A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 296,711
Currently Running With Scissors:
422 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Freezer paper stencils sans freezer paper...  (Read 1201 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

carmenmarie
I like getting crafty

View Profile WWW
« on: January 18, 2012 05:29:43 PM »

Freezer paper, if only it were as easy as going to the supermarket and picking a roll up off the shelf.  It is very expensive here, if you can find it.  I saw a tute on instructables about making your own from regular paper and plastic bags, so I thought why not, I have bags and paper.  It came out so well.  I just have a question, do you take the stencil off before the paint dries, I left it on, and it pulled at the fabric a bit.  I love it, hubby loves it too, and my little guy looks pleased as well .

Thanks for looking
THIS ROCKS   Logged

FeliciaSlayDCRG
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012 11:11:04 PM »

I pull my stencil off while its still wet.  Seems to come off easier that way.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ivoryh1632
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012 11:42:32 PM »

I wait until the paint's dry to take mine off. That way if I need to add another layer of paint I can (especially helpful when doing white paint on black fabric), plus I figure  there's less of a chance of the paint running past the stencil or smearing that way.

It does pull a little when taking it off after the paint's dry so I just make sure to be careful and slow when taking it off.

How did you do it with the paper and bag? I have a roll of freezer paper (also expensive where I live, but luckily there's a ton on the roll so it lasts forever), but it'd be nice to be able to just print and image from the computer and cut the stencil out without having to trace it over to the freezer paper.

Your shirt came out great, looks like your boy loved it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

carmenmarie
I like getting crafty

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012 10:38:19 AM »

This is the tute I saw on instructables, the poster uses air mail paper (not sure what that is tho).  In step 6 they mention regular printer paper so I used that.  It is a bit hit and miss with the type of bag that works.  I used a quite heave duty one from a hardware store, or black rubbish bags are about the same weight.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Make-your-own-freezer-paper./?ALLSTEPS

It was great printing right onto the paper, then iron the bag to the back, I placed a piece of baking paper underneath so i didn't accidentally fuse it to my ironing board.  I was so excited when I found it had worked and was ranting to hubby about how I am going to have to stencil everything now.
Thanks for your comments. That is a good tip about waiting to see if you need an extra layer, lets just say I need to work on my brush technique. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ivoryh1632
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012 04:48:41 PM »

Cool, thanks. I'll have to give it a try that way. And this technique is definately addicting. its so easy to make custom stuff this way, and its also easy enough that (except for the ironing) kids can do it too. Or if they're too young to cut they can still draw their own design and you cut it and then they have their artwork on their shirt, I've done that with my neices, they loved it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

peachessunshine

I love swaps/personal swaps (I knit/crochet).

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012 11:19:48 AM »

Both the onesie and your son are adorable! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Long days and pleasant nights. Smiley

(Always up for a swap, organized or personal).
edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2012 02:15:01 PM »

I think airmail paper is just very thin and light paper.

Freezer paper is the best, a tip for tracing, tape the printed image to a window and the paper on top, makes tracing easy....or don't print, tape freezer paper to your computer screen to draw the stencil...

You could always do a personal swap with someone in the US for some freezer paper, or do a swap and ask them to put a few sheets in the bottom of the package! I am not crazy about the idea of melting plastic in that way ( the fumes are not good for you)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use Smooth Cam - Final Cut Pro 6
How to Soften Skin - Color
How to Animate Text on a Path - Motion 3
How to Use QuickTime
How to Video Encode on the Mac
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...