A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
October 5th News Announcement:  New Featured Projects posted!  Congratulate these artists for being selected!
Total Members: 308,416
Currently Running With Scissors:
345 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Auntie Tootie's chemo quilt  (Read 1664 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« on: January 15, 2012 07:53:22 PM »

I made this throw sized-quilt for my "Auntie Tootie."

She was recently diagnosed with ovarian cancer. This has shaken our family to the core... I could go on, and on, and on about how much she means to us. We are saying our prayers every day that she comes through this okay.

In my manic "need to make a chemo care package!!!" state, I declared that I needed to make her a quilt. I know it's not much. It was hastily put together, in hopes of trying to get it finished before she started her treatments. I didn't use a pattern, I didn't measure, I tore instead of cut much of the pieces, and the hand-quilting is uneven at best. But I love it. It's my favorite quilt so far. I mostly make baby-sized quilts for friends. This is the largest one I've completed, and it's gorgeous, if I do say so myself. I give 90% of the credit to Anna Maria Horner for designing such beautiful prints. The entire quilt is from her Loulouthi, Innocent Crush, and Little Folks collections. The front is quilting cotton, and the back is voile.

Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012 11:12:25 PM »

Beautiful. It will be a great comfort to your aunt.  Love and prayers for a good outcome.
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Oy Vey!

He says I color his world

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012 04:40:00 AM »

This quilt is beautiful, and these handmade items are wonderful when you are doing chemo. It comforts you and reminds you you're loved. Smiley

Proud Army Mom, Hoaah!!!
Help Fight Breast Cancer

will work for yarn

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012 04:58:47 AM »

my thoughts are with you and your family, and that quilt is lovely.
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012 07:29:24 AM »

I love the prints you chose.  They look both modern and vintage at the same time. 
There is nothing better than curling up in a made-with-love quilt when you're not feeling great. 

Your story about making the quilt speaks volumes.  It sounds like you captured the very raw feeling of finding out about your Aunt's cancer by ripping the pieces and hand stitching.  Thanks for sharing and best of luck to your whole family.

I'm pro-accordion, and I vote!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Mermaid Tail Blanket
October 19, 2016 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Vanilla Extract

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...