A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 297,070
Currently Running With Scissors:
639 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Organic cotton button front dress  (Read 8557 times)
Tags for this thread: dress  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Maimy
« on: January 19, 2012 08:46:55 AM »

This was one of those projects that was bouncing around in my head for weeks before I finally thought, screw it!, took the plunge and bought the fabric  Cheesy

Features run-down:
-organic cotton
-vintage cotton lining
-metal stag design buttons
-epaulettes
-self fabric belt
-patch pockets
-gathered skirt
-princess line bodice
-topstitched fell seams

It's based on a dress I own that's more formal (it has a little collar, cap sleeves, and it's made from a cotton sateen with a satin lining) - it's been my favourite dress since I got it but it's just a bit too smart for day to day wear  Sad It was a bargain on ebay a couple of years ago, and for months now I've had the idea of recreating it in a more casual style bouncing around in my head.

So  I found some beautiful organic crossweave cotton on Ray-Stitch, and some gorgeous metal stag buttons on Textile Garden, and suddenly everything clicked into place! (I was actually really naughty and didn't even order a sample of the fabric beforehand. My gut said BUY IT! so I did  Roll Eyes )

After an hour with some paper, pins and the original dress I had my first pattern draft of the bodice, and three toiles later I had my pattern. I didn't make a pattern for the skirt... I just took a couple of measurements and ran with it  Wink

As the outer bodice came together, though, I realised a couple of things: one, the fabric was a bit thin, even layered up, to support all those metal buttons. And two: I REALLY REALLY WANTED AN OVERLOCKER. So, uh. I dug out a length of fabulous pink-and-red floral vintage fabric to use as lining... and I bought myself an overlocker.

OK, that sounds really blas. Fact is I've been wanting one for years, and I save hard. HARD. I deserve the odd treat, right?

Right.

It's far from perfect... the waist doesn't QUITE match where it buttons, for example (the belt covers it though, so DO I CARE? NO). And I think one of the buttons over the bust needs shifting slightly, 'cause there's a slight buckle.

Also, I accidentally cut a slight hole in the end of the belt late last night - I was sewing the final two inches of top stitching, WHICH WOULD COMPLETE THE MACHINE STITCHING FOR THE PROJECT, and my sewing machine started misbehaving. Tiredness + technical difficulties + poor light = frustration & hole in belt.

Sigh.

The epaulettes tied my brain in a knot, after I decided to line the dress. I couldn't wrap my head around how I might sew them into the seam, over the shoulder seam. I'm not sure it's possible. So I top-stitched them on at the end Wink

The skirt also tied my brain in a knot a little - I had planned to copy my first dress and pleat it. BUT I wanted patch pockets. How would that work? I pinned some pleats in place anyway, found that I couldn't pleat it (in the style that I wanted) in such a way that I reduced the waist to the correct measurement, then tried the skirt on my dress form and decided the pleats looked rubbish anyway. Then I tried to gather it instead by machine, and the skirt did not WANT to be gathered by machine. So I gathered it loosely by hand. And although still a little illogical, it made my beloved patch pockets a bit more do-able. (Well, I'd do them. They're sexy)

Anyway. If you've read this far you deserve a medal. I think this is the third garment I've ever made from scratch? Comments/constructive criticism/questions of any sort are very welcome Smiley
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012 08:48:40 AM by Maimy » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Maimy x
Etsy | Facebook | Twitter
Retro_Rose

I shoot people for a living. ;o)

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012 08:56:22 AM »

Lovely! And very well made.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

StacyCK
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012 10:06:10 AM »

It looks lovely on you and looks like it fits very well.  Well done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Maimy
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012 12:26:49 PM »

Thanks guys Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Maimy x
Etsy | Facebook | Twitter
julibooli
maker extraordinaire )'(

adventure on the sewin' seas

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012 12:38:46 PM »

It's super cute, and fits you very nicely.

Technically you could have sewn the epaulettes into the shoulder seam, but why bother? It looks great as it is.

I felt pretty guilty buying my serger when money was way tight, but it's paid for itself and is awesome. I use it just as much as I use my sewing machine... although now I've just bought a vintage Pfaff, so here comes the guilt again. It's the fun part of sewing, right?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LimeRiot
Image Reproduction Techniques Moderator
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Sublime

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012 03:23:30 PM »

I absolutely adore this. It looks great on you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest!
My Blog!

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
JHall
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012 03:33:02 PM »

I LOVE the fabrics!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Burgawinosourus
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2012 03:51:38 AM »

This is the cutest dress. Hands down. I simply love it. I mean, the style is simple but super cute. To die for.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I do what I like and I like what I do.
snow_whisper

I love to sew and to read!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2012 05:40:05 PM »

Ahh!!! This is amazing, what an amazing job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~The angels have the sewing machine~
lidehtium
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2012 06:10:56 PM »

I absolutely love it! Its a shame that beautiful fabric is the lining though, its just as pretty as the outside.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Curl Your Hair Using a Flat Iron
Hairapy Ep 108: Leah
How to Maintain Your Neckline
How to Use Hair Gel
How to Talk to a Hairstylist
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...