A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,519
Currently Running With Scissors:
631 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Yet Another Pricing Question  (Read 477 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ADDCrafting
« on: January 29, 2012 08:24:52 PM »

So I've seen the FAQ about pricing your work, and I've read over other people's discussions about how to include your time in the price of the product. My problem is dealing with products I already have listed and have already sold, which brings some issues.

One of my most popular products is a rather niche item. I sell pacifier clips for adults who practice age regression, or as I like to call them, "big kids." I first thought this would be a good idea for a product because I knew prospective customers who said they had problems finding long enough pacifier clips, and when I tried googling it myself my searches came up pretty empty. So when I set the price, I was basing it on smaller baby sized pacifier clips. I didn't want to price them that much higher than those because it's not that much more fabric and it doesn't take me any longer to make a big one than it would a small one. So I've priced them around $7.

Now someone else has started selling pacifier clips for big kids on Etsy and they're selling theirs for $13. But they sell ones that are made from ribbon, and mine are made with fabric (way more sewing involved). They haven't sold any individual clips on Etsy yet, so I can't say for sure that the market supports that kind of price. But I'm starting to think I should raise my prices. I don't feel I would be able to do any kind of drastic price increase, though.

If I went ahead and raised my prices do you think prior customers would be turned off? Or would that whole "perceived value" thing actually end up helping my sales?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I sew, crochet, bead, make natural toys for kitties, and so much more.
Homepage | Etsy | Zibbet | Ravelry
jungrrl
Global Moderator
Crafty Business Advice Moderator
Toys, Dolls, and Playthings Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a portmanteau.

Former Full-time Craftster-er

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012 02:23:39 PM »

I think you'd be fine to raise your prices.  Will some people scoff? Maybe. But it's not the craziest thing in the world for an item to go up in price, and if it's something you can't find many other places, most people will probably have no problem with it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ADDCrafting
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012 10:46:04 PM »

Okay. Thanks jungrrl. I'm always nervous about changing my prices if my material costs don't go up. Maybe I could introduce a price increase along with a promotion so that people can "adjust" a little bit more...

I'm so bad at this pricing thing. I have plenty of other things where I'm not really counting time, but that's because no one's going to pay $10 for a crocheted cat toy. >.< It's like I have to pick different pricing methods for each of the things in my shop. The pacifier clips are one of the areas where I think I actually could price based on time and be okay. Plus, that would give me some cushion for selling them on consignment (something I'm hoping to do now that a certain boutique has reopened).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I sew, crochet, bead, make natural toys for kitties, and so much more.
Homepage | Etsy | Zibbet | Ravelry
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Sketch Mr. Krabs
How to Sketch Stewie
How to Draw Homer Simpson
How to Draw a Snake
How to Design a Cartoon Shark
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...