A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,082
Currently Running With Scissors:
708 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: New Sewer - Overwhelmed :-/  (Read 3261 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jan.elle
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2011 02:57:12 PM »

Don't feel discouraged! I sometimes get overwhelmed when I look at sewing books and it's talking about fancy pockets or facings or something... I'm sure someone has said this already, but don't worry and start small!

i've been sewing a lot more recently, and i'm pretty impressed with the progress i've made in about 5 years of sewing on and off. i started by reconstructing clothes, mostly. and i study clothes ALL the time. i work at a clothing store and i feel like i'm constantly learning because i examine clothes i'd like to learn how to make someday.

also, visit a book store or library and sit in front the sewing section. i do this all the time (geeky maybe? i just like sewing books). flip through the books that include patterns...most of these books will walk you step by step through making the projects. if you do decide to buy one, though, i'd recommend looking up the book on Amazon. you'll probably find it much cheaper there.

last thing...have fun! you don't need to feel pressured to be an amazing seamstress over night. learning to sew can be a difficult, albeit fun process. and think of it this way...in time you'll be able to look back and say: look how far i've come!

good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Style Blog: http://lovemakesthegirl.blogspot.com

My Sewing Blog: http://sewinspireme.blogspot.com

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment." -Ralph Waldo Emerson
HongKongChick
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2011 09:04:56 AM »

haha overwhelmed is my middle name! i am fairly new to sewing with a machine as well (well actually new to sewing period). and there are times when i had  Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh in my head when reading instructions or patterns. but i never bought a book, i rely on the internet.  whenever i came across something i didnt understand, i searched online for an explanation or solution.  and sometimes youtube has lots of videos teaching you how to do certain things like zippers and such. 

dont be discouraged! i went from not knowing how to operate a sewing machine to now quilting and embroidery all within a year, so trust me, there were hard times, headaches, blood and tears! LOL but at least all of us newbies are right there with you!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BeachBabe182
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2013 07:29:28 PM »

Well, almost 3 years to the day since I wrote this post, and it's funny looking back at how nervous I was to sew. Now I can sew pretty much anything I set my mind to Smiley practice really does make perfect. I've made quilts, bags, clothing, underwear, modern cloth nappies, bunting, freehand machine embroideries. I now even sell the baby clothes I make... What a long way I've come in 3 years Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Halloween Flower Decoration Ideas
How to Make a Diaper Cake
How to Dry Flowers
Halloween Party Wine Bottle Make-Over
Fashion Crafts for Kids
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...