A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,557
Currently Running With Scissors:
622 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Muppet Style Puppet Tutorial  (Read 25317 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

grammardog
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2012 10:23:17 PM »

Awesome job!  Thank you for posting... I will be bookmarking this for the future!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bedalton
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2012 08:44:47 AM »

Fantastic! Great work. There really isn't enough puppet building tutorials on the web! I would know, I searched high and low. I'm finishing up my first puppet.  Grin

I can't wait to see what yours looks like. How far along are you?

Update: I started the body yesterday, but it turned out I did my measurements wrong, and the body was far too small. I should have checked it before doing all the hand stitching. I think I'm going to modify it for machine stitching. I did a test, and I was able to hide the stitch well. I think it may have hidden better than my hand stitching. I'll have to see how it looks on the body.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012 08:46:47 AM by bedalton » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Green Elevator

Green Elevator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2012 03:12:47 PM »

thank you thank you thank you for posting this! amazing job Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Microfibermilitia
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2012 09:19:52 AM »

Awesome job. I've assembled a couple using patterns I've cobbled together online (it's really hard to find them for free!). You use all the same methods I did as well. I may have to go back to my Derek puppet and make version 3.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bedalton
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2012 11:02:11 AM »

@Microfibermilitia: Three's a charm as they say. This is the 3rd version of the head pattern I made. Do you have pictures of Derek 1 and 2?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Microfibermilitia
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2012 02:17:00 PM »

Derek 1.0 with thrift store fleece and hot glue instead of sewing (foam everything though)

Not the best pic of him but

Version 2.1. Done with high end fleece, the special puppet stitch, etc. I redid the head once. I can't get the shape right. The first head was better overall shape but some imperfections in the mouth area (mostly inside where I put in a foam strap to hold my hand closer to the mouth plate). This head is better up front but the profile and overall look has a lot to be desired. Hence the interest in your head pattern.

2.1 got roughed up since the main places I brought him to was a gay bar in Chicago and one guy decided to try to break my hand while it was inside the puppet. Yeah. He also has his own Facebook page and has had long discussions with people on a city bus. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kookycrafts
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2012 04:50:28 AM »

Shocked Wow this is amazing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Love Kooky Crafts
xx
Microfibermilitia
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2012 07:23:25 AM »

Regarding the body, since my guy was shirtless, I did the Henson stitch along the sides (fluffing up the fleece really does make a difference... Also, I think I used the same you tube video tutorial for that!)

I DID do machine stitching for the arms it went back to fluff the fleece so it'd blend better.

SO excited to see the body!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
bedalton
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2012 03:24:12 PM »

Derek is awesome! I'd be afraid of recreating a puppet. I feel like there would be some kind of jealousy or maybe evil twins syndrome. But then again, I talk to my puppets, and give them way more personality than is probably healthy.

I'm glad to hear he's such an extrovert, engaging people on the bus. Me and my puppets keep to ourselves. I'm still trying to drudge up the courage to make a small video to share with my friends, but so far I've come up short.

You've also giving me some food for thought. I've just made a mental note to be on the look out for grabby men in a gay bar. A mental note I already had, but now it's been expanded to cover puppets and puppet hands.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Microfibermilitia
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2012 01:30:25 PM »

Re: courage w/ puppets,

I thought of it a bit like puppet therapy. Bringing a puppet to my friend's "Circus"-themed b-day party also helped. Also, going to fetish nights. I figured that all these guys are in various bondage and leather contraptions around me so me having a puppet on my hand is really on par.

It came from talking to my puppets as well. Derek is kinda my inner-gay boy coming out (so to speak). All my puppets had a lot more chutzpah than I did that I just embraced it.

Also had the line that went something like (coming out of Derek's mouth), "I'm strange? You're the one having a conversation with a puppet."

I also live in a big city.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Homemade Dinner Yeast Rolls
Microwave Peanut Brittle Recipe
Vanilla French Toast
How To Make Turkey Pot Pie
Salmon Cakes Recipe with Melissa d’Arabian
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...