A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 302,565
Currently Running With Scissors:
578 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tudor kirtle  (Read 1576 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

blue_lalita
« on: January 15, 2012 03:01:29 PM »

Last year I decided that I wanted to make an outfit for the renaissance faire.  I also decided that I wanted to make it look moderately historically accurate, with no visible machine stitching.  That was stupidly ambitious, and I found myself feverishly making handbound eyelets in the weeks before the event.  Everything was done except for the hem when I found out a few days beforehand that I would be having surgery instead of going to the faire.  So it sat untouched until I pulled it out and finished hemming it this weekend... I realized I won't be wearing it this year because I'm going to be 8 months pregnant when faire rolls around, and I wanted to get a picture of it before it didn't fit.  Maybe someday I'll get to wear it...

I made a shift, apron and coif out of linen.  The sleeves on the shift are a little short, but I would probably wear them rolled up in the summer.  I need to remake the coif, because I screwed up on the construction and there's exposed edges on the inside.  The kirtle is made of lightweight wool, and laces on the sides with spiral lacing.  I put the lacing on the sides so I could some day wear a front-lacing gown over the top if I so desired, and I figured that the size would be more adjustable that way. The boning is heavy duty zip ties.

I decided to add historically inaccurate pockets because I hate trying to figure out how to carry my things, but I wish I hadn't because it makes the sides of the skirt pull funny, as you can kind of see in this picture.

I used the Book "The Tudor Tailor" (http://www.amazon.com/Tudor-Tailor-Reconstructing-Sixteenth-Century-Dress/dp/0896762556/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1326668139&sr=8-1) for reference, but ended up modifying a commercial pattern for the bodice because my measurements were WAY different than what was used in the book, and I lost my mostly finished scaled up pattern when we moved  Sad

Overall I'm fairly happy with it, though it has some problems - I think the shoulder straps are a little wide, and the front of the skirt is too tight because I thought I could get away without doing any pleats in the front.  The cartridge pleats in the back are pretty cool, but I was trying to avoid a puffy stomach look.  I don't sew clothes very often, so this was a really ambitious project for me.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
dstucki
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012 04:26:02 PM »

This is very pretty!

Next time, you can add a set of pockets on a ribbon that ties around your waist under the dress--you can reach them through a slit in the side of your dress. After all, a girl needs pockets!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ScrappySue
Tutorial Contributor

Oh, not you. We named the monkey Jack.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012 05:04:36 PM »

wow, that is one awesome outfit!
I do hope you get to wear it to an event, maybe theres something else on before the fair?
The colour is just lovely on you and your spiral lacing looks so perfect.
Thanks for sharing your lovely pics!
S
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've started a wist!
http://wists.com/scrappysue
working on the Teesha Moore craftalong
Destashing the craft room
blue_lalita
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2012 08:45:35 PM »

Next time, you can add a set of pockets on a ribbon that ties around your waist under the dress--you can reach them through a slit in the side of your dress.

You just blew my mind.

The colour is just lovely on you and your spiral lacing looks so perfect.

Thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sewingartist

Historical costumer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2012 08:06:31 PM »

Very nice. Its simple but it looks very well made which is the most important thing. I like that you thought to make a more historically accurate garb than the typical wench wear that you generally see. Kudos to you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When historical costuming and art collide
My costuming/art blog- http://e-snider.blogspot.com/
HenriTheOctopus
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012 11:04:06 AM »

Gorgeous! I never have the patience for hand-sewn eyelets, but I'm going to have to suck it up on my next project.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking to trade for an octopus stamp for letterboxing
jloveg
Tutorial Contributor

GOD LOVES YOU AND SO DO I!!!

need me email me! jat42171@yahoo.com

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2012 09:42:33 PM »

wonderfully made!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

looking for instant coffee from australia or russia made with mustard and champagne.  VIOLET CRUMBLES and VEGEMITE would be welcome swap items!!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Relentless Revolution: Joyce Appleby on the History of Capitalism
Process of Painting a Wolf
How to Paint a Straight Line
Inspiration of a Printmaking Artist
Turning a Painting Passion into a Fashion Career
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...