A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 302,559
Currently Running With Scissors:
693 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What do you do with your finished projects?  (Read 1884 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

snes
« on: January 27, 2012 05:44:18 AM »

I've just started with cross-stitch and only made little things so far. Craftster has been an amazing inspiration! I like to put my stitchings on felt and attach a ribbon, so I can use them as decoration. Like I did with Kirby and these angels (can't post the pictures, only links).

But now, when I see a cute new pattern I find myself thinking... what will I do with it once it's finished? I can only put so many things around in the house before my boyfriend starts complaining. Ofcourse I could put it in a frame, but I would like to save that for Future Masterpieces.

To be short, I'm looking for a way to put my stitchings to good use and want to know what you like to do with yours. Thanks in advance for any responses!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Antidigger
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012 06:03:01 AM »

I very rarely start a project without a final end in mind. Having said that I've just started one, but there you go.

Perhaps you could start thinking about who might like them as gifts, or whether they would be transferable to an item of clothing, or would they suit a cushion in your home? If you like it then would someone else, could you use them as fundraisers for your favourite cause?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look twice, buy once. Nooooo
Look twice, decide I can make one instead.
deromilly
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012 11:15:14 AM »

The perennial problem for stitchers! Smiley What to do with it once it's stitched.  Last year I made pillows. Then my husband started complaining that he hated moving pillows all the time to sit down... This year I'm into tote/grocery bags. We don't have a lot of wall space - and what we do have is likely to be soon covered in bookshelves, so framing them isn't very useful for me. So ideas I've been brainstorming recently:

Stitch on clothing... Jackets and skirts are nice, large canvases.
Make tote bags
Make crazy quilts from little projects
Make big quilts of embroidered blocks
Make jar toppers from small embroideries (very popular in the 80s)
Make hand-embroidered covered buttons
Make hand-embroidered button covers.
Make pouches to stick sewing stuff in.
Make embroidered boxes
Stitch on tea/dishtowels and use them so you have to stitch more (this is a favorite for me)
Make placemats & napkins and use them.
Ornaments for every holiday.
Wall hangings, framed or otherwise finished.
Shower curtains (yes, I'm stitching one)
Curtain curtains. If it was good enough for my grandmother in her kitchen, it's good enough for me. Smiley
Coasters.
The list goes on. Smiley

Definitely find friends who appreciate your work and gift things! This can sometimes be harder than it sounds. The first time I hear "it's too nice to use" is the last time they get anything stitched (unless they respond correctly to, "if you don't use it, it won't wear out, and I can't make you any more...")  If I hear "it's as nice as the one I saw in [fill in cheap store full of Chinese imports here]" it's the last stitched item they receive. Luckily I've got a LOT of friends who like stitching themselves, and appreciate presents. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~~G. Romilly Mueller
Stitch Creatively! "Cat fur? What cat fur? That's creative use of specialty fibers!" Me, RCTN 1994
Listessa
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Summertime Slacker Crafter

Buried in Beads!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2012 01:57:09 AM »

I pick up a lot of stuff that ends up being a hangable item- fine since my mom has a new place and loves getting cross stitch that I made. 

If you have a bunch of little stand alone designs, stitch them up (either on that perforated plastic 14 count or paper OR trim your aida/evenweave/linen and mount on sticky back stuff), and put some of that magnetic tape on the back- instant awesome magnets for your refrigerator! 

You could laminate or buy empty key chains and zipper pulls for small things that are finished. 

It's fairly easy to mount a small piece in card stock for a DIY card so you can give it for whatever occasion it works for!  (Never have to buy another greeting card again!)

I have a bunch of fun little tiny things hanging in various spots around the apartment too.  They aren't really framed, just tacked up and they look cute. 

Small patterns are great for bookmarks as well. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking to de-stash cross stitch magazines, particularly Cross Stitch Gold or New Stitches?  Please drop me a line!  I'd love to swap or buy some missing from my library!
kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012 02:49:17 PM »

Western shirts, jackets, boxer shorts, bags (of course), chairs, blankets (quilts)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Disobedient Child
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012 06:39:51 AM »

Gifts!  I takes a long time for us crafters to realise it, but other people love what we do!  I have looked at a finished piece and thought, well THAT'S tatty, and that bit's a bit wonky, and wow, call that a french knot? What a mess - only to have a friend come up and say OMG you did that?! It's amazing!  Or something like that.
So finish it off, and give it away! And then you can get on with making MORE THINGS!  Hooray Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
thehappycrochetchic
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012 01:32:44 PM »

Love the list.  I like using designs on teatowels, and making them into pincushions!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.pinterest.com/jcarter462/

I love personal swaps!!
Message me...

Always looking to add to my hoopla wall...Wanna trade?
mrs.turner

Jen of all Trades - Master of None.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2012 01:33:22 PM »

I put my stitchings in plastic sheet protectors and photo/scrapbooking albums. You can find them in the scrapbooking area of your favorite craft store. I find that it protects them very well and all of your hard work is in one place. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Happy Crafting!
sesame_sweet
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2012 03:19:34 PM »

I love all of these ideas! And I definitely agree with giving projects away as gifts. Very few of my friends craft, so they're usually super excited to receive a handmade gift.
I'm thinking of making a quilt for one of the gazillion babies my friends are suddenly having. I'm a beginner quilter, so it would just be basic square blocks. Several of the squares could be embroidered, which would use up several projects at once. Smiley I have a bunch of Sublime Stitching patterns that I look at often, but never use. The designs are cute enough to be used on baby items. (Except for the pinups. I must find a different use for those.)
I'm also planning a tote bag with a James Dean cross stitch on one side. A coworker is graduating high school, and she LOVES James Dean. I just bought a cross stitch design program (PC Stitch), and I think I'm about to become obsessed with cross stitching.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
littlesquares
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2012 11:14:44 AM »

I put my stitchings in plastic sheet protectors and photo/scrapbooking albums. You can find them in the scrapbooking area of your favorite craft store. I find that it protects them very well and all of your hard work is in one place. Smiley

This is such a good idea!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my blog for pictures of most of my work!
http://little-squares-cross-stitching.blogspot.com
LoriLou
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2012 06:22:20 AM »

I hate to say it, but I have about 10 or 12 finished projects sitting in my craft closet.  They are all neatly folded in ziplock bags, just waiting to be framed or hooped.  I just haven't gotten around to it yet.  That's one of my MANY tasks for the year.  *sigh*
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alison.anne
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2012 08:04:24 AM »

So far, I give mine away. Like someone said upthread, people are really happy to receive them. Some I start with a friend in mind, and some I figure out a recipient for later. I saw someone on tumblr say "For me, the joy is in the making, not in the having". That about sums it up! All I really want to keep are my pictures.

When I run through all the obvious people to give stitching to, I'm going to start offering them up on facebook to whoever wants them. When that fails, I'll move on to tumblr and message boards.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use Crop Tool and Adjustment Brush in Lightroom 2
How to Use the Volume Browser in Lightroom 2
Working Efficiently with Presets in Lightroom 2
Local Correction in Adobe Lightroom
How to Extend Depth of Field in CS4
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...