A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,374
Currently Running With Scissors:
641 Guests and 36 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Men's sweater to cute women's tunic  (Read 4445 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Anyuta
« on: January 19, 2012 02:15:26 PM »

Picked up a men's sweater at a thrift store for 10$ (I see people here who mention getting nice clothing items for 2-3$! Where do you find such thrift stores? =O ) and remade it into this nice winter tunic. I'm not a big fan of winter and winter clothing, especially since you often end up wearing the same sweaters days on end... this will give my closet a bit of variety =)

Reconstructed:

Before:

Basically I fitted it nicely to my figure, got rid of the sleeves and changed the collar (adding buttons for extra classy-ness Wink ).

Since it was a knit sweater (I was careful to chose a tight knit that I could work with), I used a zig-zag for all my stitches (holds yarn better together) and then did a kind of "overclock" by hand. To change the turtle-neck collar into an opening one, I stitched two lines close together, cut between the two, overclocked the edges and turned them underneath so you wouldn't see the raw bits. =)

It was a fun project and I'm very satisfied with the result!
*Runs off to thrift store to look for a cheaper sweater to reconstruct*
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012 08:12:48 AM by Anyuta - Reason: "Tunic" is a more accurate name than "vest" » THIS ROCKS   Logged
sheepBlue
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafting to keep insanity at bay.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012 02:18:34 PM »

That turned out really cute! I'm sort of getting into reconstructing clothes and this is very inspiring!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

EllaRain
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012 05:17:51 PM »

The collar is really cute. Nicely done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese. . . . I would rather have cheese.
http://pinterest.com/ellaraindrop/
Anyuta
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012 05:34:52 PM »

That turned out really cute! I'm sort of getting into reconstructing clothes and this is very inspiring!

Go for it! But be warned, it's kind of addicting thehehe  Wink

The collar is really cute. Nicely done!

Thanks! The collar is probably my favourite part Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Burgawinosourus
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012 04:01:46 AM »

This is a really great reconstruct job. I love the added buttons and how you changed the neck. And I know what you mean about needed variety in the closet. I tend to make more things for spring and summer. I should really start making more warmer clothes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I do what I like and I like what I do.
alexxxx
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2012 04:10:22 PM »

you did a great job!
I love what you did to the neck.

I have tried to reconstruct jumpers in the past, and have been unsucessful,
Have just realised, thanks to you Antyuta that i need to make sure they are tightknit jumpers Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012 04:10:53 PM by alexxxx » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Anyuta
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2012 11:35:50 AM »

you did a great job!

Have just realised, thanks to you Antyuta that i need to make sure they are tightknit jumpers Roll Eyes

Yup yup! Tight-knit is preferable =) Also, it's important to stitch it thoroughly before cutting anything to avoid it coming undone.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alexxxx
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2012 04:21:48 PM »

you did a great job!

Yup yup! Tight-knit is preferable =) Also, it's important to stitch it thoroughly before cutting anything to avoid it coming undone.

Thank youAnyuta! stitching before....totally makes sense.... it did not cross my mind.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

teachart
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2012 02:19:08 PM »

What a lovely recon. The buttons are great. I was just thinking I needed more vests in my wardrobe...  Thanks for sharing.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PockyImp
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2012 10:57:16 PM »

Super cute!  I really love what you did with the collar. 
Where do you find such thrift stores?
  Goodwill!  The quality you'll find will certainly vary from store to store, but I've actually found some really nice stuff at Goodwill.  Also Value Village, if there's one near you.  Not sure how far that chain stretches.  The cheaper stores are usually the huge ones that'll take anything indiscriminately, and where you have to do a bit more work looking for the nice pieces.  (I remember going once to a thrift store in St. Louis called Rock Star Rags which was in a big, kind of creepy warehouse full of bins and barrels of clothes, which they sold by the pound.  Like, two bucks a pound or something.  Not sure that place even still exists.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
violentjayne
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2012 11:14:23 AM »

very cute , I especially like the neck line
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Anyuta
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2012 10:20:22 AM »

Super cute!  I really love what you did with the collar. 
Where do you find such thrift stores?
  Goodwill!  The quality you'll find will certainly vary from store to store, but I've actually found some really nice stuff at Goodwill.  Also Value Village, if there's one near you.  Not sure how far that chain stretches.  The cheaper stores are usually the huge ones that'll take anything indiscriminately, and where you have to do a bit more work looking for the nice pieces.  (I remember going once to a thrift store in St. Louis called Rock Star Rags which was in a big, kind of creepy warehouse full of bins and barrels of clothes, which they sold by the pound.  Like, two bucks a pound or something.  Not sure that place even still exists.)

