A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 304,766
Currently Running With Scissors:
551 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: lucet braided rainbow star coasters  (Read 3367 times)
Tags for this thread: craftster_best_of_2011  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

chickybiker
« on: December 24, 2011 04:24:52 AM »

Hi guys, don't think I have posted in fibre arts before, only made my lucet a while back, and got it out to make these babies recently as it's easy enough to do while you're ill and stuck on the sofa.  Smiley

I found doing the lucet braiding easy enough to do while zoning out in front of the telly, but I had no idea how much longer it would take to sew these little blighters together, it took aaaaaaaaaaggggggggeeeeeeessssssss.........!!   Shocked

Hence the reason why there are only three of them at the moment.   Roll Eyes

The good thing about lucet braiding for coasters and stuff is that the cross section is square, so they sit nicely together in a spiral.  But you guys probably know that already.   Cheesy

So here they are.  I started off with the star that ended up as kind of a flower shape.

But then I wondered if I could do one that was a proper pointy star, and yup, tis possible too.   Grin

I sewed them together with standard white sewing thread, but that showed up on the outside edge so I looked for my sharpie pens, and couldn't believe my luck when I found that they were exactly the right colours!!   Grin

I still can't decide which shape I like best.  I might do like a hybrid next time so the points are in between the two.  Then again I might be too bored and want to do something else entirely, the sewing part is quite hard on your fingers, you definitely need a thimble!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ysmeine
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2011 06:35:54 AM »

Those are great. I might have to bring out my lucet to play. It never occurred to me to coil them. Did you use cotton? How do you think nylon would work? I bought some because I thought it would be strong. I tried it on my inkle loom, but didn't like how it wove up. It has too much.. something. I couldn't get the tension right.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ColetteK
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2011 07:22:17 AM »

Beautiful! I like the vibrant colors.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

chickybiker
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2011 07:16:09 AM »

Thanks guys!

ysmeine, I used Patons 'Fab!' double knit. It's 100% acrylic which I found to be easier to get the tension right than with cotton. I think the slight stretch in the acrylic helps with the tension.

Also the 'fluffy' bits that tend to hang off acrylic get sort of woven in when you braid, so you get a more even texture.

I did try using cotton but it slid through my fingers easily. Might just be a case of getting used to it.

Does that help any?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kimadagem
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2011 09:37:25 AM »

Those are gorgeous. I really like how the variegation in the yarn showed up in the final design.

I've been playing around with lucet cords but it never occurred to me to sew them together to make - something other than a cord! That's really creative.

Meg
THIS ROCKS   Logged

All my articles are listed on

http://www.kimadagem.weebly.com/
chickybiker
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2011 03:58:23 AM »

Thanks Meg  Grin

If you do have a go at sewing lucet cord together I would love to see pictures. 

I read your lens on different braids.  I made my own lucet from a piece of old hardwood, I think it may have been an old floor board or something, and cut it out with an electric jigsaw, filed off the edges and sanded it.  It was a lot easier than I thought it would be.  If you have the tools and can find a scrap of hardwood I would definitely recommend giving it a go.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jungrrl
Global Moderator
Crafty Business Advice Moderator
Toys, Dolls, and Playthings Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a portmanteau.

Former Full-time Craftster-er

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012 11:37:40 AM »

Congrats!!

You're a Craftster Best of 2011 Winner!

Craftster Best of 2011 Winner

Feel free to use this badge as your avatar!
If you'd like to use it as a badge on your personal website or blog, you can grab the full code at the bottom of this page.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

chickybiker
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2012 04:27:40 PM »

AWW, THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!!!!

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

OspreyWife

Proud Marine Wife, Crochet & Spinning Addict

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2012 07:20:08 AM »

These are awesome! Congrats on best of 2011!
Makes me want to get my lucet out and play with it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Thai Style Soba Noodles With Mango
Shrimp and Pineapple Teriyaki Recipe
Sweet Soy-Glazed Tilapia Recipe
Spicy Orange Chicken Recipe
Chicken and Basil Stir-Fry Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: Featured Artist Katrina Polacek

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...