A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 302,969
Currently Running With Scissors:
487 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tomatoes, Sunflowers, and Rose Hips! Oh my!  (Read 594 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

elliot_anne
« on: January 30, 2012 03:38:00 PM »

So I decided that since today was so lovely (70 and breezy here in lovely Southern California), I would go take a look at what's ready for harvest in our yard.

I started with the little lemon bush we have. It's a sad little thing in the front yard. It would probably be much bigger and healthier if it had more space (it's growing in the small dirt patch between the walkway and the driveway. Only a few of the lemons were ripe, but that's ok. I couldn't eat a whole ton all at once anyway.

Next I went out back and checked on the avocado tree. Nothing ready, but they're starting to grow bigger and plump up (can't wait til they're ready!!).

Then I went over to our monster cherry tomato bush. Sean's step-dad used to plant cherry tomatoes between all the rose bushes when he lived here. He would have to tear them out and replant every year, because they never made it longer than a season. He hasn't lived here in a year and a half, and I haven't replanted anything. There are only two cherry tomato bushes left, and one of them is kind of sad-looking (probably needs a trellis to climb up). The other one, however, decided to take over on of the rose bushes it was planted next to. Now this plant is a monster rose/tomato hybrid, and a monster to try to harvest. You have to wear thick gloves because the rose bush is all tangled with the tomatoes, and it's just not nice. However, the tomatoes go CRAZY. They love it! I got a huge bunch of them - awesome considering most people aren't even planting their tomatoes yet!

Also, a random orange that fell over the wall from the neighbor's yard. Score!

A while back, Sean noticed this weird "weed" growing in the middle of the yard. He was cleaning up, and decided to pull it. "WAIT!" I said, "It looks like it's going to bloom or something! Let's just give it a week or two and see what it does. There aren't any other plants nearby, so it isn't hurting anything to leave it." So we waited. Sure enough a week or so later, it turned into a sunflower! We have no idea where it came from, or how the seed came to be planted in our backyard. We don't really water any of the plants (they all seem to be doing just fine without our help!), so it's just one big mystery how it got there and survived.

Today I decided to harvest it. I looked up online how long to wait and when to harvest and what not (the flower has long-since died, and all the petals fell off - I was afraid I had waited too long, and would lose all the seeds). Turns out, I waited just the right amount of time! Awesome!!

I'm amazed at just how many seeds came out of this one sunflower! I'm not quite sure what to do with them all.

Also, I was looking at our rose bushes. Most of them aren't blooming right now - it hasn't been warm enough. But one of them has these big giant rose hips. Does anyone know how/when to harvest those? I tried looking it up, but I don't know which type of roses they are (all of them are different, and they aren't labelled or anything). Here's a picture of some of the rose hips now.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2012 03:39:14 PM by elliot_anne » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Momof2!
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012 04:30:37 PM »

Oh wow, I'm so jealous! I'm in SC and we don't even plant until April (sometimes May).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I need peg people for my daughter. Personal swap anyone?
Jinjeet Phoenix
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012 11:40:16 AM »

Wow! What a yield. Wish I was lucky enough that I didn't need to water. Great special surprise that sunflower. They are so pretty then they give gifts. I'd put them into muffins or bread. You can add them to your salads or just eat them as is. I'd lay them out in one layer on a baking tray. Spray some salted water on them and put them in a very low heated oven til you can see dry salt on the shells.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Halloween Costume Stories
Lisa Jones Talks About Broken
P.J. Bracegirdle Talks About Fiendish Deeds
Meet Author Hester Browne
Jonathan Segura: Discusses His Debut Novel Occupational Hazards
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...