In November of 2011 I attended a scientific Illustration workshop at a Sydney museum and fell in love with scientific drawing but also the look and feel of museums and scientific specimens. This fits so well into the whole victorian steampunk vibe and I decided to combine my two current obsessions to create some steampunk butterfly specimens from paper:
Both together. The frames measure roughly 2.5 x 3.5 inches.
Butterfly 1 sans frame. The wings were drawn onto a rough watercolour paper, painted and cut out seperately before being reassembled with the body. The body was made from paperclay which was painted when dry. The background is scarbooking paper mounted to chipboard and aged with brown ink. The label was cut from a clothing tag, hand lettered and aged with more brown ink and adhered with double sided tape. The butterfly was glued into place with glue dots and mounting tape.
With frame. The frame was a standard mini-picture frame with a deep back. To make it into a shadow box frame I glued the glass into place and discarded the original backingand clips. I cut chipboard the same size as the frame and assembled the butterfly in place. The frame was then glued into place over the butterfly.
Butterfly 2 sans frame. This butterfly was made the same as the first. To create the pattern I used watercolours to lay down a base colouring then used two different colours of stamping ink, black and silver, to stencil through a piece of lace. The effect was subtler here, but I still like it. The frame was assembled in the same manner as butterfly 1.
Hope you like them, I'm happy to answer any questions.