A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,576
Currently Running With Scissors:
722 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What to do with Beneful plastic containers?  (Read 2414 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MiniBooger
For I'd rather stay here, with all the madmen, for I'm quite content, they're all as sane as me...

View Profile WWW
« on: January 21, 2012 06:28:05 PM »

I have a zillion of these things and have searched for ideas - beyond using them for storage, I found nothing. Any ideas on a fun craft-related use for these? The labels come right off leaving a semi-transparent white/clear container. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftewoman
Tutorial Contributor

Busy sculpting...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012 07:20:54 PM »

If it's number 6 plastic, you can use it like shrinky dinks.
http://www.instructables.com/id/Super-Shinking-Plastic!/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PeachieClean
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012 07:15:42 PM »

Hmm... Loads of storage ideas.  Beyond that?

-Advent calendar
-Gift box
-Weird fountain-thing?
-Gifting small plants
-Paint-stuff  (Holding paint while you use it, water cup, etc.)
-Getting rid of flies.  (So you can just toss it out and not have to worry about cleaning dead flies out of your cups)

You could try donating them to preschools.  They'd most likely be able to use them for something.  My stepmom is a pre-k teacher and they make all kinds of things out of whatever they happen to have on hand at the time. 

And of course you could always fill 'em up with something nice for your dog.  Making home-made doggy treats and keeping them in the containers would probably work pretty well. 

You could probably paint them and use them as decoration as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My boyfriend is holding a Pokemon themed contest.  Interested?  http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.359328020778498.82645.352681428109824&type=1
lovelaughlive
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012 12:45:20 PM »

Well, I made an earring-holder as a flower of a yoghurt cup, but I think, the containers are not round enough to look like flowers. But you can make some other things out of it, just make some hools in there and be creative with painting and cutting.

I don't know, if there are any little children round you? There are some funny games to make out of it, like a sound or smell memory: Just put in each two containers the same stuff (like wood, a plastic figure, nails, sand...) and you have to find the pair while shaking the container and finding the same sound. (You can do the same with smelling and putting different spices etc. in there)

Or why not using it as wall art? I dunno if I can explain, what I have in my mind at the moment, I just try:
You can hang up several containers on the wall with the bottom on the wall, so the open side looks at you. Then you can fill them with a solid substance, that you can shape that it looks liquid, like it drops out of the containers.

Hope you got, what I meant. Have fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MiniBooger
For I'd rather stay here, with all the madmen, for I'm quite content, they're all as sane as me...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012 01:13:53 PM »

Thanks everyone for the ideas! As this will be an ongoing "inventory", I'll definitely send most to my niece's school. Maybe they can plant things in them. I do like the match game idea and will play around with that  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kellydawncreations

I love to make creative colorful messes of love!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012 05:40:52 PM »

You could make snow like globes that is the first thing that came to mind to me Smiley with them with or without water, silicone them shut if you do water Smiley

drill holes in for a whimsical pencil holder ? drill holes in dome to use as a Flower arranging 'frog'
THIS ROCKS   Logged

All children are artists. The problem is how to remain an artist once he grows up.
Pablo Picasso

need some fairy portraits of your kiddos or self??? www.kellydawncreations.etsy.com  I love to barter or swap!
thriftymissy

Let's Do Something Amazing!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2012 12:57:22 PM »

If you're short on storage space, like me, you could drill a thin piece of metal sheeting to the inner wall/side wall of a cabinet then attach magnets to the backs of the containers, depending on how big they are.  Put craft things/spices/bathroom items (like q-tips, cotton, tweezers, etc) in them and use them as vertical storage!  If the lids are plastic, use a write-on-wipe-off marker to label them!

ThriftyMissy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ThriftyMissy

Let's Do Something Amazing!
PaperBeau
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2012 02:15:30 PM »

i love this idea of magnet storage - definitely will be installing in my new home when I move!

My suggestions: Use as plant pots, or... you liked the idea of the kids games - so maybe make shakers out of some of them with lentils, salt etc... start up your own samba percussion band Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MAmadurk
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2012 09:39:01 PM »

Is the label printed to the plastic or can it be removed?
you could use them at the beach or in the sandbox as shovels or as molds.

Probably about the right size for disposing of dead mice in traps (I usually use a 2 lb yogurt container, but these might still work.)

The shape is about right for a santa's sleigh...ornaments or table decorations at Christmas?

Can you poke holes in them? you could connect them with zip-ties and build something bigger---a bowl or a wastebasket (Same idea as the kind made by connecting egg cartons)

MAmadurk
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I don't consider myself a book collector.  I just have books,
the way one has air to breathe.   -N. Hilyard

I cannot live without books.  -Thomas Jefferson
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Yellowtail Sushi
How to Make a Spicy Tuna Roll
How to Make a Salmon Roll
How to Make the Perfect Tempura With Tadashi Ono
Indian Ghee Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins
Are You Ready For Some Football?
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...