A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,162
Currently Running With Scissors:
599 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: A Scarf and A Blasted Ladder Stitch  (Read 1767 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

FibroSub
« on: January 14, 2012 11:05:22 PM »

I am making, or at least attempting to make, this scarf http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/80902AD.html?noImages= pattern is such:
GAUGE:

16 hdc = 4 in. (10 cm). BE SURE TO CHECK YOUR GAUGE. When you match the gauge in a pattern, your project will be the size specified in the pattern and the materials specified in the pattern will be sufficient. If it takes you fewer stitches and rows to make a 4 in. [10 cm] square, try using a smaller size hook or needles; if more stitches and rows, try a larger size hook or needles.

STITCH EXPLANATION:

PATTERN STITCHES
    Seed Stitch
    Row 1: Ch 1, turn.
    Sc in first 2 sts, *ch 1, sk next st, sc in next st; rep from * across to last 2 sts, sc in last 2 sts.
    Rep Row 1 for Seed Stitch.

Ladder Stitch
    Sc in first 2 sts, *ch 2, sk next 2 sts, sc in next 2 sts; rep from * across to last 2 sts, sc in last 2 sts.
    Rep Row 1 for Ladder Stitch.

Grit Stitch
    Sc in first 2 sts, *hdc in next st, sl st in next st; rep from * across to last 2 sts, sc in last 2 sts.
    Rep Row 1 for Grit Stitch.

Lacy Grit Stitch
    Sc in first 2 sts, *ch 1, sk next st, sl st in next st, ch 1, sk next st, hdc in next st; rep from * across to last 2 sc, sc in last 2 sc.
    Row 2: Ch 1, turn.
    Sc in first 2 sc, *sl st in next hdc, ch 1, sk next ch-1 sp, hdc in next sl st, ch 1, sk next ch-1 sp, rep from *across to last 2 sc, sc in last 2 sc.
    Rep Rows 1 and 2 for Lacy Grit Stitch.

SCARF
Ch 34.
Row 1: Hdc in 3rd ch from hook and in each ch across - 32 sts.
Rows 2-3: Ch 2, turn.
Hdc in each st across.
Rows 4-22: Work in Seed Stitch for 19 rows.
Rows 23-25 (Dividing Rows): Ch 2, turn.
Hdc in each st across.
Rows 26-44: Work in Ladder Stitch for 19 rows.
Rows 45-47: Rep Rows 23-25.
Rows 48-62: Work in Grit Stitch for 15 rows.
Rows 63-65: Rep Rows 23-25.
Rows 66-84: Work in Lacy Grit Stitch for 19 rows.
Rows 84-86: Rep Rows 23-25.
Rep Rows 4-86 three more times.
Fasten off.

FINISHING
Weave in ends.
I am having trouble with this darn ladder stitch. Now I believe there are supposed to be 5 gaps between the clusters of SC. IF that is correct, for I'm not sure, I've never done a sk st, no less after a ch which is confusing, I then have trouble with the next row, because for some reason after that I am unable to get only 5 gaps. I always get more and it gets all funky and cranky. And so do I (at least the latter  Wink ) Any thoughts on where this is going so terribly wrong? I've been wanting to make this for my husband as a gift for quite sometime :/
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Eamea
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012 11:37:24 AM »

Hopefully this will help you be less cranky.  Wink  In the pictures, the HDC row is done in cream and the ladder stitch rows are done in purple.

Here is your HDC row and your first row of the ladder stitch.  On each end of the scarf there are two single crochets, and there are eight spaces.  I'm not sure how you got to five spaces, but I think it's in the sk st.  That stands for "skip stitch" and you don't actually make a new stitch.  After you work two singles into the previous row you are chaining two.  They make up for the length of the stitches you are skipping so your work will keep an even number of stitches in each row.  You've now worked two singles and chained two, so when you insert your needle into the previous row to do the next two singles your hook goes into the third available stitch in the previous row.  When you work this across the whole row you should be able to end with two single crochets right on pattern.

The second row works right on top of the first, and the stitches should line up.  Your singles should be over your singles and your chain two spaces will be over the previous row's spaces.  I  pinned this with some tension so you could see what's going on, but in real life the top row will lay down and not arch above the previous row.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

There's one in every family, and I'm an only child.
Alexus1325
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012 02:54:18 AM »

Best photo-explanation EVAR! If Craftster gave out gold stars, Eamea should get one Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Eamea
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012 04:19:19 PM »

Aw, shucks... Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

FibroSub
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012 06:01:50 PM »

@Eamea :glomps: If I had flowers I would give them to you. Smiley You just saved my day, my mood, and the concept of my husband having a scarf made by his wife Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Eamea
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012 08:06:20 PM »

Glad to help!  Besides, I hates me a man with a cold neck.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

FibroSub
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012 04:08:19 PM »

Me too, and mine seems destined to have one Sad I'm only getting 7 gaps and have one extra base HDC left. I no understand  Cry
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Eamea
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2012 09:58:05 AM »

Oh no!  Can you post a picture of what you have? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

FibroSub
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2012 12:59:38 PM »

A bit Image heavy, but I figured this might help portray, well, the whole picture XD Sorry for the image quality, my phones camera is of the suckage :/

okay, here's before:

and here's after:

the beginning:

the end:
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012 01:02:19 PM by FibroSub » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Eamea
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2012 12:39:47 PM »

I had to make this picture huge on my monitor, but I think I found the problem.  If you can't make it big enough to see PM me and I'll e-mail you the Photoshop picture.  OK, the blue "1" is where you end up when you finish the previous row.  From there you are supposed to ch 1 and turn to start the next row.  The next row starts in the last stitch of the previous row - the ch 1 does not count as a stitch.  It's just there so the next row you make won't be pulled down.  It covers the distance between the previous and current row.  The first SC of the ladder stitch row will go in the last stitch of the dividing row (marked in orange).  I think you are putting it into the second to the last stitch of the dividing row, and that's why you aren't ending the ladder stitch row on pattern.

I did the same thing when I was making the sample for the pictures.  Grin  Patterns often call for chain stitches to be done at the beginning of a row to count as the first stitch in the row, but in this case the chain 1 is just so that you can get to the starting height of the next row.  I think if you'll do the first SC in the stitch just to the right of where you have been going in it will work out.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Rick Springfield Talks About Late, Late at Night Part 2
Blood Ties Book Trailer
David Grann Reveals His Previous Occupation
Kathy Charles Talks About John Belushi Is Dead
Lynda LaPlante Talks About Silent Scream
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...