A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 296,388
Currently Running With Scissors:
828 Guests and 36 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Muppet Style Puppet Tutorial  (Read 22730 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

bedalton
« on: January 13, 2012 06:57:53 PM »

I've decided to share the process and pattern I used when creating this puppet.

Let me begin by stating that I am not an expert. I have limited experience with puppet making, but thought others might like a place to start. I must also say, I've never written a tutorial, and do not know if this will be easy to follow, and/or accurate. I make no guarantee that this tutorial will work out for you. It's simply what I did. Follow at your own risk.

I've included the pattern I used for my second puppet Sandwich, Seen here. The pattern is for the basic head shape only. I free handed the nose, ears and hair. I drafted the pattern myself, and it is not guaranteed to be perfect. I created the pattern from a low polygon model, whose edges I tried to unify and smooth. The results were less than satisfactory, and the head, when put together, looks somewhat octagonal from the top. I covered the head with hair, so you can't tell.

This pattern is for personal use only. I just wanted to give a little back to the community.

Before we start I thought I would list the supplies needed for the head.

Supplies
1. The Pattern (Fixed: 05.12.2013)
2. 1/2 inch Foam - The Foam I buy is 24" wide, and for this pattern you need a little less than a yard.
3. A sheet of something hard and water resistant.
  a. A sheet of plastic
  b. I saw someone use corrugated plastec
  b. I use a piece of heavy cardboard that I had left over from a drawing pad. This of course is not water resistant, but it has worked well for me so far.
  c. Some people say you can use gasket rubber for a more flexible mouth, but I have never used it.

3. Cutting Utensil
  a.Rotary Cutters are best. I use a small rotary cutter I bought just for this purpose. You will not want to use your fabric ones, as the foam dulls the blades.
  b. Exacto knives and box cutters - These tend to rip the foam as you go. Use light strokes and make multiple passes if this is the route you want to go.
  c. Scissors - Scissors smash the foam and and cause the edges to be cut at weird angles. These angles will affect the shape of your puppet.
4. Pins

For Glueing
1. Contact Cement - I buy the red can of Weldwood Contact Cement. There is a less flammable version, but it takes over twice as long to dry.
2. Something to spread the glue out with. I use scrap pieces of foam. The glue is likely to ruin the brush, so choose wisely.
3. Something to deal with glue on hands
  a. Disposable gloves - recommended
  b. Tough skin if you plan to rub the glue off
  c. Naptha - This is what I use, but I must advise against it. It states clearly on the bottle to avoid contact with skin as it can cause irritation. A second reason is you do not want to rub your eyes or touch your food when you have naphtha on your hands. I use it as it works best for me and I haven't had a chance to buy more gloves. As per the label, I thoroughly wash my hands with soap and water. To prevent skin drying out, I also put lotion on.

For skinning the head.
5. Spray Adhesive
6. Some fleece for the inside of the mouth and the head.
7. Some fabric for the hair. I used a brown fur that my friend found for me at the Joanns nearby.
8. Needle and thread. Buy thread that matches your base skin fabric.

The Start
1. To start with, print, cut and assemble the pattern. I like to use card stock as it holds its shape better and doesn't get soggy when tracing.
3. Trace the main and mouth foam patterns twice each. Be sure to use the "Mouth Foam" pattern and not the "Mouth Fleece and Board" pattern. When tracing, use a light marker as these marks can sometimes shine through.  The main head pattern can be mirrored along one end. If you do, mark the center line. You will also want to flip the pattern each trace to help ensure the marked edges are placed inside.
2. Cut out the foam. At this point I like to make light lines on the edges that I need to make sure I do not glue.

Glueing the Main Head
1. After marking the edges, it's time to glue. Apply glue only to the sides, not the top or bottom.
This glue is messy, and really sticks to everything, including hands. If you choose to use gloves now is the time to put them on.
They say you do not need a lot of glue, and I find this to be true. I use just enough to slightly discolor the foam and make it shinier. Be sure you have an even coat over the sides. To help in glueing, I fold the edges together and then glue.

2. Waiting. You must wait for contact cement to dry before actually glueing the edges together. The can will give you the estimated drying time. Here it takes between ten and fifteen minutes.

