A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 298,085
Currently Running With Scissors:
687 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: SCA Heavy fighters gambeson fabric?  (Read 1924 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

BeowulfsBride
« on: January 29, 2012 03:18:49 PM »

So my hubby and I were in the Sca when we met, but have been away from it for quite a while, about 5 years now. He's looking to get back into the "heavy" armored combat again, but his Gambeson(the Padded/quilted under shirt ) was lost to flooding a few months back. I'd like to make him another one, but I'm not sure where to find fabric for it. A lot of fighters use moving blankets, or some thing dense but kinda thin like that.

Any Suggestions?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BeowulfsBride
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012 03:21:18 PM »

sorry I didn't notice I was posting in completed projects, mods feel free to move as necessary
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mrs Shak
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012 03:33:55 PM »

Hi, I helped a friend of mine pick out fabric for his. He put it all together but is color blind so he needed someone he could trust pick out colors, etc. Smiley

I know he wanted mid-weight linen for the lining and heavy-weight or canvas-weight linen for the outside and cotton batting (he bought it to fit a queen size bed). Linen was chosen due to being absorbant and it's a good heat conductor to keep him cool.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Funny, I don't remember being absentminded...

I need a skein (two would be great) of Knit Picks Gloss Bare sock weight to finish a shawl.

My Pinterest
BeowulfsBride
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012 03:51:36 AM »

so he used regular cotton quilt batting? hmmm, I thought that would be too thin, but maybe if I doubled it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mrs Shak
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012 04:59:14 AM »

I did a little research and found that most people are using just cotton batting for ease of movement but it does not protect from direct blows. I read that some use 3/4" batting which helps blows but is extremely hot and restricts movement. I think it depends on how much armor will be used on top, if just chainmail, I would double it but if he's going to be using full armor, one layer should be fine.

Hopefully someone with more experience will chime in and give you detailed advice.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Funny, I don't remember being absentminded...

I need a skein (two would be great) of Knit Picks Gloss Bare sock weight to finish a shawl.

My Pinterest
BeowulfsBride
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012 03:54:00 AM »

he uses full armor, not just chainmail. his last one was really thick, which restricted his movement slightly. I think I'm going to have to take him with me, show him the thickness of the batting, and let him pick.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Alexus1325
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2012 10:10:05 AM »

What about hand-quilting several layers of fulled wool? I think it's also called boiled wool. It's pretty dense, kinda like felt, and wool has the advantage of not absorbing your sweat, but rather allowing it to go right on through (unlike cotton batting). I should think that the coiled fibres would allow a degree of springiness that would help to ease the impact of SCA weapons.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BeowulfsBride
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2012 04:37:27 AM »

it might, but where would I find it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Alexus1325
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2012 06:19:08 PM »

I actually bought 5 metres at Fabricland! It was with the suiting in the clearance section. Pretty sure the label called it "fulled wool." I bought it to make a big floor-length cloak for a Hallowe'en costume (northern Ontario gets COLD in October!) and it worked great, though it did shed some fibre.

Hancock's, Joanne's, local fabric retailers, just hunt around and find 100% pure wool on a bolt that looks like thin felt and that'll probably be the right stuff Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use the Warper - Shake 4
How to Remove Tracking Markers - Shake 4
How to Do Slipping Technique - Shake 4
How to Export Your Media - Shake 4
How to Get Your Animation to Dance to Music - Shake 4
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...