A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 302,582
Currently Running With Scissors:
664 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Labour costs?  (Read 915 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

charlieandwillow

Professional viking-tamer & bear-wrangler.

View Profile WWW
« on: January 28, 2012 10:43:35 AM »

Afternoon fellow crafty bods.
My apologies if this has been addressed elsewhere, but I need to pick your brains.
Last year I made a plushy pillow monster based loosely on the Mystery Critter pattern for a friend's toddler. His mum and dad loved it (as did the small personage), and now they've come to me with a proposition. Small personage's dad is a camp director at the summer camp I used to work at. His co-directors (and the majority owners of the camp) have decided that they want to give teddybears to the youngest campers this summer, and have asked if I would be interested in making 100 plushies.  I'm beyond stoked at this prospect. However, I have no clue how to put a value on my time. The plushies are pretty easy to make, and the materials are fairly inexpensive (fleece, felt, thread, fiberfill and reclaimed cotton knit from camp T-shirts), however, they're fiddly and time consuming as I machine embroider and applique all the critter's features. I haven't figured out how much time is invested in each one, but I would estimate around 1 - 1 1/2 hours.
This is basically a long-winded way of saying, how much is my time worth? I really don't know how to put a number on that, and would be interested to hear from other craftsters how much they figure their time to be worth when working out selling prices.
Thanks for sharing your wisdom and experience!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jungrrl
Global Moderator
Crafty Business Advice Moderator
Toys, Dolls, and Playthings Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a portmanteau.

Former Full-time Craftster-er

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012 02:29:30 PM »

There are a few different pricing options here:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=152116.0

But as far as how much your time is worth, if you have a full-time job, why not price it at the amount you get paid per hour there? If you don't feel like you get paid enough, raise it! 100 plushies is a LOT and you want to make sure you're getting paid enough so that the knowledge of the money you're making outweighs the boredom of making 100 of the same thing. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

squidmagician

The Mad Mage of the Mountains

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012 01:34:28 PM »

Imagine someone was hiring you to work in a teddy bear factory.  What would you expect them to pay you?  At least minimum wage, for sure, and probably a good deal more.  You ARE highly skilled, after all.  And like jungrrl said, you want to make enough to stay motivated.  It sucks to be halfway through a project thinking you deserve more than what you charged.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012 01:12:26 AM »

As the biz owner you work on salary, not an hourly wage. You have to set a price for a bear you can live with, then slash it for a bulk discount of 100. Whatever the end price, you're going to make a profit off 100 bears. And of course get your customer to agree to it and pay half up front.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Chris in VT
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2012 04:00:49 AM »

Definitely half up front. And the remainder upon delivery.
Make up a simple contract as to what is going to happn. You are going to manufacture 100 bears for a total price of x. You are to receive 50% down payment upon signing, and the balance will be due upon delivery. And you must agree to a delivery date.
And both of you sign it and each keep a copy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There's NOTHING at a craft show, or on Etsy, anybody NEEDS. NOTHING.
www.shadypinestudio s.com
Shelin20
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2012 07:09:43 AM »

I am a professional seamstress for a small company that does concerts etc like lady gaga, and when I did a side job my mother in law told me to charge what I make at Atomic. I make $12 an hour in the state of PA which is pretty decent for seam stressing so I would recommend trying to find a local seamstress and finding out what they charge.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.etsy.com/people/CommodityOddity
Find everything and anything of whimsy in my etsy
Use code ODDBALL for 15% off!
http://yardsellr.com/yardsale/Steph-Helin-598297
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
D.J. MacHale Reveals Where He Would Like to Be
George Wendt Talks About Drinking with George
Andrea Raynor Offers Readers Some Words of Wisdom
Charles Kipps Talks About Crystal Death
Meet Author Simon Doonan
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...