3. After the glue is dried, it is time to glue the edges together. Place only a minimal amount of pressure here. This helps in case you make a mistake and need to try again.
I start at the ends and push them together lightly.

I then move to the middle of the seam and again push the edges lightly together.

The reason for spreading out the initial seal throughout the seam is to help make sure the edges line up. If you glue the seam from one end to the other, the ends might not line up. When glueing it is important to make sure that the foam matches up height wise. You do not want one side to stick up higher than the other. Keep the planes flush.
Also, Try to form the shape with the side you traced upon on the inside.

NOTE: You must ensure that you do not squish the sides, as they will compress wafer thin, and you will not be able to glue them together.

UPDATE:: Updated the way I do mouth boards.
I've changed the way I do mouth boards. The old way involved using board sandwiched between foam. The problem with this approach was that The mouth would not close completely at the lips. The new way I do it takes:
 - Gorilla tape
 - Foam
 - Board for mouth. I use corrugated plastic. Used for signs.
 - Glue
 - Stretchy fabric. (optional).

1. Cut out 1 piece of mouth board, using the mouth board pattern. Cut along width line. Mark halves as 1 or 2 (For board only cut slightly smaller than pattern, about a 16th of an inch.).
 2. Repeat step 1, 2 times out of foam.
 3. Place mouth board pieces back into original shape. (figure A)
 4. Tape back together using gorilla tape. (figure B)
 5. Turn mouth board over, and dangle over edge of table. (figure C)
 6. Apply tape, and bend board completely together, with this side on outside. Work tape against side. (figure D)
 7. Glue one set of foam onto new mouth board, indented tape (figure E) facing foam (figure F).
::ALERT:: Be sure that foam extends past edge of board. Stretch foam if necessary. This should be a slight amount, roughly a 16th of an inch.

I started lining the inside of my mouths, making a sort of sleeve. Without one, the hand goes into the entire head, and the hand is touching foam. I like the way this feels.
 Sleave:
   a. Cut out 2 arm segments, and the mouth liner, from any fabric that doesn't fray. I use a stretchy fabric, with the stretchy part going around the arm.
 b. Sew right sides together, with a 1/4" seam allowance. Trim closely to seam, do not turn inside out. Leave right sides together.
 c. Glue completed hand liner to foam. I glue only the outer 1/4" to keep it from making the fabric weird.(figure G).
 9. Apply glue to outer 1/4" of foam, and glue to top of mouth stack.

Figure H shows the new mouth. This mouth will close flush, and more easily than the old method.

Putting them Together
1. Apply 1/2 to 3/4 strip of glue inside the head around the mouth opening.

2. Mark the center points on the underside of the mouth piece, you will need this when assembling the head and mouth.
3. Apply glue along the side of the mouth board.
4, Wait for glue to dry.
5. This part is tricky. The mouth board is slightly larger than the mouth is meant for. This is to give the head a more interesting shape. Unfortunately, this makes things a bit more difficult for you. At this time bend the mouth only a minimal amount to get it into the head.
Align the corners of the mouth and press slightly. Now align the center marks on the mouth board with the seam line on the head. When the edges are properly lined up firmly press together to finish the seal.
*ALERT* it is very important that you get the mouth board perfectly in place. If you do not, the mouth will look off. I glued mine in slightly crooked and the dimple on one side of the mouth is noticeably larger than the one on the other.

Adding Ears and Nose
I did not provide a pattern for these parts as I did not use one. I simply created them as I went.
The ears and nose looked similar to this.

**THIS IS NOT AN ACTUAL PATTERN**

Fleecing
1. Trace and cut out the main pattern from the fleece of your choice, mirroring it along the straight edge.
2. Cut out the fleece for the inside of the mouth, using the Mouth Fleece and Board pattern.
Advisory: I do not recommend using felt as it tore as I was trying to sew it together.

3. Here you are going to follow the directions on your spray adhesive to glue the fabric to head fleece to the head. For the adhesive I have, I spray both sides, wait 15 seconds and then glue them together.
You're going to want to do this a little at a time. The head will be slightly larger than the fleece, so you must stretch the fleece as you go. Start in the front center and pull the fleece to the other seam lines. Continue to spray and stretch. If you do not stretch enough, the fleece will not fit. Do not completely glue down the edges of the fleece, as we will need to stitch them together.

