A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 298,749
Currently Running With Scissors:
550 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: stiching on a plane without a scissors?  (Read 2367 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

SublimeStitcher
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2005 09:00:46 AM »

I thought the suggestion of using a dental floss case was particularly clever!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Embroidery Rocks! Sublime Stitching RULES.
Kits - Patterns - How 2
http://www.SublimeStitching.com

Embroidered Artwork by Jenny Hart
http://www.jennyhart.net
sherpa
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2005 09:41:29 AM »

I've flown with a pair of tiny foldable scissors.  A year ago no one had a problem with them, but they were taken away on the last flight even though they didn't have sharp edges.  I was then told all scissors were illegal but the same guy said later that blunt scissors are okay.  Blunt scissors may be flown with but I think it depends on the security guard.  They make take them away anyway.  Clippers without a nailguard work, but i've heard of them being taken away too.  Anyway, the rules are flexible, and be sure whatever you take you don't mind being taken away from you or mailed to your house.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my craft index!
jenboerner
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2005 07:59:55 AM »

Hey everyone.
Thanks for all of the suggestions.
I have bought the round pendant one at Jo Ann, I will take a nail clippers with me too, and cut some thread in advance just in case both of the above cause a problem.
jen
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rachel_miller86
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2005 11:55:06 AM »

FYI... I've always taken knitting with me on the plane. I use wooden circular needles, and have never had a problem. I have, however had nail clippers (and tweezers) taken from me by security though. Don't know if that helps any. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SublimeStitcher
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2005 05:54:24 PM »

really? that's so strange to me. I've never had either taken from me. I did once have a guy in the seat next to me mutter sort of sinisterly about how 'those weren't suppposed to be allowed...'
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Embroidery Rocks! Sublime Stitching RULES.
Kits - Patterns - How 2
http://www.SublimeStitching.com

Embroidered Artwork by Jenny Hart
http://www.jennyhart.net
PurpleHeather
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2005 03:37:09 AM »

I've never had either taken from me. I did once have a guy in the seat next to me mutter sort of sinisterly about how 'those weren't suppposed to be allowed...'

Woo - love when people are afraid of craft things - we're obviously going to satin stitch his hands together.  Fear the crafters!

Gah - I can see the need for security but sometimes things go far too far toward being a nanny state...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

EricaMarie
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2005 06:55:41 PM »

Much to everyone at the Vegas airport's surprise, my family's included, I walked through security wearing a spiked belt with a Bad Religion belt buckle (you know, a cross with the international sign for "no"-the red circle w/ the slash, & I have full sleeves) & the stupid security thing didn't even beep, but my 6 months preggers cousin, who is a total cute innocent mom-type, got picked out of line for the in depth search.

Anyways, my aunt just got back from flying, & she had her dental floss confiscated, because "you can use it to tie up pilots & choke people to death". So maybe EMPTY dental floss thingies can be taken to use to cut floss?

Regardless, the thread cutters from Clover are allowed, according to the TSA. Of course, if security tells you they're not, there's really no way to win an argument with them...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How To Properly Dress for a Holiday Party
How To Get the Most Out of Black Friday
Alyson Hannigan Talks Fashion
We Spy Fashionable Celebrity Engagement Rings
Day-to-Day Evening Looks For Women
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...