A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 297,480
Currently Running With Scissors:
431 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Teaching Toddlers To Sew...a series of mishaps, one mouse, and a cat.  (Read 725 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sharktopus

You don't need a permit for a glue gun.

View Profile
« on: January 29, 2012 06:51:08 AM »

Firstly, please excuse the quality of these photos. I took them with my tablet and it was horribly awkward (the camera is on the front, and it's just...very awkward).

Anyway,  recently my daughter has taken a serious liking to all things crafty. She's three, and fairly dexterous, so I set her up with some felt cut outs and an needle (that I dulled a bit for safety purposes) and let her be.

Keeping the shapes simple, I marked around the edges with dots, and did about three stitches myself to get her started. After that, she was off.  I had to keep the thread fairly short because her arms are short, and it just resulted in a tangle.

We made a mickey, and a hello kitty (her favorite), along with a dog, a shark, and another cat, but she gave those to her cousins for Christmas. 

It keeps her occupied for a good hour when I need it, and has helped her in leaps and bounds when it's come to patience. Which is serious business when you're three! Anyway, I am super proud of her, and kind of just wanted to brag.

Maybe eventually (when I have a proper camera) I'll post my own crafts!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mrs Shak
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012 07:06:19 AM »

Wow! She did a fantastic job. I never thought about applique with my kids, I did the shoe string sewing into holes thing. (You know what I'm talking about?) I'm going to have to have my kids do this, the 5 and 7 year olds anyway, my 10 year old won't do it. She's a baker not a crafter. lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Funny, I don't remember being absentminded...

I need a skein (two would be great) of Knit Picks Gloss Bare sock weight to finish a shawl.

My Pinterest
Momof2!
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012 07:17:53 AM »

That is a great idea! My 4 year old has been wanting to sew something so bad. She got one of those little plastic sewing machine toys for Christmas, but it's a piece of poop. We cant' get it to do hardly anything and we both get frustrated. I never thought of hand sewing. I will definitely be stealing your idea Smiley Your daughter did a great job and I bet she was very excited to be able to give away gifts that she made herself.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sharktopus

You don't need a permit for a glue gun.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2012 07:27:03 AM »

Wow! She did a fantastic job. I never thought about applique with my kids, I did the shoe string sewing into holes thing. (You know what I'm talking about?) I'm going to have to have my kids do this, the 5 and 7 year olds anyway, my 10 year old won't do it. She's a baker not a crafter. lol

We did the shoe thing too.  And for a while, my daughter really got into beading (she's never put anything in her mouth, so no worries there), so I'd would take shoe-strings and tie a knot in one end, and let her bead it up.  It helped with her colors quite a bit. I'd give her a bit of paper with a big red square, a green square, and a blue square, and have her make a 'pattern' with the beads on the string (red, green, blue, red, green, blue).  Certainly kept her busy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mrs Shak
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2012 10:27:27 AM »

We've done a lot of the bead stringing also. I love doing hand and footprint things. My favorite is to turn a footprint into a unicorn or horse.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Funny, I don't remember being absentminded...

I need a skein (two would be great) of Knit Picks Gloss Bare sock weight to finish a shawl.

My Pinterest
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
"Grace" Clip
AOL Motion Canvas: Bouncing Stones
AOL Motion Canvas: Landscape
AOL Motion Canvas: Future Art
AOL Motion Canvas: Wood Sphere
Latest Blog Articles
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3
September 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...