A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 296,385
Currently Running With Scissors:
721 Guests and 40 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Thanks, Maria Merlino!!!  (Read 616 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

AmyLynn98
« on: January 26, 2012 08:58:23 AM »

Maria Merlino, thanks so much for this free pattern you posted!  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

My crafting room is upstairs in our house, which is actually the finished off room in our attic. I love it. It has floor and ceiling paneling, great storage, and the walls and ceiling follow the peak of our house's roof.

That being said, the stairs going up to the room are narrow and steep. I've tripped going up and down them so many times. It's not even a big enough doorway for a door. I used to have two plaid paneled curtains in the door frame, because when I'm wrapping gifts up there, I like a little privacy from any wandering eyes.

Last summer, I started to crochet this blanket from Maria Merlino. When I did a little cleaning last summer, I decided to move those curtains to the dining room and get something new to hang over the open doorway. I originally thought I could make this to be a curtain for the window upstairs in my room, but I misjudged the finished size, so that's why it's my doorway curtain instead.

I started working on it in June 2011 and worked on it here and there, whenever I had some time and wasn't working on something else for someone else. I just finished the actual blanket last night. Tonight, I'm going to add some extra (removeable) loops to the top edge to I can slide a tension rod through it and use it as my new curtain.

It's almost 6 feet long and about 4 feet wide, and I actually left out some rows towards the top, making the chopsticks a little shorter (and a little wonky looking, in my opinion), because I really was starting to think that if I didn't cut this shorter, it...was..never...g oing..to...end. I  also think I made my blanket different than what Maria designed, but I'm not sure. I think her white sections are supposed to have SC chains in them to make it more of an open pattern. Mine is all DC's.

I used a J sized crochet hook. It's made with Caron white and scarlet (100% acrylic), but I've forgotten how much I used. I started out with the one pound skeins of each color but I think I had to buy one more of each but hardly used any of the extra skeins. It's just been so long. The edging is 1 1/2 skeins of Moda Dea yarn in Jai Alai (#6532), a  100% polyester yarn that I believe has been discontinued. I know it totally doesn't match in color to the blanket, but I love this stuff so much.

I can't wait to get this hung tonight. My husband has been a little crazy over it. As a Hawkeyes fan, he would have preferred a different color scheme. In his opinion, I should have finished this and give it to his friend Crystal, who is a Nebraska fan, and then make one for our house in yellow and white instead. I said no way, I've spent too much time working on this one to give away! Smiley Then I told him to be nice or I'd crochet us a Patriots blanket for our bed. Smiley
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012 04:08:47 AM by AmyLynn98 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yay me! My zombie garden gnome was named a 2013 Featured Project: Home Sweet Home: Interiors & Exteriors! Thanks for voting for him!

Check out my posts on Geek Crafts or at amylynn98.blogspot. com/
Maria Merlino
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

An Invitation to You to Explore My Work

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012 10:49:29 AM »

WOW!!!! That is just phenomenal! I love that you did it in yarn as a blanket. I'm thrilled with your work!

If anyone would like the chart, you can find it here:
http://voices.yahoo.com/photos/crochet-chinese-take-out-box-chopsticks-curtain-8442889.html?cat=30

Maria
THIS ROCKS   Logged

phnxreign99
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012 06:42:46 PM »

That's awesome!  So much work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Got this piece of shrinky dink ... had it for 25 years now.  It's moved to five states and one European country ... and I just know, someday ... SOMEDAY ... I WILL use it!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Learn how to Make Glazed Baby Back Ribs with Garlic and Rosemary
Learn how to make an Heirloom Beet and Vidalia Onion Salad
Learn how to Make a Vidalia Onion and Applewood Bacon Vinaigrette
Learn how to Finish a Vidalia Sweet Onion and Crab Souffle
Learn how to Make the Base for a Vidalia Sweet Onion and Crab Souffle
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...