A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 304,742
Currently Running With Scissors:
460 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Why No extras?  (Read 4594 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

raennn
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2012 03:34:58 PM »

I've ended up sending late due to that *extras* pressure. Like I get distracted working on those instead of the main thing, when I should have just focused better. It is difficult when you're new and don't know the routine! (I got spoiled on my first swap, but I wouldn't trade it for anything since I was a stressed out new mom and it absolutely made my week..maybe year! lol) I've noticed the "no extras" thing a lot more lately and I love it! Great idea on making extras a separate thing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life is confusing, just when you think it's over it throws you a view like this and you don't know where you are.
- Evy in Driving Lessons
craftaddiction
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2012 05:54:28 PM »

I know I am in the minority, but I actually avoid swaps that say no extras. I don't like being limited. I always have a hard time coming up with ideas on what I should make. If I am inspired and come up with a bunch of ideas, I want to make as many as I can. Not to be told I can only make a certain amount. It is "extra", I don't expect anything in return and I don't care if they send 5 points worth and I send 15. If I cared, I wouldn't send extras. I don't join swaps to get items (although I do love it), I swap to make items for others who will actually appreciate it. Plus, I can't work, so I swap to fill up my time. I know others can't sent as much as I do, but if don't send extras, I could finish all my swaps in just a matter of days and then have nothing to do. And I really just like spoiling my partners (when I can). I see it like this.... What if a waitress did a really good job and you wanted to tip her more but are told you can't tip more than 15%. Why? You want to give her more, it isn't going to hurt her, and it would make her happy.... I think it should be your call.

Of course there are always exceptions... I understand why a swap that is about making one spectacular item wouldn't want extras (though I probably would still want to if I was allowed  Wink )

I don't like having extras as a separate thing as I never know if I am going to sent extras or not (or how many). It depends on many things. Does my partner have only a few knitted items they want (or complicated ones), or a wishlist full of 50 items I can do easily. Do I have all day, everyday to work on it... or is something going to pop up? And if I send extras, I don't know if it will be 1 item or 10. If I have to list extras, it is no longer extra and I would fell obligated to do it.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012 06:02:19 PM by craftaddiction » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I would love to swap for things kids could do in the car on a long car trip (3 girls ages 5-12). I can knit, crochet or trade yarn.

My pinterest
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2013 09:13:48 AM »

I think we have a variety of swaps to meet everyone's idea of the swap experience!  If the expectations are posted up front, people can decide to join or not...I sometimes want a swap with the idea of spoiling my partner...but sometimes I want a swap just to focus on a new technique or idea for ONE thing...I think being able to pick what I am in the mood for is great!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

WeeFreeRhie

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2013 10:00:25 PM »

I know I am in the minority, but I actually avoid swaps that say no extras. I don't like being limited. I always have a hard time coming up with ideas on what I should make. If I am inspired and come up with a bunch of ideas, I want to make as many as I can. Not to be told I can only make a certain amount. It is "extra", I don't expect anything in return and I don't care if they send 5 points worth and I send 15. If I cared, I wouldn't send extras.

I agree, actually. I'm in the middle of my first swap, and I did what was required and only that because of time crunch at the end of a semester. I wanted to do my best, and that was what it was in this case. But in other swaps, it may be the middle of the summer or at a less pressured time during school. In those cases, I want to have the option of doing more. My best may be to do the swap plus x, y, z and so I want to be able to do that. I swap because it's fun to give, and it's inspiring to make something to spec for a new friend. Getting something in return is just icing.

I think if other people think that a person who got the swap requirements and no extras was cheated that those people should maybe do a little bit of thinking about why they feel that way, why they swap, what they want to get out of it, and especially what they bring to the process. I think it's too bad that such comments and impressions make others feel pressured to do too much for their budgets of time or money. I think the best thing to do is ask those questions rather than putting blanket limits on what people can do.

I think about this the same way I do Christmas or birthdays. I give gifts to my friends because I care about them, and because I enjoy making or picking out something just for them. I don't care if they give me something back. I don't care if I give them $50 worth of gifts and they give me $30. If they are having fun with it, and enjoying the process, that's what I enjoy. It really, truly is the thought that counts.

It's gift giving, it's not shopping.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yippie-ki-yay FELLOW CRAFTERS! Cheesy
Ratfinkz

Rataholic

Animal Mad!

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2014 04:35:46 PM »

I also am in the category of loving to send extras but not minding not getting any back. I have a few reasons for this:

I love to make people happy (cheesy but true) spoiling people makes ME happy and having suffered depression for years I believe happiness is more important than possessions.

When people go that little bit further than they are required to it makes me feel special (Who doesn't like to be spoiled sometimes) I like to believe by sending extras I can make my partner feel special too

I have no self confidence and although I do my best with everything I make I never feel it is up to the standard of others therefore sending extras hopefully enhances the parcel and my partner is not too disappointed

I find the actual crafting in a swap my favourite part. I do not work and am often unable to go out by nyself (health/mobility reasons) I have spent years suffering from depression just sitting in the house with day time TV is likely to send me back downhill so crafting keeps me sane and also distracts me from physical pain.

Etc etc etc

I also find that while I often send more than I receive there are times when I receive more than I receive. Whilst it makws me feel guilty
 a) I believe it evens out for most people over several people (ie I send 5 extras to person a who only sends me two. Person b I also send 5 to but she sends me 8. Person b then sends 3 to person c and receives 6 ...etc etc etc)

B) gift giving is not (and never will be) about what you get in return for me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Love Sarah
XXX

Jack of most crafts master of none.

My craft blog. If you are swapping with me be warned this may contain spoilers
http://ratfinkzcrafts.blogspot.co.uk/
Ratfinkz

Rataholic

Animal Mad!

« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2014 04:42:12 PM »

Erm I have just realised how old the last post on this thread was.  Sorry!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Love Sarah
XXX

Jack of most crafts master of none.

My craft blog. If you are swapping with me be warned this may contain spoilers
http://ratfinkzcrafts.blogspot.co.uk/
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Lenore Appelhans Discusses Her Novel Level 2
Mini Biography of William Shakespeare
Iris Murdoch: The Life of the Mind
Octavia Butler Managed to Humanize Science Fiction
Alice Walker: The Mysterious Wonder of Life
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: Featured Artist Katrina Polacek
October 15, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...