A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 300,923
Currently Running With Scissors:
623 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 45
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Bookmark Swap Round 5 (Sign ups CLOSED-Sendouts 3/1)  (Read 48947 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

SaralaAnne
Stitch Bitch.

Sitting in my room, with a needle in my hand...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #410 on: February 29, 2012 08:38:09 AM »

I've only ever used contact paper to seal before. Let me know how the modge podge works id you try it Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest!

Current Swap(s):
Currently on a swap break...
YumJello01

Cats make for furry crafts

« Reply #411 on: February 29, 2012 09:03:22 AM »

I guess the purple cow laminator was about worth $10, but don't spend any more on it... I am going to have to rethink all of my bookmarks now, my great plan is not working. Cry
Has anyone used mod podge to seal their bookmarks? I'm worried that it will become tacky and ruin books. I know it's a bit late to be asking...
The last round I was in, one of my partners used packing tape to emulate lamination - I imagine it'll need a steady hand and possibly some trimming depending on the size of your bookmarks.  Just a thought!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking for book page paper flowers for my sister's wedding!  Will do personal swaps/swaps for supplies (available listed here) Thanks!

http://pinterest.com/yumjello01/
bunny1kenobi
Ruler of the Roost, Protector of the Progeny, Conqueror of Comestibles, Chieftain of Chores, Consort Extraordinaire, and Crafty to Boot!

Best of 2013 Winner! I like my avatar, tho....

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #412 on: February 29, 2012 09:55:51 AM »

Gray ladies -- all of my bookmarks have now been sent!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

goddessgarb
Artful Journeyer

I am not your carpet ride; I am the sky...

« Reply #413 on: February 29, 2012 10:08:37 AM »

In art journaling, they use acrylic gel medium as glue and sealant, both.  Matte, not gloss, acrylic medium won't get sticky.  Mod Podge does tend to stay a bit sticky.  Gel matte medium is thick and will strengthen things great.  If you put on a sealant and it stays tacky after drying, you can dust it with baby powder, or crumple up a piece of waxed paper and rub it over it.  And if it buckles the bookmark, put the bookmark under some heavy books to flatten it out.

For mine this time, I sprayed them with acrylic varnish.  I didn't want to brush anything over them, since they are watercolor.  I hope it works.  I know they weren't sticky afterward, anyway.  For smaller ones, good old packing tape works great as long as it won't hurt the design.

I guess the purple cow laminator was about worth $10, but don't spend any more on it... I am going to have to rethink all of my bookmarks now, my great plan is not working. Cry
Has anyone used mod podge to seal their bookmarks? I'm worried that it will become tacky and ruin books. I know it's a bit late to be asking...

I just used regular clear lamenting sheets (aka contact paper) on my watercolored ones.  It worked pretty well.  Though I don't see any reason why mod podge wouldn't work, either.

The only problem I have ever had with modge podge is the paper getting kind of "bendy" (aka "not flat").  I have never tried it, but maybe waiting until it's tacky-dry and then putting  it in plastic wrap and covering with something heavy to make it flat?

I never even considered how I was going to make them sturdier...I'm only trying to figure out how to get them done in time...  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://theartfuljourney.wordpress.com
Paper and Ephemera Swap Rd. 11 http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=431439.20
Open to Personal Swapping, esp. mail art, supplies, and ephemera
Summer6061
Summer break in full swing

Lookin' good!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #414 on: February 29, 2012 11:24:20 AM »

I've used mod podge on a bookmark in the past. It worked really well and I still use the bookmark.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Procrastination is killing me slowly...I'm going to put an end to that first thing tomorrow!
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #415 on: February 29, 2012 11:40:14 AM »

I've shipped out!  And I'd like to apollogize, if my partners inboxes here on C-ster get multiple copies of my "I sent!" PM.  The computer didn't look like it was doing anything, so I clicked send a couple times...  Undecided 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gozer

If only Mogwai were real... at least we have Bigfoot

« Reply #416 on: February 29, 2012 12:36:13 PM »

I think the Modge Podge depends on the climate where you live. I know I used it on some of my first ATC's and a couple of them were sticky still and stuck to the cards I sent them with. I was told that spraying them with a clear acrylic would keep them from staying tacky.
 I finally got mine out today. It was a relief just to send because I have second guessed them so much. Now I feel like it is out of my hands and I can't rip open the package and "fix" anything. LOL! I did enjoy the making them so I hope everyone enjoys what I came up with.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

meowari

« Reply #417 on: February 29, 2012 12:45:44 PM »

I woke up at 5 to a message that I didn't have to come in early today, but I still only got a little bit of crafting in this morning... I feel so bad, but I reall don't think I'm going to get my bookmarks out until Saturday.  Embarrassed
I tried ModPodge on one (on a part that won't be in a book), and I did get a buckling. Of course, I used the glossy, even though I have matte sitting right next to it... I'll put some wax paper over it and put it under a heavy book tonight to see if it flattens it. I think I might try packing tape on the other ones.
Every single time I think a swap is going to be easy, it winds up being so darn complicated... Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dewshinesdopp
« Reply #418 on: February 29, 2012 04:24:26 PM »

woo hoo!  2 down, 2 to go Smiley  My medicine is kicking in though, so I am done for the night.  Being sick when i want to craft stinks! Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

zzdia

oh-my-golly-wow-bananas

« Reply #419 on: February 29, 2012 05:21:02 PM »

I'm all finished, but I don't know if I can send them out today. I'll try to get them sent out after lunch today, but I may not be able to get out today. I'll be sure to PM SaralaAnne and YumJello01 if I can't today.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

blog :: pinterest

Swapping international? Read up on swapping tips!

Tomorrow is another day. Never say die. Tomorrow is the day I die
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Meet Author Glenn Beck
Meet Author Allison Dubois
Sanjaya Malakar Reveals Who He Admires Most
Harriet Evans Talks About The Love of Her Life
Behind the Scenes with Matt Van Fleet
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...