A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 296,392
Currently Running With Scissors:
929 Guests and 45 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Quilt binding  (Read 959 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MissMouse
« on: January 15, 2012 09:44:25 AM »

Is a quilt still *technically* a quilt without a binding?
I usually hand sew all my binding and I HATE it.

I really enjoy crazy quilting but find that a binding takes away from the crazy quilting. So I was considering making a quilt with no binding, just right sides sewn together and some top stitching around the edges afterwards.

Would this still be considered a quilt? And would I be able to put it through standards at  a craft council without bound edges?

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

anaximander
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012 07:41:28 AM »

Well, in my opinion, it's still a quilt. I don't know about the "standards at a craft council" part, though - I think it depends on their requirements.

That being said, you don't have to hand sew binding (in fact, since I got a SID attachment for my walking foot, I never do.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Eowynt

Not all who wander are lost

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012 09:04:25 AM »

A binding or no binding doesn't define a quilt. I have been making my quilted placemats without binding lately, as I now have arthritis in my thumbs, and hand sewing hurts - I still do it, but I am being more selective now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

One is less than three.
Eamea
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012 02:18:12 PM »

Well, in my opinion, it's still a quilt. I don't know about the "standards at a craft council" part, though - I think it depends on their requirements.
Same here.  If you are wanting to enter your work into juried events I would contact them to be sure. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There's one in every family, and I'm an only child.
katje

trancending the tempest

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012 03:01:19 PM »

On YouTube, I saw a video done (I think by Missouri Quilt Co) where she showed how to completely machine-stitch a quilt with zero hand-stitching. I might check or try something like that out, instead!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cmoore
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012 06:39:45 PM »

I hate binding and I don't hand bind. I have two techniques I use for binding, which are the least of all evils to me.

Anyway a quilt is usually defined by the fact that it is layered fabric held together with stitches, so an outer binding isn't required to make it a quilt.  I don't like the look of faced quilts myself, but they are definitely an option that has been around for a while. Works that are faced are very popular in the art quilt world, and a variety of other finishes are seen there.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012 06:43:37 PM by cmoore » THIS ROCKS   Logged
danynn
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2012 09:10:08 AM »

I hate hand binding - it's my least favourite part of quilting. By the time I get to binding I just want the damn thing done with.

So I do what I call "lazy woman's binding". I have two techniques for this. One is I cut the border pieces for the top wider than I want them, double fold them over the edge of the quilt, and machine stitch them to the back. This works just fine.

In those cases when for whatever reason I can't/don't want to use the borders (usually because I want a different colour as the binding), I do something very similar. I prepare the binding pieces as per usual, then machine stitch the binding as per usual - except to the BACK of the quilt, not the front. Then I fold the binding over the edges and machine stitch the other side.

It's not how traditionalists would do it, but I'm not making my quilts to be judged and it's WAY faster than hand binding.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Stifflersmom
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Sassy Britches

We are the people our parents warned us about....

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2012 04:49:03 PM »

I agree with the opinions above. I would like to advocate hand-sewn binding. I hated it at first, but now I just take it to the living room and watch tellie while I do it. It isn't as horrible as it used to be.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

As you sew, so shall you rip. Don't fear the ripper.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Choose a Filet Crochet Pattern
How to Buy Crochet Supplies
How to Add Crochet Embellishments to Clothing
How to Convert a Crochet Pattern Into a Knitting Pattern
Single Crochet Stitches
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...