A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 299,125
Currently Running With Scissors:
674 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: `*Bag & Bracelet Swap*` Gallery  (Read 11270 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MyrnaLoy
Queen of All of the World

I never spoke to warn the Ghost Tart of Stockholm

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 12, 2005 04:19:51 PM »

I rescind my former statement.

I received a PM from a fellow craftster who stated that she saw the bag that I received yesterday at the dollar tree. Since I was heading by the dollar tree on the way to the grocery this afternoon, I decided to pay them a visit.

I asked the girl behind the counter if she had ever seen this bag before. She replied with an empathetic "Oh yes." I asked her if they were currently in stock and she said no. To me, this means they have sold out and god knows how many people in Portland, not to mention the rest of the United States have this bag.

I will now quote the details of the swap:
"Details of swap: This is a swap for all the purse addicted, bracelet wearing craftsters out there.  The idea is to create a bag of any kind (trying to stick with what your partner likes/dislikes, of course) and creating a dazzling new bracelet to match.  Sew it, knit it, make it out of something funky -- It's up to you!  Having a new bag just seems better when you have a little something on your wrist to match, which looks extra cute when you carry a clutch, I might add!"

Now, this is wrong on so many levels:

1) The bag I received made me feel bad. It looked so professional, that in comparison my bags look horrible. I stated to my husband "This woman is so good! I can't believe it! I could never do something this good!" I even thought "who am I trying to kid, starting a business to sell bags... no one would want to purchase one of mine if handmade ones like this were out there.

2) I put time, money and effort into the bag I made for my partner. I made it to be what she requested. I aim to please. The person who sent to me, however, put almost no time or effort into what I received. She may have glued some sparkles on the bag or something, but that doesn't make the bag handcrafted.

3) I pride myself on my handbags. I love the fact that every one I own I made myself. They're original, they're unique, and they express who I am. They have soul. This bag, being mass-produced does not.

4) I campaign for workers rights. I'm pro-union and I think everyone in the world should work in safe, clean, and healthy environments. This purse, which was purchased for a dollar, was probably made in a sweatshop. And that makes me sick.

This was my first swap. I was really jazzed about it at first, but now I've become disheartened. How many other people have my swap partner done this to? Does this happen often? Will it happen to me again? I feel cheated and hurt.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

yes please! I'd love to swap ATC's with you.
carina
« Reply #51 on: July 12, 2005 04:24:47 PM »

That is sad... I don't think it happened to me before. I've received many bags that amaze me, because I can't sew, only knit.
Please, don't be sad. If you want, I'd be glad to knit you a purse, if you could wait sometime for it, I'm kind of full of projects right now...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

What does not kill you, only makes you stronger
Mayviss
« Reply #52 on: July 12, 2005 04:43:50 PM »

I received a PM from a fellow craftster who stated that she saw the bag that I received yesterday at the dollar tree.

The bag I received was also store bought - I am glad to not be the only one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
emma bo bemma

My hovercraft is full of eels.

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 12, 2005 04:46:57 PM »

I received a PM from a fellow craftster who stated that she saw the bag that I received yesterday at the dollar tree.

The bag I received was also store bought - I am glad to not be the only one.

No way!! That's awful! Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged

when you think the night has seen your mind
that inside you're twisted and unkind
let me stand to show that you are blind
carina
« Reply #54 on: July 12, 2005 04:48:53 PM »

Geeze. That's scary...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Flareon
« Reply #55 on: July 12, 2005 05:05:55 PM »

Just to play devils's advocate for a moment:

Did msrockchick and mommiemed purposely try to pass off a store-bought item as handmade?  Like did they write a note, "I made this for you, enjoy"?  Maybe they misread the directions.  Believe me, I'm as appalled as anyone would be, but let's give them a chance to explain themselves. 

I'm sure any decent human would apologise for their error and take necessary steps to make things right. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
carina
« Reply #56 on: July 12, 2005 05:09:51 PM »

Just to play devils's advocate for a moment:

Did msrockchick and mommiemed purposely try to pass off a store-bought item as handmade?  Like did they write a note, "I made this for you, enjoy"?  Maybe they misread the directions.  Believe me, I'm as appalled as anyone would be, but let's give them a chance to explain themselves. 

I'm sure any decent human would apologise for their error and take necessary steps to make things right. 

You're right. I've received a bought tote decorated with some lovely otters that I loved, but my partner said she had bought the tote.. so.. maybe this was a mistake..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SugarGliders101
« Reply #57 on: July 12, 2005 05:23:17 PM »

The one I recieved was also bought, but I could tell she took time to decorate it and she also had other items in there for me. (like the BEAUTIFUL bracelet) Maybe she made the bracelets and just didnt have time to hand craft a bag before the send date...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pibbgirl
« Reply #58 on: July 12, 2005 05:33:21 PM »

I thought I had seen that bag at the dollar store...I think its in stock here.   I too have received packages from swaps here that were obviously completely picked up off the clearance rack and not crafted at all (not this one!) or even craft related items.  Its very disappointing, but mostly they aren't like this.  I hope you don't get turned off of swapping because it can be really fun and addicting!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

krafty-kritter

I'm obsessed with crafts :oD

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 12, 2005 08:47:31 PM »

I'm sorry to hear that boughten bags have been used in my swap.  I spend hours on every bag I make for myself, ones I make to sell, and ones I make for a swap. My feelings are, if you can't sew, knit, or actually use various, unique items to create a bag on your own, then you shouldn't have joined a swap that uses one of the skills above to create a bag--the biggest and main item of the swap.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Boredom" is not in a crafter's vocabulary.

My ETSY Shop
http://sonya.etsy.com

-- ADD ME to Myspace --
http://www.myspace.com/silver_stardust
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Making a Mural with Michelle Ortiz
Meet Young Manga Artist Lilly Cernak
Manga Artist Lilly Cernak at Work
Meet Calligrapher Eleanor Aisha Holland
Calligrapher Eleanor Aisha Holland at Work
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...