A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 297,132
Currently Running With Scissors:
373 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Memory Wire Bracelets?  (Read 850 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Scream-a-little
« on: June 21, 2005 03:00:41 AM »

okay.. while scoping out the boards, i saw some lovely bracelets made with memory wire and seed beads.. so off i go down to the local bead shop.. i was about to make a present for a friend's daughter.. graduation gift to match her dress... anyways, i made the cutest little bracelet for her.. it really is lovely.. but it was a pain in the arse to make.. i put the little beads on one by one.. am i missing something??? i felt like i was going blind.. is there a beading needle u can use with memory wire? any help would be greatly appreciated.. cuz i have all my daughters and their friends asking for them now.. save me some grief!!  Cheesy cheers scream!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"One shoe can change your life"   Cinderella
krazigal72
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Jeweled Whore

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2005 10:42:21 AM »

not really. can you trying use larger beads?maybe E beads rather than tiny seed beads? you can really use a beading needle w/ memory wire
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Only dead fish go with the flow.

If you're gonna play with fire, then you're gonna get burned.

Craftster has the best Mod Squad ever. <3

Remind me that we'll always have each other
When everything else is gone.
darcangel
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2005 11:26:18 PM »

this might help - i saw this post where they used a "bead spinner" to rapidly pick up a bunch of beads on a needle or a wire. i'd never seen this before, but apparently it works, so maybe you could try it out and let us know how it goes.

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=19688.0

http://kimberlychapman.com/crafts/beadspinner.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I already made like an infinite of those at scout camp..." -Napoleon Dynamite
funkyjunkie
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2005 01:40:57 AM »

oh goodness! seed beads make me crazy!  Wink

Hmm, don't know how to remedy that w/ Memory Wire. The suggestion to use size 6 beads is a good one! Size 8s would work well, too. You can use just about anything tho.

Or, even better ... put together little kits for the girls or just have a beading party. I've done the memory wire bracelets w/ India glass beads and 6-9 year olds, and they love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

funky junkie ~ addictively good handcrafted jewelry ~ www.funkyjunkie.biz ~ the blog @ www.funkyjunkie.biz/blog
SKerri13
Tutorial Contributor

Don't Eat the Paste

conformity is subversive.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2005 04:12:43 AM »

It's an extra step, but easier and quicker for me then putting on the beads one at a time onto memory wire.
I thread Japanese seed beads (because they've got bigger holes then other kinds) onto a piece of thread, then slide the wire into the beads on the thread, then pull the thread out. (really a lot less complex then it sounds)
Also the suggestion to use bigger beads or let kids bead their own is great. I have a jar I keep my leftovers from projects, or imperfect beads in, and I let my daughter do that.
Size 8 triangles are just a bit larger then size 11s, but enough so it makes a difference and very sparkly because they have facets.
Another thing I love is the half drilled bead ends. So much neater and easier then bending the wire into a loop at the ends! I glue them on with superglue. The necklace wire, with the end beads makes lovely hair ornaments. Almost like a headband except they won't hold hair. Just a decoration.
(okay.. I'm babbling. I picked up some memory wire and end beads today for something I'm working on.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
What is the difference between film and digital cameras?
How to Light Eyes Properly in a Movie or Photo
How to Take Better Pictures Part 1
How to Clean a Digital SLR Sensor
What Blower Brush is Best for Your Camera
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...