A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 296,704
Currently Running With Scissors:
672 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: stiching on a plane without a scissors?  (Read 2262 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jenboerner
« on: June 21, 2005 09:16:42 AM »

I have a long flight coming up and what better way to spend 9 hours that stitching.  I know I won't be able to take the scissors on the plane.  Any ideas to use for cutting thread without getting it taken away at security?  Will the needles cause a problem?
my first idea was an empty dental floss box.
jen
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mj1973
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2005 09:29:05 AM »

I use a pair of nail clippers sometimes. I've never had a problem with those. The baby ones are usually sharper also. I love to embroider on the plane, makes the trip a lot more fun and productive. Have a good time!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Craft Addict

"She's crafty- and she's just my type"

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2005 09:30:53 AM »

I've seen those round thread cutters that sort of look like a pendant.  I wonder if that would work or if the cutting blade is too weak for 6 strands.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LRS
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2005 09:35:53 AM »

The rules are not consistent and they change often.

Call someone at the airline or the airport you'll be flying from and tell them you have a security question.  Ask if you'll be allowed to bring your needles.  I'm not sure what kind of work you're doing, but be ready to describe their length, whether they're sharp or dull.  Then ask if you can bring a tiny thread clipper or a nail clipper.  If not, your dental floss box will work.

This is prime needlework time - don't give it up without a fight!

Not that I'm recommending this, and not that I've ever done anything like this, but I would be tempted to stick a needle or two inside the barrel of a ballpoint pen and keep my mouth shut.  If the pen is metal, that's what they'll see on the xray.  

LRS
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bags & purses:  Elaress.etsy.com
fabric bowls & boxes: ElaressAtHome.etsy. com
radio show/webcast:  www.FrugalYankee.co m
artchixx
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2005 09:50:38 AM »

i saw that someone posted about the round blade pendant thingie from clover.  there are 2 sizes and it can hang like a necklace...is bronze...i think..and has- well, hidden little blades.  the 2 sizes are the thickness of thread it will cut.  clover advertizes it as being airplane safe and permissable.  good luck...if you need help locating one i can set you up.  my mom owns a quilting/needlepoint store and i can hook u up!
happy creating!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DAMN THE THINGS I WILL DO FOR A SCOOBY SNACK!!
lao80
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2005 10:23:03 AM »

You could just pre-cut the floss and then trim the ends once you're home.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fl_mariposa
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2005 10:40:22 AM »

You can take blunt children's scissors.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

out of town until July 10th...I will respond to any messages then.
SublimeStitcher
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2005 01:28:06 PM »

I use nail clippers. And, I've never been stopped for having the needles. I don't recommend hiding them in a pen- that will just make it look suspicious imho.

As for this pendant thingie, are you all talking about one of these?
http://www.quickiecutter.com/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Embroidery Rocks! Sublime Stitching RULES.
Kits - Patterns - How 2
http://www.SublimeStitching.com

Embroidered Artwork by Jenny Hart
http://www.jennyhart.net
EricaMarie
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2005 06:01:26 PM »

Thread cutters, by Clover.http://joanns.com/catalog.jhtml;$sessionid$VSRUTTAAAHPBMP4SY5NBIHR50LD3OEPO?CATID=53007&PRODID=11889

A bit pricey, but better than having to throw your scissors away or being suspected of being a terrorist if you try to hide stuff & it gets found. If something that's contraban gets found in-flight, then you'll have all sorts of hell to pay.

Anyways, http://www.tsa.gov/public/display?theme=175 will answer all your questions about what's allowed & what isn't. You can bring wooden knitting needles, but not metal ones. So when you stab someone with the wooden ones, you can give them splinters too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PurpleHeather
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2005 02:18:23 AM »

I have previously used the Airplane cutters from Willow Fabrics on flights to Paris & Athens:

http://www.willowfabrics.com/acatalog/Thread_Snippers_and_Cutters.html  (About 3 items down the page)

They are a UK company, but you may be able to find a similar thing from a US supplier.  I've also seen those cutters from Clover, etc, but these are much cheaper - not as pretty, but more affordable.

Hope this helps!

Heather.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Sew Machine Buttonholes
How to Use Quilting Cotton in Sewing Projects
How to Use Jersey in Sewing Projects
How to Sew an Elastic Waistband
How to Sew an Overlock Stitch
Latest Blog Articles
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...