A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 302,363
Currently Running With Scissors:
467 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: resized, cutified  (Read 34439 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

pixelpusher
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2004 07:16:29 PM »

Well I went ahead and tried it and somehow the front cut slightly bigger on one side than the other and the fabric seems to bunch up as its sewn alot.
Gonna fix it, but maybe some other night.  Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DragonsMuse
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2004 03:14:07 PM »

That very cute. The sleeves look like cap sleeves. I assume that's just from it being such a big shirt in the first place right?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I believe in everything until it's disproved. So I believe in fairies, the myths, dragons. It all exists, even if it's in your mind. Who's to say that dreams and nightmares aren't as real as the here and now. -John Lennon
Wists
pretty

kittens with mittens

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2004 12:45:11 PM »

great job! tutorial please!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
WildHoney
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2004 08:08:16 PM »

Love it, love it, love it! I have the perfect shirt for this job that my mom brought me back from a vacation. The neck was always too tight, so I think I'll cut it and the sleeves off! Thanks for the photos!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
letsread

i'm the jealous type

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2004 08:46:11 PM »

so i posted this at least 3 months ago but i just came back to craftster after a forced internet hiatus and am back to post a text-only tutorial for making big ugly t-shirts cute.  (i have a new comptuer without any simple drawing software i can find and i figured pictures would be a bit redundant anyway.  if you have questions about it you can e-mail me at etothev@REMOVESPAMBLOCKERonomatopoetic.org)

1. start with a t-shirt that is both too wide and too long (i.e. just too big)
2. figure out how small you want the shirt.  if it's a standard 100% cotton shirt it probably doesn't have a lot of give to it and you should remember that the smaller you make it the harder it is to pull it over your head.  this shirt worked really well because it's a very drapey cotton/polly blend but it should work relatively well with those oversized band t-shirts that are filling your drawer.

some people say to pin the shirt to yourself so you know the size to make it, but i just eyeball it.  for this shirt i took in about an inch and a half on each side.  i just turned the shirt inside out, laid it flat, and then sewed a straight line from the bottom hem to the arm opening.  if you sew a straight line about an inch and a half the whole way up the shirt you'll run straight into the arm hole.  backstick there to keep the seam from unraveling and you're all done with one side.  just cut off the sleeve on the other side of the original armhole seam (you could fold over and sew a seam yourself to make it look nicer, but i didn't).  do the same thing to the other side and now the shirt should fit you.

3. to do the neck, just cut off the original neck band, fold over, pin, and stich around.  i used a zig-zag stitch so it was kind of decorative and i think it was easier to do than a straight stitch because it's harder to tell when you sew a crooked zig-zag stitch!  it seems like just cutting off the original neck band shouldn't make the neck that much bigger BUT IT DOES!

4. to do the waistband basically just figure out how long you want the shirt put the t-shirt on and just fold it under until it's the length you want.  then pull it back down about an inch longer than you want it (for seam allowance).  then just cut off the folded part of the shirt (mine was about 3 inches doubled over, so if i unfolded the shirt again it would be the bottom 6 inches of the shirt).  that turns into the waistband.  just leave that part folded with the wrong sides together, then pin that waistband to the outside of the shirt with the cut edges facing down and the right sides together.  sew around the bottom of the shirt (i did a zig-zag stitch to tame 3 layers i was sewing and then i sewed a straight stitch at the inside edge of the zig-zag stitch).  then you can just fold the waistband down and you're all set!

hope that helps!  the original pictures help with the tutorial i think, so check those out and ask me if anything still seems really confusing.

thanks for all the nice comments!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"you're ms. thinks-she's-pretty"
-one of my 3rd graders
.jane.
<3

live laugh love learn

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2005 05:06:39 PM »

i realy want to see the pictures but they arent working!
im sure it looks realy cute though!
<3
THIS ROCKS   Logged
letsread

i'm the jealous type

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2005 05:15:41 PM »

oh yeah, they were hosted on my old website, which i didn't renew this year so they're gone.  i'll dig through my computer, but the photos might be totally lost... that was over a year ago and i had a different computer then, too.  sorry! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"you're ms. thinks-she's-pretty"
-one of my 3rd graders
one_daddio

Breakin' the law every chance I get

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2005 11:04:12 AM »

Do you still have the shirt? Can you take new pictures? All of the raving has really got me interested.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kezzza888
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2009 03:06:50 PM »

really want to resize a huge t shirt i have, your post looks useful but the pictures are not showing up???
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Design a Face in Shadow
How to Handle a Calligraphy Pen
How to Draw Feet
How to Draw Legs
How to Illustrate Anime in Two Minutes
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fabric Boxes
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...