A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 296,709
Currently Running With Scissors:
499 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: how do you organize/ keep patterns?  (Read 3904 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sweatereyes

We are but lovers.

View Profile WWW
« on: January 19, 2012 11:55:37 AM »

(first off, I'm sorry mods if this is in the wrong forum, I looked at all of them and thought that this was the best place to plop it)

So, I need some help!  I was wondering how others, who have/ make etc a lot of patterns, how they store them while not in use?  At first, I was keeping my patterns in a green plastic folio (with dividers), but it only has 6 dividers (and I've looked for ones with a lot more, I've only found a few and they are e-x-p-e-n-s-i-v-e).  My patterns tend to have a lot of different, tiny pieces (as they are not for clothing but for stuffed animals) and I keep losing pieces of them without having an easy organization system.  I was hoping for something a little DIY, and not just directing me to any particular "product" (if that makes sense.. I mean, I'm not interested in buying a fancy system or anything, I just need something that works!).

Please share how you keep your patterns organized!! 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ill weave your names into my ribcage; lock your hearts inside my chest.
Regain the passion I once carried; do away with all the rest.
I tore the sickness from your bodies; smashed its head against the bricks.
I made a castle from its bones that you may always dwell in it.
Antidigger
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012 01:26:26 PM »

I put mine in poly pockets and keep then in a lever arch file. It does get bulky, but nothing drops out if I keep the file upright.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look twice, buy once. Nooooo
Look twice, decide I can make one instead.
Alexus1325
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012 01:33:08 PM »

I'm a bad crafter Sad I just fold up my patterns with the smaller bits inside the folds and stack them on top of my computer stereo... I DO label all my pieces, though, so I know what they are, and some of the pieces (sleeves, mainly) are interchangeable. Yeah, I'm no help to you Tongue

You guys did just give me an idea, though! Those plastic sleeves that can go in a binder come in 10-packs at the dollar store. I think if I folded the patterns really nicely, I could make them fit into the sleeves...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

leopardstripes

The other one has bells on it!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012 02:28:54 PM »

I use gallon ziplock bags, and an old file cabinet with hanging folders. I also photocopy the covers, front and back, and keep those in a three-ring binder, so I have a reference to locate them. Yeah, I know. It's a Taurus thing.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I can't seem to stay with one guru long enough to get enlightened." -from the Life and Letters of Tofu Roshi
JHall
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012 03:48:48 PM »

I recently made a bunch of McCall-sized envelopes out of 12"x12" scrapbooking paper for stuff like this. I label them and keep them in the same bin I keep all of my regular patterns in.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

N30Nb100d
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012 04:41:03 PM »

I mostly use quart sized ziplock bags lined up in a box. They're about the same size as a pattern envelope, so the patterns I trace/make end up the same size as ones I've bought. I've also used the brown paper envelopes with a small metal clasp. It's easy to write notes on them and they come in lots of sizes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ChrisSews
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012 10:05:03 PM »

I have a couple of ways to keep them. 

Regular patterns I keep in their envelopes and store them in shoe boxes.  I'd like to have a better system to these but the shoe boxes work for now.

Patterns I've made myself, copied and altered from bought patterns, or printed from online I typically fold and put in those plastic page protectors.  If there are lots of small bits...like for tiny stuffies I put them in envelopes and then into the page protectors.  All the page protectors are in a huge binder. 

Some that I don't use much but still want to keep are in plain manilla mailing envelopes, labeled, and filed away. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my projects, ideas, and swap wish list at...
http://pinterest.com/cmsargent/
me04071986
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2012 06:47:42 PM »

I use ziplock bags, the biggest. I can write on the bag the size the pattern is cut to. Then I can put all the pattern pieces in it, as well as the original pattern 'bag'. Keeps moisture from getting to your patterns as well. I store them in clear plastic totes, by type. Like dresses in one, skirts in another, etc.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm just another stitch in time...
Alexus1325
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2012 01:05:46 PM »

I did it! I bought page protectors and a new binder at Dollarama Cheesy

Each pattern gets it's own "title page" with a photo and description of what the pattern is.

Now I just have to *find* the rest of my print-off patterns and put them in there!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

NattyBee
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2012 03:53:27 PM »

I have a variety of ways of storing the patterns that I make or draw myself I keep in a large artists portfolio thing that a friend gave me.  I also have a large tube that I keep a lot of patterns in so that I don't have to fold the paper.  And then the rest of my patterns and pieces i keep either in manilla envelopes or ziplock bags.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Get a Great Hairstyle For an Oval-Shaped Face With Curly Hair
How to Avoid Bad Hair Extensions
Why Wearing Tight Ponytails Is Harmful to Your Hair
How to Wear a Drag Queen Wig
How to Maintain a Wig
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...