A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,046
Currently Running With Scissors:
778 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tire tread quilting  (Read 1323 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

chryster
« on: January 29, 2012 10:39:52 AM »

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I'm kind of new to quilting and I want to make a quilt for my very best friend who's really, really into his Kawasaki motorcycle. I'm planning on just sewing two lengths of yardage together for the black so it won't be traditional quilt blocks of any kind and then doing the big green K as an applique. The backside will probably just be more yardages of black fabric sewn together but I'm not 100% sure on that yet. What I really need help figuring out is the sewing of the tire tread pattern which will be green thread on the black fabric and black thread on the green fabric. Does anyone have any ideas on what the most efficient way to do this would be?
Thanks!

http://www.craftster.org/pictures/data/500/290401_29Jan12_Screen_shot_2012-01-29_at_11_28_29_AM.png
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Eamea
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012 10:16:12 AM »

I don't know if it's the most efficient, but here's the way I would do it.  Wink

Construct your black top.  Divide the vertical space into four even parts for your columns.  The tread itself is made from just one motif.  It is flipped horizontally and vertically to create the different patterns.  Play with the size until you find something that looks right for the scale of your top.  I would make a cardstock template of it so I could just trace along the top and part of the bottom.  Use a ruler to keep them in a straight line and evenly spaced.  Here's a primitive Photoshop highlighting the parts in purple in case you need it.  Hope this helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There's one in every family, and I'm an only child.
chryster
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012 06:10:58 PM »

Lol. I made that design in Illustrator. What kind of pencil/whatever would you use to trace the design with? Should I baste the whole thing and then trace or lay just the quilt top out, do the tracing, and then baste?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
EnginerdLisa
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012 06:43:24 PM »

I like to do any marking before basting, I find that I have a harder time marking with the squishy layers together.  I have washable fabric pencils I got at Joann, I have blue and white for different color fabrics (you would probably only need white since your fabric is dark).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Penny: Oh, wow! A girl scientist!
Leslie Winkle: Yup. Come for the breasts. Stay for the brains.

My Blog (which I suck at keeping up with): Living Lisa
Eamea
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012 12:05:41 PM »

I like to do any marking before basting, I find that I have a harder time marking with the squishy layers together.  I have washable fabric pencils I got at Joann, I have blue and white for different color fabrics (you would probably only need white since your fabric is dark).
Agreed.  I can't seem to get a good line with the softer surface area if I do it after basting.  Chalk can be helpful when marking dark fabrics, but you can only mark a small area at a time otherwise it smears or brushes away.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There's one in every family, and I'm an only child.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Customize Baseball Cutouts sports templates
How to Add an Extracted Photo to A Backdrop Matrix Poster
How to change the frame color
Prolines Vol 2 Sports Poster Tutorial
How to Understand Photoshop Layers
Latest Blog Articles
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Karen Casper
Tute Tuesday: Wooden Chain
Here Kitty, Kitty!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...