A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 296,754
Currently Running With Scissors:
685 Guests and 36 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tips for dying yarn with RIT liquid dye?  (Read 2007 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

haroldlovesmaude
Yossarian Lives!

I see the fire, I see the end.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: January 14, 2012 09:25:01 PM »

I was looking for a specific color of yarn, but I couldn't find it anywhere, not even in the one yarn store left in town. They did have a plain, natural, undyed yarn that they said was good for dyeing, so I bought that and RIT liquid dye because they didn't have the color I needed in the regular (powder?) dye. The woman at the yarn store said to just follow the directions on the label of the dye. Do you guys have any tips? Do I need to "set" the color by heating it? I have only previously dyed yarn with Kool Aid and I know when I did that, we had to wrap the yarn in plastic wrap and microwave it to set the color. The RIT dye doesn't say anything about that.

The yarn is Socrates. I also have Dylon powder dye.

Any tips or links would be helpful. Thanks!
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012 11:31:36 PM by haroldlovesmaude » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"They had not brains enough to be introverted and repressed." -Catch-22
etsy shop & faves
AlpacaNanny
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012 06:35:36 AM »

I have used Ritt to dye alpaca and alpaca blend yarns and have found that  Ritt  leaves alot to be desired for this purpose.  I weighed the yarn and the dye, but found that the dyebath did not exhaust and I had to rinse, rinse, rinse....  Also, it left the yarn feeling more coarse.

What color do you want?  What other types of dyes do you have on hand?  What is the content of the yarn?  I would suggest starting with a minimal amount of dye.  You can always overdye to get a darker color.

I have done two methods with Ritt. immersion and wrapping in plastic and steaming with the same results (too much rinsing   required). 

If the yarn is natural fibers, I would recommend an acid dye.  I love Jacquard dyes and also like Cushing.  I have had mixed success with Country Classic, depending on the color.

Good Luck!!!
Louise
THIS ROCKS   Logged
haroldlovesmaude
Yossarian Lives!

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012 07:06:30 AM »

I have heard that RIT isn't the best, but I don't know if I've ever seen someone who has used the liquid dye. I also bought some Dyson, but I'm pretty limited by what I can find here. I'm trying to achieve a royal blue color.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

etsy shop & faves
haroldlovesmaude
Yossarian Lives!

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2012 05:26:34 PM »

For future reference, the Dyson dye did not work at all. The "Ocean Blue" powder was more of a royal purple, no matter how much I diluted it. I followed the package's directions.

However, the liquid RIT dye was awesome. I used a capful of dye per quart of hot water and achieved my desired color (pretty close to the color on the bottle actually) without much work. I put the yarn in a trough (an outside elongated planter) lined with plastic and used a squirt bottle to apply the dye. I wrapped it in plastic wrap and microwaved it for one minute, flipped it over, then microwaved again for a minute and a half. I let it sit for quite a while and rinsed it. It's now drying, but at the moment it's the color I wanted (or could use).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

etsy shop & faves
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Meet Author Lisa Genova
Tiki Barber Talks About Kickoff
Jessie Sholl Talks About Dirty Secret
Meet Author Audrey Niffenegger
David Woods Talks About Underdawgs
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quick and Easy Organizer
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...