A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 299,132
Currently Running With Scissors:
751 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Babushka's (Nesting Dolls) w/ pattern  (Read 4253 times)
Tags for this thread: pattern , babushka , nesting_dolls  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

LiritKiraly
« on: January 10, 2012 06:38:12 PM »

I totally love these nesting dolls, but in town they cost £30 a set! So I figured, I could just crochet myself a set Smiley I should have worked in rows (not rounds, so the faces arn't stepped) but I didnt really think about that untill it came to stitching features... So that why they are quite plain (I was a little disheartend) but still, I'm pleased with the final outcome, and have plans for more exhuberant sets Cheesy (Not that the pattern was hard to figure, but I kept a note anyhow, so future sets will be easy to work up and spare all that counting! LOL)

The finished project:

And one mid-project:

As always C&C more than welcome, and thanks for taking a look Cheesy

Ok, cool!

I worked them all in single crochet with dk yarn and a 3mm hook, and I like to use the magic ring to start... but I'm sure a chain would be fine:) (pull me up if I make a mistake, I tend to write my own patterns in a cross between US and UK terminology, So I'll try and get it all right Cheesy) and I recommend using a ss to join rounds, but I'll write it as I worked it, which was in in the rounds...

First doll:

6st magic ring....... 6st
inc in ea st........... 12st
*1sc, inc*............ 18st
sc in ea st - (Here I did 8st in red, 2 in white, 8st in red)......18st
sc in ea st - (here I did &st in red, $st in white, 7st in red)....18st for 3 rounds
sc in ea st - (Here I did 8st in red, 2 in white, 8st in red)......18st (8rounds so far)
sc in ea st (all in the red)......18st
*2sc, inc*...........24st
sc in ea st........ 24st (4 rounds)
*2sc, dec*........18st - Stuff firmly
*1sc, dec*(in back loops).....12st
*dec*.... 6st (17rounds altogether)
finish off

Doll 2 (In halves now)

Bottom half:
6st magic ring..... 6st
*inc*................12st
*1sc, inc*.........18st
*2sc, inc* (in back loops)..... 24st
*3sc, inc*..........30st
sc in ea st........ 30st (4 rounds)
finish off

Top half:
6st magic ring.....6st
*1sc, inc*..........18st
sc in ea st...........24st (I did 11red stiches, 2 white stitches, 11 red stitches)
sc in ea st..........24st (I did 10 red, 4 white, 10 red for 3 rounds)
sc in ea st.........24st (11 red, 2 white, 11 red)
*3sc, inc*.......30st
sc in ea st.......30st (for 3 rounds - 15 rounds altogether. But depending on thickness of yarn, you may need to add or take off rows from this last set of 5 untill it sits over the first doll and meets the bottom half)

3rd Doll:

Bottom:
6st magic ring
*inc*
*1sc, inc*
*2sc, inc*
*3sc, inc* (in back loops)
*4sc, inc*
sc in ea st for 5 rounds

Top:
6st magic ring
*inc*
*1sc, inc*
*2sc, inc*
*3sc, inc*
sc in ea st (14 red, 3 white, 13red)
sc in ea st (13 red, 5 white, 12 red) x 3 rounds
sc in ea st (14 red, 3 white, 13 red)
sc in ea st (all red)
*4sc, inc*
sc in ea st for 2 rounds
finish off

4th Doll:
Same as before with an additional row of increases so: bottom = *3sc, inc* the nxt row is *4sc, inc* (in bk loops)
top:*4sc, inc* before you start the sc in ea st for the face....
Adjust final rows of sc in ea st so that the bottom half lines up with the other bottom halves, and the top half meets the bottom and covers the previous doll Cheesy

my 5th doll had the same increases to make it bigger and the pattern just carries on for more dolls if desired Cheesy

Hope this makes some sense  Wink if not, let me know and I'll try to explain myself better Cheesy

EDIT:

I've made another set with thinner yarn and I did need to sort of wing it with those 5 rows of sc at the end of the top half to make sure I did do enough rows to cover the previous doll... Simple enough, at least I  thought so :S Also, I did the second set still working in rounds but changed the face shape to a sort of 'shield' shape, and found this looks much better at the 'step' from the rounds and the colour change isnt as obvious Smiley so for example on the face, I did the top row, 2nd row, 3rd row, 4th row of the white with 5 stitches and then the last row of the face was the only row I did fewer white stitches (for the chin)

« Last Edit: May 21, 2013 07:38:43 AM by pinkleo » THIS ROCKS   Logged

♪♫♪ We never are what we intend or invent ♫♪
Mrs Shak
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012 06:53:42 PM »

How cool are those! I love nesting dolls. Now my eldest wants me to crochet them for her. lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Funny, I don't remember being absentminded...

I need a skein (two would be great) of Knit Picks Gloss Bare sock weight to finish a shawl.

My Pinterest
LiritKiraly
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012 07:07:57 PM »

Would love to see yours if you make some Smiley I can try and change my scrappy notes into the pattern I used if you like, though I've only been crocheting on a more serious basis for a few months so I'm certain any experience crocheter can whip something like this up (and better than me) in no time Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mrs Shak
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012 07:26:56 PM »

That'd be awesome if you would share your pattern. Maybe consider it a test crochet...
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012 07:27:38 PM by Mrs Shak » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I need a skein (two would be great) of Knit Picks Gloss Bare sock weight to finish a shawl.

