A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Monday, May 23 News:  Please take a moment to congratulate and thank our newest Craftster Moderators, lindyv321, pottermouth, PerfectlyBohemian, Mistress Jennie and LovelyMiss!
Total Members: 305,658
Currently Running With Scissors:
367 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Teaching Toddlers To Sew...a series of mishaps, one mouse, and a cat.  (Read 1117 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sharktopus

You don't need a permit for a glue gun.

View Profile
« on: January 29, 2012 06:51:08 AM »

Firstly, please excuse the quality of these photos. I took them with my tablet and it was horribly awkward (the camera is on the front, and it's just...very awkward).

Anyway,  recently my daughter has taken a serious liking to all things crafty. She's three, and fairly dexterous, so I set her up with some felt cut outs and an needle (that I dulled a bit for safety purposes) and let her be.

Keeping the shapes simple, I marked around the edges with dots, and did about three stitches myself to get her started. After that, she was off.  I had to keep the thread fairly short because her arms are short, and it just resulted in a tangle.

We made a mickey, and a hello kitty (her favorite), along with a dog, a shark, and another cat, but she gave those to her cousins for Christmas. 

It keeps her occupied for a good hour when I need it, and has helped her in leaps and bounds when it's come to patience. Which is serious business when you're three! Anyway, I am super proud of her, and kind of just wanted to brag.

Maybe eventually (when I have a proper camera) I'll post my own crafts!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mrs Shak
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012 07:06:19 AM »

Wow! She did a fantastic job. I never thought about applique with my kids, I did the shoe string sewing into holes thing. (You know what I'm talking about?) I'm going to have to have my kids do this, the 5 and 7 year olds anyway, my 10 year old won't do it. She's a baker not a crafter. lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Funny, I don't remember being absentminded...

I need a skein (two would be great) of Knit Picks Gloss Bare sock weight to finish a shawl.

My Pinterest
Momof2!
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012 07:17:53 AM »

That is a great idea! My 4 year old has been wanting to sew something so bad. She got one of those little plastic sewing machine toys for Christmas, but it's a piece of poop. We cant' get it to do hardly anything and we both get frustrated. I never thought of hand sewing. I will definitely be stealing your idea Smiley Your daughter did a great job and I bet she was very excited to be able to give away gifts that she made herself.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sharktopus

You don't need a permit for a glue gun.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2012 07:27:03 AM »

Wow! She did a fantastic job. I never thought about applique with my kids, I did the shoe string sewing into holes thing. (You know what I'm talking about?) I'm going to have to have my kids do this, the 5 and 7 year olds anyway, my 10 year old won't do it. She's a baker not a crafter. lol

We did the shoe thing too.  And for a while, my daughter really got into beading (she's never put anything in her mouth, so no worries there), so I'd would take shoe-strings and tie a knot in one end, and let her bead it up.  It helped with her colors quite a bit. I'd give her a bit of paper with a big red square, a green square, and a blue square, and have her make a 'pattern' with the beads on the string (red, green, blue, red, green, blue).  Certainly kept her busy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mrs Shak
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2012 10:27:27 AM »

We've done a lot of the bead stringing also. I love doing hand and footprint things. My favorite is to turn a footprint into a unicorn or horse.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Funny, I don't remember being absentminded...

I need a skein (two would be great) of Knit Picks Gloss Bare sock weight to finish a shawl.

My Pinterest
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

How-To Videos
How to Make Spring Pea and Smoked Salmon Frittata
Brisket at This Texas BBQ Spot Is Worth Waiting in Line For
Presidential History and the Best of Columbia, South Carolina
Tangy Duck Tostadas
Peanut Butter Bacon-Crunch Burger Is a Must-Try at This Cali Spot
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Reusable Dryer Sheets
Tute Tuesday: Painted Background
Easy Summer Salads

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...