A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 296,606
Currently Running With Scissors:
707 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Improve the database query for PMs to reduce latency  (Read 1742 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Melladh
Jolly doomsday prophet

View Profile WWW
« on: January 18, 2012 02:49:14 AM »

It seems that the database query for fetching PMs requests ALL the PMs of a user, to then provide the data from memory. This means that once they're loaded, you can change PM pages quickly, but it unless you only have very few pages, it'll take a shitload of time to do that initial load.

The way it is now could grant an ever so slightly more positive experience for new users if they need to flip pages in the PMs and only have two or three, but how many times don't we go there to check that one new message, and have to wait for the entire history of PMs to load? The change I'm suggesting can't make it that much worse for those few, because craftster apparently manages to hold a whole history of forum activity with decent serving speed, but it would heavily improve things for people who have been here for a while and have several pages of swap dialogue and similar.

And before anyone dismisses this with "delete your crap", let me remind you of one of the many site mottos Cheesy

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"That's my lab table and this is my work-stool. And over there is my intergalactic spaceship! And here's where I keep assorted lengths of wire."
TheSapphireMoon
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

It's like a vacation for the mind, to leave the body behind...

Rockin' the baubles all around town...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012 05:19:43 AM »

Are you referring to PMs in your inbox or outbox?  If referring to the inbox, have you tried using the labels feature?

I TOTALLY love this feature, because I save quite a bit of things Smiley  You can create labels like SWAPS, PERSONAL SWAPS, etc. and then assign your PMs to these labels to 'archive' them, then remove the Inbox label to essentially 'clear' your inbox.

If referring to the outbox of saved PMs you've sent...well...I know the feeling of it taking forever to load Cheesy  Don't know how that data is fetched from the database or if anything can be done to speed up that part of things.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~ ♥ Zoe ♥ ~

In need of rainbow fabrics for a Teesha Moore tote, PM me to swap!

ETSY
http://thesapphiremoon.etsy.com
PINTEREST
http://www.pinterest.com/thesapphiremoon

Shop The Swap 62
50 Projects 2012
Melladh
Jolly doomsday prophet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012 07:14:30 AM »

No, I haven't tried that, and since almost all of my PMs would go into the "swaps" label anyway, I'm not sure it would help. Thanks for the tip though, if I find the time to go through my literally 4000 messages, I'll try to organize them Cheesy (currently I'm always able to find the message I'm looking for through the search.. you know.. once they've loaded Wink )

Since the forum itself is rather quick, I don't think it should be impossible to make the inbox load faster as well. It really does seem like it's parsing all 4000 entries at once, and makes me wait for it, since I can flip the pages quickly once it's done the initial load. (it's a developer brain damage - since I'm working on a different product, but I know the basics of what might drive this one, I'm instantly convinced I know exactly what's wrong with it Roll Eyes though make no mistake, it's a fairly educated conclusion, not just random yelling)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"That's my lab table and this is my work-stool. And over there is my intergalactic spaceship! And here's where I keep assorted lengths of wire."
TheSapphireMoon

It's like a vacation for the mind, to leave the body behind...

Rockin' the baubles all around town...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012 09:12:55 AM »

Oh wow!  LOL!  That's a lot of messages Cheesy  Sorry I couldn't be of more help, hopefully someone else will be along to comment.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~ ♥ Zoe ♥ ~

In need of rainbow fabrics for a Teesha Moore tote, PM me to swap!

ETSY
http://thesapphiremoon.etsy.com
PINTEREST
http://www.pinterest.com/thesapphiremoon

Shop The Swap 62
50 Projects 2012
ThreadOrYarn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012 11:13:57 AM »

No, I haven't tried that, and since almost all of my PMs would go into the "swaps" label anyway, I'm not sure it would help.

what I do is have labels for each active swap I'm in and once the swap is done (packages sent & received, feedback, etc) change the label to "swaps-done" I have a lot in the swaps-done label, but not so much in the active-swap labels, but since I don't usually have to go back into the swaps-done PMs, it doesn't matter so much that it's slower to go through.

(I also have a label for swap addresses so I don't have to search through all the active swap PMs to find the addresses.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Rock Fish in Cilantro Sauce Recipe
How to Make Chili Cinnamon Salmon with Mango Salsa Part 2/2
How to Make Smoked Salmon Hash Part 2/2
How to Make Smoked Salmon Hash Part 1/2
How to Make Salmon Breakfast Bruschetta
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...