Thanks PockyImp! Big ones got ya Wink I have Value Village near my place, but it seems to be overly popular and rather pricey... Gotta explore more!
(I do, however know of some fabric stores that sell scrap fabric by the pound like you say =P Good deals!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tigergirl
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2012 05:34:16 PM »

Nice! It looks much better than a 'vest' though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Anyuta
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2012 08:10:53 AM »

I realize it's actually more of a tunic, isn't it? My mind does weird things sometimes and throws random vocabulary words at me, assuring me that it is the right word to use =P
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tigergirl
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2012 03:30:02 PM »

I realize it's actually more of a tunic, isn't it? My mind does weird things sometimes and throws random vocabulary words at me, assuring me that it is the right word to use =P

No, vest is probably right, it just doesn't really conjure up thoughts of something this nice for me - I think 'Grandad' when I read/hear 'vest' and yours is most certainly not a 'Grandad' vest.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Anyuta
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2012 05:52:27 AM »

No, vest is probably right, it just doesn't really conjure up thoughts of something this nice for me - I think 'Grandad' when I read/hear 'vest' and yours is most certainly not a 'Grandad' vest.

Hahaha, nope! Although it might have been a "Grandad" sweater =P
I think for me a tunic is like a short dress/long shirt and a vest is more something you would button, like this: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=387715.msg4587683#msg4587683 (although I called it waistcoat there hehe... words! what they do to us!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mouse123
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2012 10:38:24 PM »

I like the length - looks nice and cozy!

Picked up a men's sweater at a thrift store for 10$ (I see people here who mention getting nice clothing items for 2-3$! Where do you find such thrift stores? =O )

I'm a bit of a thrift addict... My thrifting tips: avoid the big chains (Sally Ann or Value Village), unless they are having 50% off sales.  Try to find smaller church run thrift stores.  These often have daily specials that include 50% off certain colour price tags.  Where I live the MCC (Mennonite Central Committee) and Bibles for Missions are two of the larger church-run chains.  Other smaller stores, like those supporting local hospitals/hospices can be good too.  Also, suburbs have better pricing and selection than in the city.  Many of stores you cannot find on the internet, so you kinda have to develop an eye for spotting thrift stores while drivng/on the bus!  Finally, we're in garage saleing season!  Recently I've found garage saleing clothing to be pretty inexpensive.  Check out craigslist!   

whew, that ended up being long.  But hope it helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Maraleopard
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2012 12:47:26 PM »

cute! i love the collar (:
THIS ROCKS   Logged

blogfacebook + twitter

it is better to destroy, than to create what is meaningless.
Anyuta
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2012 06:10:57 AM »

I like the length - looks nice and cozy!

Picked up a men's sweater at a thrift store for 10$ (I see people here who mention getting nice clothing items for 2-3$! Where do you find such thrift stores? =O )

I'm a bit of a thrift addict... My thrifting tips: avoid the big chains (Sally Ann or Value Village), unless they are having 50% off sales.  Try to find smaller church run thrift stores.  These often have daily specials that include 50% off certain colour price tags.  Where I live the MCC (Mennonite Central Committee) and Bibles for Missions are two of the larger church-run chains.  Other smaller stores, like those supporting local hospitals/hospices can be good too.  Also, suburbs have better pricing and selection than in the city.  Many of stores you cannot find on the internet, so you kinda have to develop an eye for spotting thrift stores while drivng/on the bus!  Finally, we're in garage saleing season!  Recently I've found garage saleing clothing to be pretty inexpensive.  Check out craigslist!   

whew, that ended up being long.  But hope it helps!

Thanks! It does =)
Gotta explore more and bike around all those garage sales!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
puchy
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2012 05:32:21 PM »

Beautiful, it looks great. I congratulate you. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet Sugar Cookie Candle Wreaths
How to Crochet Remembrance Poppies
Simple Ways to Decorate Pumpkins
Pumpkin Picking Tips
Different Types of Pumpkins
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Melted Crayon Painting
More Art, Less Craft
Meatless Monday: No Bake Lime Cheesecake

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...