A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,138
Currently Running With Scissors:
604 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Crochet for Men with Thick hands/skulls/browlines  (Read 809 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Zombie Dad
« on: January 26, 2012 05:32:54 AM »

Simply put, I'd like to get started making amigurumi but have zero skills with crochet, knitting or anything else involving yarn. Can anyone recommend a good starting point, what equipment I need and some good tutorials for thick fingered types like myself. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Zombie Dad
THIS ROCKS   Logged
chpetunia
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012 09:33:25 AM »

Hello!

I'm happy to hear you have interest in crochet.  I have crocheted for many years and find it a challenging, yet relaxing, hobby.

With anything, you need to learn the basics first.

I would suggest an F Hook and light-colored yarn.

The stitches are easier to see in light-colored yarn.

I use the traditional straight hooks.  (they might be vintage by now!)

There are newer crochet hooks with a thicker handle that might suit you better.
On the other hand, you probably use a typical pen or pencil and could use basic hook.  The simple hooks cost less.

I like cotton yarn because my ami work is crisp and clear.  Cotton splits easily as you work.

Medium-priced acrylic yarn is available in many colors and can be found at good price.

I learned from a book.  Today there is so much instruction on the internet that you should be able to find how-to directions in print or video.

First learn how to hold the yarn.  Find a style you like and practice wrapping the yarn around your other hand to be ready to crochet.

You will keep tension and move the yarn along with other hand and work the crochet hook with your dominant hand.

Chain stitch is first.  Practice until your work is consistent and smooth.

Single crochet (sc) is the primary stitch in amigurumi.  Practice will increase dexterity, tension, and smooth work.

I suggest PlanetJune's website to learn techniques for increasing and decreasing.  There are many tutorials, but June's single crochet decrease is the smoothest and best ever.  She will even correspond with you if you write for help. 

I have found reading patterns very logical and easy to follow.  Not everyone does.  There are also tutorials in books or online to help you understand the special language of crochet!  Soon you will understand the abbreviations and shortcuts easily.

My best advice for you is to be patient and persevere. 
Crochet is not easy and immediate.
Any thing you try is difficult at first. 

I wish you all the best in your new endeavor.
Think of the fantastic feeling to look at some crochet piece and say, "I did it myself."

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Thickheaded crochet guy
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012 03:48:02 PM »

I too am a thick headed/fingered/browridged guy.  I learned by watching tons of youtube videos,  picked up the wife's hooks and started doing it one day.  I'd suggest starting with something simple, personally I made a dozen slimes from the Dragon quest/warrior game.  Best luck out there and keep at it, I've been having fun with crochet for a year now and don't think I'm gonna be stopping anytime soon.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Komekoro
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2012 03:38:15 PM »

I know that when I started crocheting, it was hard for me! I taught myself using a book for kids, and worked with scarves and other little things before attempting amigurumi. Don't be afraid to take something out and redo it if you don't think it looks right, and if one tutorial doesn't work, find another!

Best of luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Dark Chocolate-Dipped Cherries
How to Decorate Cupcakes With a Theme
Stacked Cherry Puff Pastry Dessert Recipe
How to Make Rocky Road Ice Cream
Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Sandwich Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...