn't be too hard to do.

LadyDeath, yours look phenomenal!  I like how puffy they are - ours turned out a bit flatter, but I think our yeast was old.

Thanks.  This was the first time making them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jinjeet Phoenix
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2012 12:19:56 AM »

These look so good and tempting. I haven't had English Muffins in years.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mrsflibble

will work for yarn

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2012 09:12:53 AM »

these look amazing, and I figure the recipe is adaptable to make something my local supermarket stopped making years ago: spiced raisin ones!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Trekky
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2012 04:09:06 PM »

Wow! They look amazing!

As an English person I have actually NEVER thought of making muffins until today (and now I sooooo want to!)  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://craftytrekky.blogspot.com/

I have lots of train tickets (I get the train most days), if anyone wants some for papercrafting just send me a PM Smiley
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Summer Beauty Bag Essentials
How to Choose Makeup Brushes
How to Fix Polish Stained Nails
Lip Plumper Product Review
A Cancer Survivor Gets the Makeover of Her Dreams
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: Featured Artist Katrina Polacek
October 15, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...