A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,380
Currently Running With Scissors:
502 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How to replicate these shoes?  (Read 1972 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sparksfly
« on: January 28, 2012 12:23:37 AM »

I've been eyeing these shoes for awhile: http://www.samedelman.com/wp-content/uploads/wpsc/product_images/small_1Adena_Gunmetal.jpg but they're like $150 and even if they go on sale they'll still be too expensive for me to buy.

I was thinking of making similar one's using regular ballet flats from like Marshalls, Target or TJ Maxx because I don't think I'll be able to find that style of shoe.

What would I need to do this project? How would you go about doing it?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012 06:48:31 PM by photojenn - Reason: hotlinked image » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Alexus1325
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2012 12:43:06 PM »

You would need rhinestones, tweezers and fabric glue, OR a rhinestone kit with heat setting tool (the heat setter is about $30, from what I've seen). Either way, it's a lot of hand work, but it would somewhat faster with a heat tool.

You can order spikes from many different online retailers and occasionally can find some at a craft or "alternative culture" store (such as a tattoo parlor). They are most often screw-backed, meaning you punch a hole, pass the screw up from the back side of the material, and then screw the spike onto it. I would recommend sealing around the hole with fabric glue before screwing the spike on to ensure the fabric doesn't fray. I've been eyeballing Studs & Spikes for awhile now, but I'd want to buy a LOT to make the purchase worth it, and just don't have the funds for that Tongue

It really comes down to deciding how much your time is worth. Is it easier to pay the 150, or is it easier to pay 40, 50, 60 for materials and spend 8 hours gluing on rhinestones? The cheaper you can get your materials, the more worthwhile it becomes, so I would check out dollar stores and second hand shops for the things you need.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sparksfly
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2012 06:17:48 PM »

You would need rhinestones, tweezers and fabric glue, OR a rhinestone kit with heat setting tool (the heat setter is about $30, from what I've seen). Either way, it's a lot of hand work, but it would somewhat faster with a heat tool.

You can order spikes from many different online retailers and occasionally can find some at a craft or "alternative culture" store (such as a tattoo parlor). They are most often screw-backed, meaning you punch a hole, pass the screw up from the back side of the material, and then screw the spike onto it. I would recommend sealing around the hole with fabric glue before screwing the spike on to ensure the fabric doesn't fray. I've been eyeballing Studs & Spikes for awhile now, but I'd want to buy a LOT to make the purchase worth it, and just don't have the funds for that Tongue

It really comes down to deciding how much your time is worth. Is it easier to pay the 150, or is it easier to pay 40, 50, 60 for materials and spend 8 hours gluing on rhinestones? The cheaper you can get your materials, the more worthwhile it becomes, so I would check out dollar stores and second hand shops for the things you need.

Thanks!

Does it matter what kind of rhinestones I use? I would use swarvoski, but they get really pricey. I would like to use an inexpensive rhinestone that does have the sparkle that swarvoski does.

I've checked out Studs and Spikes before because I want to stud a pair of jean shorts, but for certain projects it's just not worth it because it's expensive. Ebay has some pretty good deals[just make sure they're not from china or anything like that]. I got a pack of like 50-100 studs for like $4 with shipping. But they're too small for the shorts I want to make.

I probably could find the studs on ebay. What size would you reccomend?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Alexus1325
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012 10:22:51 AM »

Well, they're so teeny tiny, the size 13 cone spikes are probably good, but they're $5.80 for 10 pieces. Now that I'm looking at the picture again, those shoes may have something like the half-inch tall "English punk" studs, which are cheaper at $4.22 for 100 pieces.

As for rhinestones, I would suggest not using scrapbooking ones if you are going to glue them. Prong-set rhinestones (like what you use in a Bedazzler) are definitely more permanent, and you won't have to worry about glue messing them up. If you are going to glue, test it out on something else first, because sometimes glue and plastic don't get along Tongue

I hope you figure something out and get your very own awesome shoes Cheesy
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012 10:26:08 AM by Alexus1325 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

sterdal
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2012 07:36:39 PM »

its looks very difficult....i have no any idea...but i hope you can come it true
THIS ROCKS   Logged

life is green,live is read
http://www.52106.com/images/2.gif
frankeknitter
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2012 03:41:06 PM »

www.ohiotravelbag.c om is full of every stud or clasp your heart could dream of.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
steiconi
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2012 02:42:53 PM »

If you're going to have a lot of things poked through the fabric of the shoe, the shoe will feel smaller; you probably need to buy a size or more larger.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Dan Gordon Discusses His Book Postcards from Heaven
Michael Hastings on His Book I Lost My Love in Baghdad
Dark Horse Book Trailer by Ralph Reed
Anthony Dias Blue Talks About Pocket Guide to Wine
The Bell Messenger Book Trailer by Robert Cornuke
Latest Blog Articles
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects
How to Make Summer Treats
July is National Blueberry Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...