A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 296,723
Currently Running With Scissors:
706 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Why No extras?  (Read 4355 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

nilmerg

I'm inspired by all your posts to craft some more

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: January 28, 2012 02:29:13 AM »

I have seen a couple of swaps recently where organisers have requested that you send 'No Extras'. As someone how organises swaps on a fairly frequent basis I just wondered if anyone would mind letting me know why you add the  'no extras' condition to your swaps? Simpler? Quicker sends? less complicated??
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012 02:37:00 AM by nilmerg » THIS ROCKS   Logged

lylacfey
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2012 04:10:27 AM »

I haven't organized a swap over here yet. I do want to someday. I have been really following all the rules so I don't screw up, lol. I think the No Extra request comes from that a lot of swappers feel it puts pressure on them or they might disappoint their own swap partner if they can't send extras.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/97658832@N05/

My Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/gelyafey/

Organize your life around your dreams and watch them come true.
LimeRiot
Image Reproduction Techniques Moderator
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Sublime

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2012 08:54:01 AM »

Extras are fun to receive and I know most of us swappers love to spoil Smiley. However, I put the 'no extras' condition on all of the swaps I organize for several reasons...

- It makes things simpler for those participating
- Everyone has clear expectations of what's required and what they will receive
- It keeps energy focused on the theme/item we're making for the swap
- Similarly, the swap gallery is focused on the swap items and not filled with unrelated extras
- And most importantly, it keeps things fair and equitable for everyone

Just like lylacfey mentioned, not everyone can afford to send extras or wants to sends extras or wants to receive extras but sometimes there can be a pressure or expectation that you need to do it if your partner is or if other people in the swap are.

If there are partners in my swaps that want to send more to each other, I always ask that they do that as a personal swap rather than as part of the original swap.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest!
My Blog!

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
nilmerg

I'm inspired by all your posts to craft some more

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2012 01:04:12 PM »

Thanks for your answers Lylacfey and limeriot. Both of your answeres were very interesting. I can see what you mean about keeping the energy focused and therfore the gallery, the hoopla galleries always look amazing. I guess if participants do decide to send extras in the form of a personal swap, then the extras woudl go in the personal swaps gallery.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ThreadOrYarn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2012 05:53:35 PM »

I haven't organized, but from a swapper's perspective, I can tell you that I like the 'no extras' condition. It's a little annoying to have a swap thread that has more talk of the (non-swap-related) extras people are sending than the actual swap items!

And when I'm having a hard time coming up with something that I think my partner will like - to have the 'regular' swap item worry is one thing, but then to have the "omg, I *still* need to find 5 extras because she's sending me 5 extras!" on top of that is crazy making stressful. And if I don't send extras then I feel like I have to craft something bigger as the swap item to "make up" when I didn't send extras but my partner did.

Besides, a swap package pic of 'just' the swap items compared to other people's pics of swap items plus extras looks so small. I was in one swap where there were comments about someone being 'cheated' because they got such a small package. Even though the package was exactly for the swap items with no extras. (that was NOT how it was said, but that idea)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Member of the Papercraft Gang

"Best of 2013" Winner; too lazy to change avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012 07:15:35 AM »

Besides, a swap package pic of 'just' the swap items compared to other people's pics of swap items plus extras looks so small. I was in one swap where there were comments about someone being 'cheated' because they got such a small package. Even though the package was exactly for the swap items with no extras. (that was NOT how it was said, but that idea)

This is why I like to have a "no extras" swap. No one should be made to feel that they shorted their partner when they meet the swap requirements.

Some people love to go crazy with extras and lots of spoiling, but I'd rather receive a package that has one awesome item in it than a package crammed with lots of extra "stuff". I feel that when swappers know they can send their partner "only" the swap requirements, they concentrate on making those items as wonderful as possible. It really evens the playing field.   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Like it? Check out my newly re-opened Etsy shop. Scary Toys and Halloween for everyone!
My blog: junk&stuff
Pinterest
World.Of.Hoard-Craft
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2012 09:43:17 AM »

I understand why there would be a "no extras" rule, but to me, "extra" is just that- anything beyond the actual swap.
Personally, if i got an International package, I would probably use the stamps from it in a project, and to me, that WOULD be the extra (as opposed to a computer printed postage). If the swap was wrapped in tissue paper or tied with a bow, those would be welcomed extras as well. Theres no rule that items must be wrapped, but taking the time to wrap the swap is putting in a bit of extra time.
I also think, sometimes just  a tiny extra that goes with the item is fine. Say I send a handmade picture frame, which is the actual swap, but put a pretty bit of paper in, so its not a blank frame. Its just for presentation, really, but as us crafters know, ANYthing can be a craft supply LOL. No, I wouldn't expect that piece of paper, but it makes it look more finished.
Technically, no swap HAS to have "extras", since the swap is clearly for the item(s) based on points/ time/ size. But it doesn't seem harmful to add in a small item. Its like buying cereal FOR the taste, but the prize inside is nice too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Blog for crafty inspiration
http://worldofhoardcraft.blogspot.com/
rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Member of the Papercraft Gang

"Best of 2013" Winner; too lazy to change avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2012 10:19:53 AM »

I don't think the things you mentioned are what most people think of as "extras". I always wrap my swap item in colorful tissue paper and tie it off with some nice Baker's twine, but that's just presentation. Putting a nice piece of paper in a frame: same thing.

When I host a swap that specifies "no extras", I just don't want to see someone send the required item, plus a scarf, some hand knit socks, tons of candies, an ornament, and a couple of journals.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Like it? Check out my newly re-opened Etsy shop. Scary Toys and Halloween for everyone!
My blog: junk&stuff
Pinterest
Cherrylime

I have sewn for the cows and they were pleased.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2012 06:04:20 PM »

As a newer Swapper, I've gravitated to either a fill-the-box style swap or a nice, clear, no-extras one. I like knowing what I'm aiming for since I really feel like the newbie I am. I don't want to mess up by not sending enough but I also don't want to go overboard and I only have so much time and budget. Having just taken place in the latest hoopla, I really liked that I could just focus on that one item and getting it perfect (or at least presentable!) No worries about what extras I needed to find.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Home Depot is my happy place.
My Pinterest
Currently obsessed with cables and quilts
carmenmarie
I like getting crafty

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2012 01:17:18 PM »

I always write in the 'other things you would like to add' section of the questionnaire that I would like to stick the the requirements only.  Because I am in New Zealand, and have sent internationally in all but one of the swaps I have done, filling the parcel with extras would push the postage up way higher than just sending the requirements.  I would love to be able to send extras, and it is always nice to receive them, but the $$ factor is prohibitive.  Smiley 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Grill Corn On The Cob
How to Make Beef Tenderloin
Crock Pot Recipes - Chicken Chili
How to Make Banana Pancakes
How to Make Apple Fries
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...