My Pinterest
LiritKiraly
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2012 08:08:33 PM »

Ok, cool!

I worked them all in single crochet with dk yarn and a 3mm hook, and I like to use the magic ring to start... but I'm sure a chain would be fine:) (pull me up if I make a mistake, I tend to write my own patterns in a cross between US and UK terminology, So I'll try and get it all right Cheesy) and I recommend using a ss to join rounds, but I'll write it as I worked it, which was in in the rounds...

First doll:

6st magic ring....... 6st
inc in ea st........... 12st
*1sc, inc*............ 18st
sc in ea st - (Here I did 8st in red, 2 in white, 8st in red)......18st
sc in ea st - (here I did &st in red, $st in white, 7st in red)....18st for 3 rounds
sc in ea st - (Here I did 8st in red, 2 in white, 8st in red)......18st (8rounds so far)
sc in ea st (all in the red)......18st
sc in ea st........ 24st (4 rounds)
*2sc, dec*........18st - Stuff firmly
*1sc, dec*(in back loops).....12st
*dec*.... 6st (17rounds altogether)
finish off

Doll 2 (In halves now)

Bottom half:
6st magic ring..... 6st
*1sc, inc*.........18st
*2sc, inc* (in back loops)..... 24st
*3sc, inc*..........30st
sc in ea st........ 30st (4 rounds)
finish off

Top half:
6st magic ring.....6st
*1sc, inc*..........18st
sc in ea st...........24st (I did 11red stiches, 2 white stitches, 11 red stitches)
sc in ea st..........24st (I did 10 red, 4 white, 10 red for 3 rounds)
sc in ea st.........24st (11 red, 2 white, 11 red)
*3sc, inc*.......30st
sc in ea st.......30st (for 3 rounds - 15 rounds altogether. But depending on thickness of yarn, you may need to add or take off rows from this last set of 5 untill it sits over the first doll and meets the bottom half)

3rd Doll:

Bottom:
6st magic ring
*inc*
*1sc, inc*
*2sc, inc*
*3sc, inc* (in back loops)
*4sc, inc*
sc in ea st for 5 rounds

Top:
6st magic ring
*inc*
*1sc, inc*
*2sc, inc*
*3sc, inc*
sc in ea st (14 red, 3 white, 13red)
sc in ea st (13 red, 5 white, 12 red) x 3 rounds
sc in ea st (14 red, 3 white, 13 red)
sc in ea st (all red)
*4sc, inc*
sc in ea st for 2 rounds
finish off

4th Doll:
Same as before with an additional row of increases so: bottom = *3sc, inc* the nxt row is *4sc, inc* (in bk loops)
top:*4sc, inc* before you start the sc in ea st for the face....
Adjust final rows of sc in ea st so that the bottom half lines up with the other bottom halves, and the top half meets the bottom and covers the previous doll Cheesy

my 5th doll had the same increases to make it bigger and the pattern just carries on for more dolls if desired Cheesy

Hope this makes some sense  Wink if not, let me know and I'll try to explain myself better Cheesy

EDIT:

I've made another set with thinner yarn and I did need to sort of wing it with those 5 rows of sc at the end of the top half to make sure I did do enough rows to cover the previous doll... Simple enough, at least I  thought so :S Also, I did the second set still working in rounds but changed the face shape to a sort of 'shield' shape, and found this looks much better at the 'step' from the rounds and the colour change isnt as obvious Smiley so for example on the face, I did the top row, 2nd row, 3rd row, 4th row of the white with 5 stitches and then the last row of the face was the only row I did fewer white stitches (for the chin)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012 04:47:59 PM by LiritKiraly - Reason: second attempt at pattern » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mrs Shak
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012 04:45:14 PM »

Thanks, I'll try it out this weekend
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest
susie in the sky
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2012 12:51:58 AM »

They're lovely!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My crafty, eco-y, charity shopp-y, vegan-y, happy-y blog...

http://secondhandsusie.blogspot.co.uk/
LiritKiraly
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2012 06:50:50 PM »

Thanks!! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mienchen
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2013 10:43:06 AM »

Shocked i have to kiss you  Kiss soooooo beautiful

i love Matryoshkas .... my grandparents had a set of 7 or 10 made out of wood with beautiful paintings... when I was a child i always played with them

i searched a long time for a crochet version because my grandma loved to crochet and now i wanted to combine her passion with mine Smiley

thank you so much for sharing this pattern when I find the time to make it i will post a picture.

greets
mienchen
THIS ROCKS   Logged

help my with my dream: http://igg.me/p/304644/x/1898754
madame marigold
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2013 01:43:45 PM »

I love them! They are beautiful.....I hope you dont mind but I would like to try and make them for the "Amigurumi craft-along im doing! I will def. acknowledge you as the pattern authoress......these are very, very cool!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Using Content-Aware Scaling in Photoshop CS4
How to Create a Video in PowerPoint
How to Draw Kim Kardashian
How to Draw Kif Kroker From Futurama
How to Draw Justin From Total Drama Action
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...