A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 302,314
Currently Running With Scissors:
618 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: More Rag Quilts! Plus, I want your opinion!  (Read 1152 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

VintageMissRRT
Capturing Cottage Country

View Profile
« on: January 12, 2012 11:20:48 PM »

It was a rag quilt theme for this past Christmas... at least for the gifts I made. I already posted on the NFL themed ones I made, but I also made one for my younger brother (blue and green themed, which I apparently did not photograph grrr!!!), my sister in law, and myself.

I used flannel for all my rag quilts, and I am thinking about experimenting with quilters cotton for a  rag quilt. Cause the beauty of rag quilts is that you don't have to bind the edges (which I stink like a dead fish at).

I don't know my sister in law very well, but I do know two things about her: she loves cats and the color pink. So when I found pink flannel with cats on them, I knew that was the one for her. Plus she is ALWAYS cold. Even in SoCal, where they live.

Here is hers:

Now, I was making all these rag quilts and I decided I wanted one of my own. So I chose two flannels in two of my top ten favorite colors (tealy-blue and chocolate brown) with graphics I loved (music notes and hearts) and made my own wonkily designed rag quilt:

C&C always welcome.

Also, I would like to know what all of you Craftsters think about making a queen sized rag quilt/comforter from regular quilters cotton using flannel as the batting? I love the quilts that are lighter (weight wise) and I also love the cozy look that ragging produces. Do you think it would be a feasible?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

One tube of chapstick will last you the rest of your life if you magically manage not to lose it.
Otherwise it's a one week supply AT BEST.
Antidigger
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012 01:33:32 AM »

That is an awful lot of quilting! You are so kind to do all those for your family.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look twice, buy once. Nooooo
Look twice, decide I can make one instead.
LovelyMiss
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I don't need no instructions to know how to rock.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012 03:28:27 AM »

I actually made a queen size rag quilt for a recent swap using quilter's cotton and flannel as batting...it was a lot of fabric and a lot of cutting, but I really liked how it turned out in the end.  It was kind of a pain maneuvering all of the fabric as I started to connect the rows (and I have a finicky sewing machine) so a couple sqaures got kind of wonky, but overall, the weight was light and comfortable.  I posted it as a project, in case you're curious (http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=401923.0). 

I say go for it, it's definitely feasible!  I'd love to see how it turns out...and good luck!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mrs Shak
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012 04:56:02 AM »

I haven't made a queen size but I use cotton all the time, flannel would make it a little lighter weight like lovelymiss said. I say go for it! Just make sure you go to the laundry mat to rag it! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Funny, I don't remember being absentminded...

I need a skein (two would be great) of Knit Picks Gloss Bare sock weight to finish a shawl.

My Pinterest
LovelyMiss
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I don't need no instructions to know how to rock.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012 06:04:25 AM »

I haven't made a queen size but I use cotton all the time, flannel would make it a little lighter weight like lovelymiss said. I say go for it! Just make sure you go to the laundry mat to rag it! Wink

True words...go to the laundry mat!  I'm still vacuuming up after the one I made...my laundry room looked like the aftermath of a lint blizzard.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

VintageMissRRT
Capturing Cottage Country

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012 09:38:40 AM »

I actually made a queen size rag quilt for a recent swap using quilter's cotton and flannel as batting...it was a lot of fabric and a lot of cutting, but I really liked how it turned out in the end.  It was kind of a pain maneuvering all of the fabric as I started to connect the rows (and I have a finicky sewing machine) so a couple sqaures got kind of wonky, but overall, the weight was light and comfortable.  I posted it as a project, in case you're curious (http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=401923.0). 

I say go for it, it's definitely feasible!  I'd love to see how it turns out...and good luck!  Smiley

I just took a gander at yours, and I LOVED it! Thanks for your input, I really wanted the opinion from someone who has made one already.

Yeah, found that out the hard way when I made my first rag quilt lol. And it was also the smallest!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

One tube of chapstick will last you the rest of your life if you magically manage not to lose it.
Otherwise it's a one week supply AT BEST.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Film Lab: Lighting Ratios
Top Slow-motion videos
How to Use Light Meters
Repo Men - Watch This Instead
Feeding Your Crew at the Film Set
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!
Meatless Monday: Chia Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...