A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,105
Currently Running With Scissors:
493 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fabric for bead embroidery?  (Read 1002 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

CraftFro

I'm all beady these days.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: January 09, 2012 08:59:30 PM »

Hi Crafty Peeps,

I am trying to up my beading skills and really want to start beading around cabochons. I have a few tutorial links but have found myself in a quandary. The two tutorials call for either Stacy's Stiff Fabric or some other product with a similar name. Well, I went to my local craft megastore and they don't stock it.

Can you suggest an alternative fabric for cabochon backing?  I'd really like to buy it at a local craft store (we only have the big major retailers here - JoAnns, Michael's and Hobby Lobby) and not on the internet. I tried regular suede and felt and they both sucked. lol

Don't know what I'm looking to do? Here is a site with a lot of BEAUTIFUL (far beyond my skill level) bead embroidered pieces.  -- http://www.serafinibeadedjewelry.com/neck.php ... okay maybe I just included that link because the pieces are so delightful..

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm addicted to polyclay and beads right now. HELP!
CraftFro

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012 04:43:05 PM »

I have a temporary solution! A great friend of mine, who is not a crafter, was in the store and remembered my whining about something to stabilize my small bead embroidery and bought me a package (1yrd) of Stitch-nSew, cut away Sew In Stabilizer (meduim weight) and thus far IT IS PERFECT. I stitched small sample piece and will be making the bigger piece in the next few weeks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

white_lilyblossom
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012 03:18:42 PM »

I've had the same problem, since we're kind of primitive when it comes to craft materials here and I didn't want to order a big amount of some unidentified stuff online before I've even tried my hand at bead embroidery once. So I went to a local fabric store to look at what they have, and I recommend faux leather, the thin kind. I'm only on my third project but I find it very easy to work with, it's easily cut, sturdy and doesn't fray.
And btw, that site was my main inspiration in starting to bead, too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Addicted to beads
CraftFro

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012 10:28:05 PM »

Thanks! I'll definitely put the faux leather on my list of fabrics to try! I like the look of the pieces made with more expensive pieces but would really like to work on my skills before I sink the few crafting dollars I have into materials.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Callatya
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012 07:40:13 AM »

Most of the time bead embroiderers use LSS (Lacey's Stiff Stuff) to do the actual embroidery on and Ultrasuede as a backing. Ultrasuede is a sort of compressed faux suede rather than a woven one. 

I've used a bunch of things, but the best substitute for LSS in my area is cheap acrylic felt. It is compressed and easy to stitch through, much like LSS, but has more wayward fibres. For the backing fabric, you can use pretty much anything providing you seal the edges with some sort of anti-fray liquid. Microsuede (a woven faux suede) is a good choice, but so is light denim, cotton drill, and I've even seen people use fake leadlight paint to cover/secure the stitches. I'd avoid real leather unless you have a thimble and a lot of patience. Deerhide might be OK, but I tried pigskin lining (the inner split, looks suede-like and is pretty thin) and it was quite difficult!

Hope you have success! :-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Tim Gunn: Three Fashion Faux Pas
Tim Gunn On The Black Leather Jacket
The Five Items Every Woman Should Have In Her Closet, from Tim Gunn
Lauren Conrad Shows How to Brighten Up Your Fall Wardrobe with Yellow
Your Guide to the Best Halloween Costumes for 2012
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...