To create the pattern for the ears, nose, hair and any other part not provided in the pattern, you have two options that I know of.
  A. Lay the fabric over the part to be covered and pinch and pin it into the correct shape. After pinning, mark and cut out the pattern. Here's a simple example on how I did my ears.

Here I'm doing the hair.

To simplify things, I used a scrap piece of fabric instead of the actual fur. It's important to create markers on the head that will help you line things up later.

I learned this technique from the Swazzle tutorial page found here.
They actually have a very good tutorial on this site that helped me out immensely, Here that is.

I suppose one could draw onto the heads fleece and cut it out as a pattern to use for the hair, but I have never done that. I've always just pinched, pinned and cut.

After you have your fleece cut out and glued into place, it's time to sew.
The Stitch I use is called the Henson Stitch. It's difficult to explain, So here's a youtube video of a guy explaining it. This is much easier to learn from, than the static webpage I learned from.

I glued my hair into place as I knew it would be too difficult to sew on. I glued a hem and then glued the hair into place, that way you don't see the edges of the fur.

Here's the head after stitching the top

2. At this point I put on the eyes. I used large black stuffed animal eyes that have the clip in the back. To put them on, I used an exact knife to cut a tiny hole through the fleece and foam. I then forced the eye through and clipped it into place.

Hope this works for you.
Sandwich signing off.

UPDATE::
Update Pattern link, and updated mouth board directions.

Update: 05.12.2013:
Corrected and updated the Head pattern, which was originally incorrectly scaled.
*thank you to radioactivearachnid for pointing out the error.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013 08:48:59 AM by bedalton » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sharalee
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

www.wists.com/SharaLee http://pinterest.com/sharalee3/pins/?filter=likes

Retired Hairstylist/Crafter

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012 07:05:57 PM »

Very interesting. I don't know if I'll be making one, but you never know. Thanks for the tute!!! I will save it for future projects. Lots of work went into this. Great Job!!! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.craftysisters-sharalee.blogspot.com

"Yet Another TM Patch Swap" RD 2/
"Craft My Pet for Me Swap"/Partner/
"Fabric Art Journal RD 3 Swap"/Partners/
"Make Purse & Wallet Swap/

Will do personal swaps!! I make Art Dolls/Junker Jane Dolls/also Teesha Moore Patches/Felt Badges
Makaylalee
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012 07:18:27 PM »

Very nice tutorial! You're a pro! Tongue  Awesome puppet too, I'd love to make my daughter one!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PixieVal

There is no right or wrong, when it comes to making art. Making sure that you have fun is the most important part. -Mickey Mouse

Did he just go crazy and fall asleep?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012 08:21:45 PM »

Wow that is awesome! Thanks for sharing your pattern and templates! I just might have to give it a go!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jinjeet Phoenix

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012 12:25:57 AM »

Aside from your puppet being so cute and well done, you've made an incredible tutorial. Thank you for taking the time and sharing it. I'll be bookmarking this wonderful tute.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
AMIFRIENDS

I LOVE MONKEYS!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2012 12:13:11 PM »

thank you for share this tut!!!! i love the result!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I DON,T NEED TO GET ORGANIZED. I JUST NEED A BIGGER CRAFT ROOM =)

Im up for personal swaps...

My wists:
http://www.wists.com/AMIFRIENDS

my pinterest:
http://pinterest.com/amifriends/
Chatter
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2012 12:16:47 PM »

Excellant instructions:)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mary Ann
hgddm

What a piece of work is man!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2012 04:49:57 PM »

He's adorable, and your tutorial is amazing. I can't wait to try this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

worn wasted

Did you borrow my crayon set?AND MY MIND?!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2012 07:46:34 PM »

Fantastic! Great work. There really isn't enough puppet building tutorials on the web! I would know, I searched high and low. I'm finishing up my first puppet.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ninjanator
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2012 06:09:20 PM »

This is pretty awesome - and really cute Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

when I'm wearing my crafty pants: etsy
...when I'm a pack rat: blog
...and when I feel like sharing: tutorials
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create a Gift Tag Using Wrapping Paper
How to Stitch Seams Together
How to Replace Yarn
How to Select Knitting Needles
How to Sew a Tote Bag
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...