A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,488
Currently Running With Scissors:
515 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Most popular Christmas gift of 2011  (Read 786 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Alexampersandra
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafter. Librarian. Blogger.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: January 05, 2012 05:21:09 PM »

I discovered the perfect gift this year for Christmas. I gave out ten of these things, and everyone adores them (and the people who didn't get one wish they had). They're great for men or women (of all ages, except maybe little kids), they're easy to make, they require few materials, and they aren't expensive. These amazing gifts are, of course... rice-filled heat packs.

I made ten of these things, and I only just started sewing in October. I'm working on a tute to put on my blog, but there are several great ones on Craftster. The basic steps to my version are: fold a rectangle of cotton in half lengthwise and sew up the sides; turn it inside out and fill it with rice (scented rice if you want! I used a few drops of candle fragrance in a big bowl of rice to make mine smell like lavender and vanilla); sew the top closed (I sewed across it twice to deter spillage); sew a sham cover for it so if it gets dirty, you can take off the cover and wash it (since the inner pack can't get wet or it can get gross and moldy).

I've already been informed by some of my recipients that these are great for: post-yoga muscle relief; pre-bedtime relaxation; mid-PMS cramp relief; dead-of-winter foot/bed warmer; backache deterrent. I also learned somewhere (probably elsewhere on Craftster?) that you can freeze them and use them as cold packs.

I got a TON of my Christmas gift ideas from this board, so I wanted to give a little something back Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I'd take the awe of understanding over the awe of ignorance any day." [Douglas Adams]
Momof2!
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012 05:37:55 PM »

I made some of these about 10 years ago. Everyone loved them. I still have ours, and my husband actually used it the last few days on his back. They are wonderful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Faux Leather Charms with Tanya Memme
Outdoor Advent Calendar with Sophie Uliano
Learn How to Tie the Perfect Holiday Bow with Tanya Memme
Making DVD Christmas Ornaments with Tanya Memme
Upcycled CD Disco Ball & Jewelry - Do It, Gurl
Latest Blog Articles
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3
September 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...