A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,519
Currently Running With Scissors:
639 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Yet another 'halps for my couch!' question  (Read 639 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Nobodyhasthisoneyet
« on: January 28, 2012 05:08:20 AM »

Hi guys,

I know there are a few 'help me with a slipcover?' type enquires in the archives, but this one's a little different...

I have a sofabed that's seen better days - the fabric itself is sound, it's just faded and stained.  I don't actually use it as a sofa, but keep it permanently folded out and use it as a bedframe.  (This gets relevant in a moment..)

A major reupholstery job is out because I know myself well enough to know I'll be impatient and sloppy and turn a grotty but serviceable couch into a complete piece of crap.  So, I'm thinking removable slipcovers. 

This one in particular caught my eye: http://www.threadsmagazine.com/item/3749/make-a-sofa-wrap 
I really like the two-layer effect, and the bindings mean it has some nice shape definition, so it's not just like I've hidden the couch under a huge sheet.

But... I can't figure out how to make something that will look respectable while the sofa's folded out in bed mode.  Any ideas?

I'm not set on slipcovers, I'll work with anything.  I've considered painting it.  Dye could work, but it's quite dark already so I'd have to go dark purple or black.  Also I have no idea how.

For reference, here's what it looks like folded out:

The fold-out mechanism's joined on to the base of the arms, so basically what I've got to work with is a big rectangular 'donut', high in the back and low in the front, with the bed frame jutting out of the centre.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

No longer online regularly - if you need to contact me, try tweeting @artsieaspie.  Sorry for the inconvenience!
Shana-chan
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012 11:50:40 AM »

You could do pretty much the same thing as what you linked, you'd just need to remove the "seat" part, and find some way of making the cover stay in place. Since you don't use it as a couch, as long as you have the ties on the cover like they show in the picture, it should stay in place fine. Smiley I'd probably just drape more of the top cover fabric over the bottom area of the couch (under the bed), with the bottom layer attaching to it at the sides with some velcro or something.

I hope that makes sense.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Creole Brown Roux Part 5/5
How to Make Creole Brown Roux Part 3/5
How to Make Creole Brown Roux Part 2/5
How to Make Creole Brown Roux Part 1/5
How to Make Homemade Jambalaya
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...