A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 300,938
Currently Running With Scissors:
728 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Roller Derby Trophy #3  (Read 2507 times)
Tags for this thread: roller_derby  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Kitten Wrangler
Somewhere, somehow, Connex is to blame

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: February 01, 2012 08:25:37 AM »

So, apparently I've garnered a reputation in my league for being all handy with the craft-type-things. Sooooo..... some of my derby girls organised a bout that featured the Vagine Regime NSW vs Vagine Regime VIC - possibly and probably the first queer bout held in Australia. They asked me if I would make the trophy for the winners. Hellz yeah, I would!! The request was to make the trophy look like the image on the flyer, and to make it a perpetual trophy if possible. I also realised that if (quelle horreur) NSW were to win, it would need to be something that they could take away immediately, and not have to wait for stuff to be engraved/whatever.

I had such fun making this - and it was sooo cheap as well - I think I only paid for the Barbies and their skate wheels - everything else was from my stash. Unfortunately, it also reaffirmed my hoarder tendencies, as a lot of the materials used were things I was on the brink of throwing out, because they were 'useless'.

I've marked it as 'mature image', coz I know what the logo is of... but I don't think it's offensive or 'mature' at all. And I know a bunch of girls who took quite a while to twig to it...  Grin

Anyhows, here goes. This is the completed trophy, sitting on the MC's table:

to change your image viewing settings please click here

YAY! And here's the in progress shots.

Take two Barbies, and amputate them at the knees. Scalded myself over a pot of boiling water, trying to make the feet fold back in the way I needed them to.

Just like a real skater - knee reconstructions all around!!! They needed to bend at a 90 degree angle... so I stuck a straw into each leg to act as support, then sticky-taped the lower limbs into place, and filled the gap with glue, hoping that something - anything - would hold. Which it did. Not successfully, but enough for my purposes at this point in time.

Haircut and paint job. Blonde Barbie had glue combed through her hair, and it was left to dry sticking up on her head. I then shaved/cut the hair into this sticky-up flick-back quiff. The gold pain is actually fabric paint - I've had bad bad experiences before with plastics and spray paints, but this seemed to work just fine - and i just wanted a gold base... there was something else to add later to make it really shine.

Starting to come together....

Starting to fashion some clothing for our lovely skaters. I handstitched all the clothing - I did contemplate using the machine, but decided that was more trouble than it was worth. Brunette has a nice crinkly tank top, Blonde is displaying her knee-high socks. The socks were actually made from narrow strapping tape I had from when I severely fucked my thumb up at training one night. Two lengths, sewn up the edges, and voila! Serviceable Barbie-sized socks.

I am SO proud of these skates, it's ridiculous. I traced Barbie's foot onto a piece of card, and then stuck the card to vinyl and cut out four soles. Four rectangles of vinyl, and each rectangle was hand-stitched to a sole to form the boot. I then cut two slits to form the tongue, and folded over the other edges to form the eyelet/laced up part of the boot. Each boot was then stitched onto Barbie's foot, with the stitches forming the 'laces'. The wheels are, quite simply, awesome. I bought a few of those finger-board toys - you know, skateboards for your fingers?? Removed the wheels from them and made new axles by whittling down toothpicks. Yes, whittled. The toothpicks were too thick. Yikes. The silver colouring of the axles is actually the security foil from a packet of pills. It's not as fragile as aluminium foil. The wheels + axles were glued directly onto the boot.

Blonde wears a cream leotard (with a daring neckline) and a super short pink skirt. You can see the laces well in this photo.

Blonde also has a tattoo. The fingerboards came with stickers, a couple of which looked enough like tattoos, so... I stuck them on! Look at that minx - kicking out her heels and showing off her skates!

Here's Brunette with her rather wicked dragon tatt. The OTT glitz came from glitter. BLOODY GLITTER! Painstakingly glued and daubed onto all the visible body bits. Brunette's hair is also cut now, into a lovely little asymmetrical bob with some trailing rattails.

Brunette is wearing fishnets - just an old knee-high fishnet I didn't really have much use for anymore. HAND STITCHED (eep) onto each leg, so there's a stylish seam running up the back of each of her legs. I also fashioned her a tight little pair of black stretch shorts to wear.

to change your image viewing settings please click here
And one last time, the final trophy. The base that they're glued to is actually 8 CDs, glued into two stacks and covered in gold stretch fabric, and then glued together. Where they met wasn't too stable, so I just used an old public transport ticket folded into three and glued across the bottom to help strengthen it.
I'm also really proud of the map of Australia they're holding up. It's the Vagine Regime Australia logo, and is made from some foamcore board scrap I had been contemplating tossing, covered on the back and around the side with this nice rough packing paper that myrobotnation uses when they mail me a robot. Sealed, of course, with mod podge. The front is just normal computer paper, with the black lines painted on. The idea is that each year, each team can just grab a sharpie and write the winner on the map - no need to bother with anything fancier.

OH! And yeah - I used electricians tape and a bit of stuffing to fashion their kneepads - which also covered up their surgery scars. BRILLIANT!

The trophy was apparently well appreciated - my mates kept on telling me how awesome it was, and I kept on getting unexpected hugs from the organisers. YAY!  I love it when the stuff I make is a success. Now, if only I could make a career out of derby trophy creation.... sigh.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012 08:33:24 AM by Kitten Wrangler » THIS ROCKS   Logged

If I should die of smallpox
Put my remains in my snuff box
LimeRiot
Image Reproduction Techniques Moderator
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Sublime

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012 09:28:46 AM »

This is awesome! Definitely a success!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

emosauce

Too many ideas, so little time!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012 10:51:49 AM »

This is gonna sound weird, but I like the pictures with all the severed Barbie limbs. Cheesy Also, I didn't know what the logo was supposed to be until I saw that you marked it mature... and then I was like, ooooohhhhhhhh!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
spidermom
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012 01:19:38 PM »

i love any project that involves making Barbie badass!  bet it was loads of fun to make  Grin  awesome show of patience with that glitter, that stuff is a major pain!  very cool project!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ramblings-- http://friendlyneighborhoodspidermom.blogspot.com/
more stuff--http://www.pinterest.com/spidermom78/
Kitten Wrangler
Somewhere, somehow, Connex is to blame

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012 09:58:31 PM »

It was LOADS of fun to make!!! I always love making stuff on request Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If I should die of smallpox
Put my remains in my snuff box
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Reflective Wristbands for Halloween
How to Sculpt a Halloween Pumpkin
How to Make a Spooky Halloween Ghost Ornaments from Gauze
How to Make a Halloween Tablecloth
Designing a Quick and Easy Halloween Bag
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...