A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 297,724
Currently Running With Scissors:
430 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Simple Pet Bed (link to tutorial)  (Read 11058 times)
Tags for this thread: pet_bed , tutorial_link  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

NicoleMarie
« on: January 14, 2012 02:48:06 AM »

We recently adopted a pair of Guinea Pigs and they absolutely love their cozy beds, however they get dirty pretty quickly, so I wanted to have some extra on hand to swap out when washing.  I whipped these beds up in no time (about 15-20 minutes each) and created a tutorial.

All you need is some scrap fabric, some soft fleece or minky for the inside and some hi-loft batting.

The bed is totally customizable, so you can make it any size you wish.  I've included the instructions on how to figure out measurements in the tute. 
Thanks for looking!

LINK TO TUTORIAL: http://sewplicity.blogspot.com/2012/01/tutorial-simple-pet-bed.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

avocadoeldorado
Almost done, it just needs a...*&$%!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012 05:38:12 AM »

These are super cute.  The only thing my guinea pig was willing to sleep in was a mound of hay.  I tried her with several beds/boxes/covers and she ignored them all.  Maybe if I'd tried yours things would have been different Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Painted Sparrow

The Beautiful Ugly

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2012 06:33:14 AM »

First, yay piggies! I love to see people taking in piggies, especially by adopting them! Cheesy I recently expanded my boys' cage & have been meaning to make some more beds/toys for them, I should give this a shot & see how they like it. They don't have any proper beds right now, but I use fleece bedding that they really love, so hopefully they would like something like this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Teller of Stories, Creator of Worlds, One of the Imagining Ones.
MRDes on FB
pinkbunnys18
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2012 07:02:48 AM »

Cute, say you wouldn't happen to have a hanging one for ferrets do you?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Chrys
HolaKitty

The nectar of life

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012 11:54:11 AM »

Thanks so much for sharing. I'm definitely going to give this a go tomorrow!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm thinking about getting metal legs. It's a risky operation, but it'll be worth it.

Blog: http://kaylascraftstall.blogspot.com/
Etsy: http://www.etsy.com/shop/KaylasCraftStall
Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/kaylatab/
NicoleMarie
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2012 12:02:29 PM »

First, yay piggies! I love to see people taking in piggies, especially by adopting them! Cheesy I recently expanded my boys' cage & have been meaning to make some more beds/toys for them, I should give this a shot & see how they like it. They don't have any proper beds right now, but I use fleece bedding that they really love, so hopefully they would like something like this.

I'm using fleece too....I purchased some reusable bed padding, cut it to the size of the cage bottom and topped it with fleece (serging everything together).  Super quick, super absorbent and super easy to change out.  I made another one with sides that go up and over the coroplast, but found that I don't really need it.  I also made a bunch of little pads the same way that I put under their beds, the food dish and the corners of the cage which allows me to get through the week without having to change out the large pad.  It's working great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

NicoleMarie
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2012 12:03:42 PM »

Cute, say you wouldn't happen to have a hanging one for ferrets do you?

Sorry....I don't, but I'm sure it wouldn't be too difficult....I'm thinking if you add a few grommets to some padded,layered fabric you'll be good to go with clips!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

elliot_anne
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2012 03:40:09 PM »

Awesome! I actually volunteer with a guinea pig rescue in So. Cal. so it makes me super happy to see rescue pigs! I recently bought some cuddle cups for mine (my sewing machine hates me), and they LOVE them. I just wish I had more so I could swap them out and wash them more frequently... Maybe I should fight with my sewing machine and see who wins...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Painted Sparrow

The Beautiful Ugly

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2012 07:19:17 AM »

I'm using fleece too....I purchased some reusable bed padding, cut it to the size of the cage bottom and topped it with fleece (serging everything together).  Super quick, super absorbent and super easy to change out.  I made another one with sides that go up and over the coroplast, but found that I don't really need it.  I also made a bunch of little pads the same way that I put under their beds, the food dish and the corners of the cage which allows me to get through the week without having to change out the large pad.  It's working great!

Good to hear! I'm a huge advocate of fleece bedding. Smiley I might have to try doing sewn layers...when I adopted them I was in school & didn't have my own sewing machine so I've been using old bath/beach towels under the fleece. Sewing them together would be better especially since I recently expanded their cage & it's almost twice the size. Hm, I'm really glad you mentioned that because it's got me thinking now how I could sew together what I have for ease of changing while keeping the flexibility to use different combinations of fleece in the two sections, hmm....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Teller of Stories, Creator of Worlds, One of the Imagining Ones.
MRDes on FB
Aislynn
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator
Sewing in General Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2012 02:44:04 PM »

So cute!  One question, though, is there ever any chewing?  Do you have any concerns about them eating the batting if they do?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create a Layer Mask in Photoshop CS3
How to Create a Metal Button in Photoshop CS3
How to Create a Neon Glow in Illustrator CS3
How to Create a New Blank Document in Illustrator CS3
How to Create a New Blank Document in InDesign CS3
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...