A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,172
Currently Running With Scissors:
616 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Question regarding measurements  (Read 450 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

BrandiSAS

Granny Square for Heather's Afghan

View Profile
« on: January 23, 2012 04:30:59 PM »

I'm really new to sewing and I completed a couple of "starter" projects to get the hang of things... My apron turned out well enough even if my stitches were uneven and my ruffles wonky and my yoga mat bag is holding up nicely... But I started to sew so I could make my own clothing.

I'm using instructions that basically tell you how to draft your own pattern for a shirt... I understand the instructions very well but I've run in to a huge problem.  No matter how many times I draft and redraft, measure and remeasure, my pattern always ends up way too big. 

I looked up size charts online to see if my measurements matched up with the size clothing I buy and even that is off!  According to most size charts I should be wearing a size 26!  I'm a size 18/20 in tops and 16/18 in bottoms!

Is there some rule of thumb regarding measurements that I don't know?  Please help me!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
redredrogue
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012 04:44:25 PM »

I'm using instructions that basically tell you how to draft your own pattern for a shirt... I understand the instructions very well but I've run in to a huge problem.  No matter how many times I draft and redraft, measure and remeasure, my pattern always ends up way too big. 

Is it too big after it's sewn or does it look too big beforehand?

I looked up size charts online to see if my measurements matched up with the size clothing I buy and even that is off!  According to most size charts I should be wearing a size 26!  I'm a size 18/20 in tops and 16/18 in bottoms!

Pattern sizing has totally different system than off-the-rack clothes. My size in a pattern is eight higher than it is in normal clothes, so your measurements sound perfect!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm frightened by the devil, and I'm drawn to those ones who ain't afraid.
BrandiSAS

Granny Square for Heather's Afghan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012 04:56:24 PM »

Is it too big after it's sewn or does it look too big beforehand?

When compared to a very similarly styled shirt that fits me well, it's too big beforehand... like monstrously!  I tried finishing a shirt, thinking I could just "take it in" if it didn't fit... It was so badly sized that I would have had to recut the shirt.  I threw that one in the scrap pile.. It's frustrating to waste fabric like that.

Pattern sizing has totally different system than off-the-rack clothes. My size in a pattern is eight higher than it is in normal clothes, so your measurements sound perfect!

I compared both and even the off-the-rack size charts from companies I frequently buy clothing from are way off... According to Eddie Bauer I shouldn't be able to fit in to their size 26 pants but I just bought a pair of 18s that are a little too baggy.  So I have to assume that I'm measuring incorrectly but not by 9 inches!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
i.am.flowerchild

Hello from Australia!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012 08:05:49 PM »

Are you using a pattern drafting book or website?

If so, which one.

The books that I use are Winifred Aldrich and Helen Armstrong - both are very good. Winifred uses Metric but Armstrong is American so it's in inches.

I highly recommend either one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ludi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

May the Ghost Squid be with you

Team Wordy!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012 11:52:56 AM »

Here are some discussions of "ease" - the amount of extra fabric in a pattern:

http://www.threadsmagazine.com/item/5060/the-ease-factor-in-pattern-drafting-software

http://mccallpattern.mccall.com/ease-chart-pages-575.php

http://theprofessorswife.wordpress.com/2012/01/12/tutorial-adjusting-pattern-ease/

I hope this helps some. 

Here's a site which I've found helpful with making some patterns:  http://www.pattern-making.com/category/blouses-pattern-drafting/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Arielle Thibodeaux: Beauty By Arielle
Cara Brook: Maskcara
Ashley Weatherford: August Skin
Faith McGee: Makeup For Last Night
Stephanie Lee: Beauty By Lee
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...