A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,712
Currently Running With Scissors:
426 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Legend of Zelda Blanket and Yoshi Egg Blanket  (Read 3646 times)
Tags for this thread: yoshi , legend_of_zelda , link , afghan , granny_square , blanket , video_game  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

zkatom
« on: January 15, 2012 01:23:43 PM »

At the beginning of last year, I decided to make a wonderful swap partner of mine, Gspinn, a Yoshi egg granny square blanket and my husband a blanket based on his favorite video game for Christmas.  It took much conniving (and the help of a good friend) to figure out exactly what my husband's favorite video game is - Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past.  With my friend's help, I found some sprites online and went to work. 

I used the Yoshi blanket as a cover for all of the green, white, and black squares in the Zelda blanket!  I did the other color squares secretly and it worked!  He never guessed!  I managed to have it all pieced together and the edging stitched in time for Christmas, but just finished up weaving the ends this.  I finished the Yoshi blanket on time though!  Smiley  Anyway, here are the pictures -

On the floor in our living room.  (The weird corner is because I had to photoshop it as a projection in order to get a view straight from the front.)

It is about 8 feet tall and very snuggly!  Smiley  It has almost 300 squares in it, if I remember correctly. 

The Yoshi blanket covers a full sized bed.  I actually did not mean to make it quite so large, but realized it was going to be big much too late, lol.  The picture above is before I weaved in the ends. 

Gratuitous cat photo.  Smiley  Our cats approved of both blankets, which made it rather hard to work on them at times..... 

A close-up of one of the squares.  I used Caron One Pound yarn, which was nice to work with and had a decent selection of colors.  I hope you like them as much as I do!  They did take a fair bit of time, though I think I'm hooked on making blankets now.  The pay off when you finish is just so great!

C&C welcome!!!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012 01:25:27 PM by zkatom » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Antidigger
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012 02:03:48 PM »

A brilliant subterfuge. Well done for getting all that work in as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look twice, buy once. Nooooo
Look twice, decide I can make one instead.
Gspinn

Crafting a girl's best friend

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012 05:05:16 PM »

I love the yoshi egg blanket that you made for me it is super warm! The Zelda blanket is genius!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pandamayhem
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2012 07:11:19 PM »

These are too great! I love how more pixel blankets are being posted, they all give me so much more inspiration and motivation!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my Etsy shop: A Strawberry Inside Cheesy
NataLekku
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012 10:08:17 AM »

What method did you use for joining the squares? I'm getting ready to join the squares on my pixel art blanket and wondering what is best to use to not have it show.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
zkatom
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012 03:01:13 PM »

I slip stitched mine together using the back loops only and black yarn, so on the back it is a big grid of black lines.  Does that make sense?  I can post a photo of the back sometime if it would help. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
DefiantDoilies

crochet obsessed, hospice social worker

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012 04:20:34 PM »

Yay! All these pixel blankets are making me SO happy. I've just started mine, but its a HUGE undertaking. 4,090 1 inch squares all together. Yes, I know I'm crazy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

To the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure. - J.K. Rowling
anniemail
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2012 11:08:26 AM »

I'm very excited to see that you included the iconic pink-haired Link from Link to the Past.  Most people "correct" the hair.

Awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ruby Copperhead
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2012 07:04:02 AM »

They're both so pretty! I also love the huge size!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Stallosaur
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2012 07:56:14 AM »

L'epic.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create a Faux Bob
Mark Hill Shows You How to Wake Up With Amazing Hair
Beauty Quickie: A Quick Fix for Limp Locks
Beauty Quickie: How to Get Frizz Free Hair in 10 Seconds
How to Give Your Bun a Fresh New Twist
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...