A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 298,076
Currently Running With Scissors:
784 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Staying warm at the Ren Fair!  (Read 906 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

DustyChica

The Doctor's Companion

View Profile
« on: January 17, 2012 01:10:30 PM »

President's Day weekend (Feb. 18th!) is opening weekend for our Ren Fair here in AZ, and the first time I've been able to go in several years. I'm pretty excited. Anyway, while digging through my closet and stalking thrift stores to make a fairy costume, I have run into the issue of how to keep warm. So far my costume consists of a long-sleeved t-shirt, a pillow case (to be converted into a peasant-ish top), leggings, and something that vaguely resembles a skirt, to be made like one of those no-sew tutus. But I don't think that's going to be nearly warm enough, especially my lower half.

Also, I am severely lacking in sewing skills. I don't own a machine, and my hand-sewing is mediocre at best. I don't know if I could actually make a decent cloak. So . . . HELP, please?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect. But actually, from a non-linear, non-subjective point of view, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey . . . stuff."
- The Doctor
[/color]
Ludi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

May the Ghost Squid be with you.

Team Wordy!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012 03:31:15 PM »

Personally I think you should go with a long skirt, possibly with extra petticoats/underskirts.  Sort of no sense in making a skimpy outfit if you have to keep covered in a cloak anyway.  :p

The main problem with cloaks isn't the difficulty of the sewing, but the expense of the fabric.

There are many free cloak patterns online.  Here's one:  http://www.alleycatscratch.com/lotr/Things/FCloak/FCloak_pattern.htm

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Proud member of SEEN: the Society of Ernestly Embroidering Nerds
Yizzimindi
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012 09:22:08 AM »

I would suggest a coat or dress that is fitted at the waist with a full skirt and fur trim.

http://whipmaster2007.deviantart.com/art/snow-fairy-13-156210758?q=boost%3Apopular%20in%3Aphotography%20snow%20fairy&qo=105

http://www.moontoegallery.com/images/Snow_Fairy.jpg

Get yourself some woollen or thick cotton over the knee socks or tights, cheap polyester ones that are see through are not going to keep you warm.

If you decide to make a coat or dress use a thick fabric like stiff velvet or wool. You could also try making a hooded cape to match the items you already have.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Molded Candle
How to Arrange Flowers in a Wide Shallow Vase
How to Make a Votive Candle
How to Hold a Guitar Pick
How to Turn a Used Vinyl Record Into a Bowl
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...