A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 305,031
Currently Running With Scissors:
581 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Studding on clothing?  (Read 488 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sparksfly
« on: January 28, 2012 12:04:39 AM »

I found this picture online and figured I could easily recreate it.

http://cdn2-b.examiner.com/sites/default/files/styles/image_full_width_scaled/hash/f9/35/f935d8a7acc3170fb0b76314ed6a5c59.jpg

I was just wondering what size studs you thought those were and about how many I'd need. I had bought some studs off ebay and it turns out they're way too small. The site studs and spikes has 1 inch one's but I don't know if they'd be too big. The 1 inch also comes in a set of 25 for $6 and I want to make this as inexpensively as possible so having to buy 3 bags would be alot considering I bought a pair of shorts for like $15 to do the project on.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012 09:29:55 AM by photojenn - Reason: hotlinked image » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Alexus1325
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2012 12:56:21 PM »

Studs & Spikes is the best web vendor I've found so far for such goodies, though I've not bought from them yet.

I notice the studs are slightly wider than the belt loops, and I just measured the belt loops on the jeans I'm wearing and they're exactly 1/2 inch, so I would venture a guess that the studs are 1/2 inch or 5/8 inch. You don't say how wide the studs you got on eBay are, but they're probably four prong studs for a setting tool like a Bedazzler, and from what I remember, the most common size my parents bought me was 3/8 inch because they were the cheapest.

So yeah, my overall recommendation is to go with 1/2 inch dome studs, which you can get in a bag of 100 for $8. I'd also check local tattoo parlors, because they'll sometimes carry that sort of thing, as well as craft stores and dollar stores. You never know, you might find a local supplier for cheaper than online+shipping.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sparksfly
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2012 08:07:42 PM »

The one's I got were 1/4''  and they were two prong ones.

They were these ones: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260714910658&ssPageName=ADME:L:PMR:US:1123#ht_801wt_936

According to Studs and Spikes they are the smallest one's. 1/2 are the 4th smallest one. I thought at first I thought I'd have to get 1 inch, but they might be too big. 3/4 or 5/8 is probably what I would need. 5/8 is a little smaller than 3/4.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Alexus1325
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012 10:50:21 AM »

Ah, I see! I hope it turns out for you Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Zac Posen - NYFW Spring 2014 - Interviews, Backstage & Runway
Best Lip Liners For All Skin Types
Would You Dare to Wear Some of These Looks from London Fashion Week?
Narciso Rodriguez - NYFW Spring 2014 - Interviews, Backstage & Runway
What Beauty Products To Take On Holiday
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Thrifty Dog Bed
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...