DD wanted a pink helmet for floor hockey. I decided to give glittering a shot.
First I took a photo of the helmet--so I could get it back together when I was done. . .
Its just a basic black helmet. . . It would have been easier with white. But we had black.
I sanded each piece. Then I brushed on a layer of tacky glue and poured on the glitter.
Here you can see in the piece on the right what one layer of glitter and glue looked like.
After the first layer, I used Mod Podge and glitter layering. This was repeated many times until I couldn't see the black. It took a lot more glitter than I had anticipated.
Then each piece was finished with a spray of clear spray paint. I wasn't sure that this would keep it from "shedding." It has worked rather well.
Then came the most difficult part. Reassembling.
The glitter added quite a bit of thickness and the hardware was very difficult to get back in.
I gave her the finished piece on Christmas. She was thrilled.
She's worn it in a few games and practices. It has held up very well. I can't believe there is nothing to touch up.
This is the condition after getting beat up at a few games.
I'm really glad I decided to attempt to glitterize this helmet.
The only issue is some parents aren't thrilled because now their daughters want glitter helmets, too.