A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,548
Currently Running With Scissors:
543 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Needlework Retreats and Festivals...  (Read 2204 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

deromilly
« on: January 28, 2012 03:17:48 PM »

Do any of you attend a regularly held public needlework retreat or festival?  In other words, not your local sit and stitch or stitch night, but a day or two long event that's dedicated to stitching, talking about stitching, maybe shopping and hanging out with people of like minds?

If the answer is yes, would you mind sharing contact information, location, and days held with me? I'm trying to compile a list (that I'll share) mostly so I can pick and choose and make a point of traveling where I can extend into stitching with new friends! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~~G. Romilly Mueller
Stitch Creatively! "Cat fur? What cat fur? That's creative use of specialty fibers!" Me, RCTN 1994
kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012 02:45:36 PM »

I would love to know too! This is a great question!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Corvus corax
Die Trying

Talk Science to Me!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012 11:03:07 PM »

If I had local stitchy friends, I'd totally put our own together.  Rent a cabin off somewhere, start out with a related-store-crawl, then move on up to the cabin and eat good food and stitch in front of a fire.  Maybe ask some friends who know more tricks than others for teaching sessions.

With wine.  Yes, wine.  Now all I need is the local stitchy friends.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Listessa

Summertime Slacker Crafter

Buried in Beads!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012 12:04:40 AM »

I buy some of those awesome cross stitch magazines from England- they have the occasional article or advertisement about some really fabulous sounding stitching gathering or festival or even cruses!

Maybe check around those if you can afford a Euro Trip?  Cheesy  I dream of making one of those!

I'd love to hear about anything in the US.  Right now it's more doable to stay in the country or Canada. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking to de-stash cross stitch magazines, particularly Cross Stitch Gold or New Stitches?  Please drop me a line!  I'd love to swap or buy some missing from my library!
kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012 08:34:59 AM »

We so need to have a Craftster needlework festival/meet up. Maybe even a virtual skype session.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jen gray
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2012 09:35:55 AM »

The Squam Art Workshops is a wonderful gathering, needlework and various other classes in the arts are offered at 4 different retreats, and different locations. It's just beautiful. Smiley

http://www.squamartworkshops.com/
THIS ROCKS   Logged
littlesquares
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2012 11:22:37 AM »

I saw a store in Brentwood/Santa Monica, CA had a weekend retreat at some swanky hotel in Orange County earlier this year, but it was vvveeerrrryyyy expensive. Sad

I wish I could meet other young stitchers in LA just to get together with every once in awhile too. and then perhaps some day go on a retreat... haha
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my blog for pictures of most of my work!
http://little-squares-cross-stitching.blogspot.com
deromilly
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2012 02:08:53 PM »

For those of you wanting a "stitch group" try pick a time and day, put up a notice at your local crafty-shop and meet at the local coffee shop to stitch for an evening. If it works for knitters (it does) it should work for us, too! Tongue Or if you have a group of stitchy friends, just get together and stitch at someones house once a month or once a week. I've done this, too, and it's great fun.

I originally posted this because I was looking for a weekend trip or a week-long trip. I did find one in Myrtle Beach in October, but it's right around the same time as a bellydance retreat I go to every year... I have since decided that if I want it, I need to build it myself and hope they come. So I'm working on a putting together small week-long trip to a house at the beach in February with about 14 other people, with a needlework class project, possibly a temari class and daily bellydance classes. Smiley

Build it and they will come, right?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~~G. Romilly Mueller
Stitch Creatively! "Cat fur? What cat fur? That's creative use of specialty fibers!" Me, RCTN 1994
deromilly
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2012 05:54:03 AM »

I am doing research for a possible retreat on the North Carolina beach in February 2013. Do y'all mind answering a couple questions?

Ideas:
One week, large beach house (8 bedrooms) 14 attendees plus 2 teachers.
1 counted work class including full kit of supplies
daily bellydance classes (optional)
grab bag of needlework goodies.
Kitchen available to cook your own meals (meals not provided)
Lots of extra time to relax
Local cross stitch/needlepoint/knitting store down the road
$500. for the week
Add an additional $100 kit and teaching fee if you'd like to learn to make temari as well.

The questions:
1. Would you sign up for this?
2. Is the fact that only two bedrooms have two beds in them a problem? The rooms are large, the beds are queen or king, and to make it work for this cost we'd have to do double occupancy (for a single room I'd have to add an additional $300 to break even...) which would mean someone would have to sleep on the floor or beds would have to be shared in 5 rooms...

I'd really like to make this happen. I find retreats at hotels a bit sterile, and I'd like to do something a bit more personal.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~~G. Romilly Mueller
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
A Trailer for The Bridge by Karen Kingsbury
A Trailer for Whirlybirds and Ordinary Times by Katie Savage
A Trailer for Iscariot: A Novel of Judas by Tosca Lee
Writing a Eulogy Step by Step
Author Simon Sinek on Traveling to Distant and Unfamiliar Places
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...